Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Using Stata on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Using Stata on Ubuntu

I'm on 32-bit Natty. Sorry, should've mentioned that. I just wanted to put the syntax out there for the other 32-bit Ubuntu/Stata users.

Apart from the statically linked Stata version, you could
    ...try an older 64-bit version of libtiff (http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick-updates/libtiff4 or http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/libtiff4)
    ...try to install dependencies using getlibs (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790 or http://explore-ubuntu.blogspot.com/2010/04/getlibs.html)
    ...compile libtiff from source

Yes, the i386 subfolder is odd but I have that on both of my machines.
    "Bergeron fans on a pass, Stefan steals and he'll ice it. Oh - at least I thought he was gonna until he blew it. That's unbelievable! Here come the Oilers the other way and Hemsky's loose... Hemsky, HE SCORES!!! CAN YOU..BELIEVE..WHAT WE..JUST SAW??"

Beans
    Distro

I just installed 64-bit in Virtualbox and then installed the 64-bit version of Stata (dynamically linked).

I got "the usual error messages" (http://linuxscrapbook.wordpress.com/...r-ubuntu-9-10/) but after

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.3 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0
    sudo apt-get install libgtksourceview1.0-0
    Stata worked without problems.

As you posted your questions before the official Natty release and since your /usr/lib folder look different than mine, maybe your problems have to do with the fact that you used the beta version?!
    Last edited by knattlhuber; May 2nd, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
    "Bergeron fans on a pass, Stefan steals and he'll ice it. Oh - at least I thought he was gonna until he blew it. That's unbelievable! Here come the Oilers the other way and Hemsky's loose... Hemsky, HE SCORES!!! CAN YOU..BELIEVE..WHAT WE..JUST SAW??"

Beans

I was running a 64-bit 10.10, and 64-bit Stata 11c, and when I upgraded, I got the libtiff error, with the whole ELF deal as well.

This single command fixed the problem for me, providing a 64-bit libtiff.so.3 (dynamic link to the libtiff.so.4).

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.3 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3

Beans

Yeah, I'm going to chalk this one up to my using the beta version of Natty. All's well now. I didn't have to bother with libgtksourceview1.

Thanks for the help.

Beans

I'm trying to install Stata10 on 64-bit Ubuntu 11.04 and running into troubles. I tried using the same basic code I've had work on the 32-bit version, and it's not working well. The install and serial number verification go fine, and I have tried the various libtiff reassignments listed above, but nonetheless when I type "xstata" or "xstata-se" I get the reply "command not found".

Any help or a brief walk-through of what you guys have done to get it to work on 64-bit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Beans

when you refer to "PATH variable" what exactly are you referring to? I have tried executing the command via that path, if that's what you're asking, yes.

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Distro

Never mind the PATH variable for now. Let's first find out in which location it is installed.

Type

Code:
    locate xstata
    in a terminal window. I expect that it's in /usr/local/stata (NOT /usr/local/stata11 as in my other post).

In that case

Code:
    /usr/local/stata/xstata
    should start Stata (or whatever path the locate command showed).

If that works, you can add that path permanently to your PATH variable to save you from always typing the full path:

Code:
    cd
    echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/stata' >> .bashrc
    Note that for the export command you use only the path to the folder, not the complete path. Restart the terminal and type

Code:
    xstata
    to test.

Beans

I appreciate the help. It's installed in the correct directory and I have properly cross-checked the references. "/usr/local/stata10/" and when I try to run xstata from that directory, it reports that the command cannot be found, though the files are clearly installed in the directory...

Beans
    Distro

Strange. Not sure what's going on.

- Did you do xstata or ./xstata when in /usr/local/stata10 ? Only the latter will work.
    - Did you run ./stinit at the end of the installation?
    - Is xstata executable (although I believe that shouldn't give a "command not found" error) ? -- (Fix: sudo chmod +x /usr/local/stata10/xstata)

That's all I can think of..

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast