Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Stata on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Using Stata on Ubuntu

I'm having a problem with the 'update all' command. Stata claims that "cannot write in directory /usr/local/stata11/ado/updates/".

I cant't get Stata to run as super user. Tried the following:

sudo stata
    sudo: stata: command not found

sudo xstata
    sudo: xstata: command not found

How do I run Stata with privileges so that it can update itself?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Seems like /usr/local is not in your PATH variable.

Try the complete path, e.g.
    Code:
    sudo /usr/local/stata11/xstata
    If you have Stata/SE, do
    Code:
    sudo /usr/local/stata11/xstata-se
    "Bergeron fans on a pass, Stefan steals and he'll ice it. Oh - at least I thought he was gonna until he blew it. That's unbelievable! Here come the Oilers the other way and Hemsky's loose... Hemsky, HE SCORES!!! CAN YOU..BELIEVE..WHAT WE..JUST SAW??"

Beans

I seem to be having trouble with Stata in Ubuntu 11.04. It was working fine before I updated.

After updating, I got the error message "error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory." I created a link from libtiff.so.4 and named it libtiff.so.3 and I got the same message. The libtiff.so.4 was actually in my /usr/lib32, so I copied the link to /usr/lib.

I then got the following error message: "xstata: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32"

The file is 32 bit: I typed "file /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4.3.3" and got "/usr/lib32/libtiff.so.4.3.3: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped" I'm running the 64 bit version of Stata.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro

I'm not running 11.04 so I can't reproduce the error and I just have to guess:

1) Is there a 64-bit version of libtiff that you could try?
    2) You could try installing the statically linked Stata version. That should (theoretically) install all required libraries.
    "Bergeron fans on a pass, Stefan steals and he'll ice it. Oh - at least I thought he was gonna until he blew it. That's unbelievable! Here come the Oilers the other way and Hemsky's loose... Hemsky, HE SCORES!!! CAN YOU..BELIEVE..WHAT WE..JUST SAW??"

Beans

I don't think there's a 64 bit libtiff. I'll looking into installing the statically linked version. It's puzzling to me that it worked before and won't worked now... I don't see what's relevant that's changed.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I guess the update installed a new version of libtiff that doesn't work with Stata. Installing the statically linked version will install all libraries that Stata needs instead of linking to what's already there (and doesn't work in your case).
    Please let us know how it went.

Beans

well thanks for your help. I'm pretty busy now, so for the time being I'm going to use stata instead of xstata, and I'll hope things resolve themselves.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MetapostAddict View Post
    I seem to be having trouble with Stata in Ubuntu 11.04. It was working fine before I updated.

After updating, I got the error message "error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory." I created a link from libtiff.so.4 and named it libtiff.so.3 and I got the same message. The libtiff.so.4 was actually in my /usr/lib32, so I copied the link to /usr/lib.

I then got the following error message: "xstata: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32"

The file is 32 bit: I typed "file /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4.3.3" and got "/usr/lib32/libtiff.so.4.3.3: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped" I'm running the 64 bit version of Stata.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Upgraded to Natty and encountered the same problem.

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.3 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    fixed it for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by knattlhuber View Post
    Upgraded to Natty and encountered the same problem.

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.3 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    fixed it for me.
    And you're using the 64bit version of Stata?

This did not work for me. It's what I tried before, and I still get "xstata: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32"

Beans

As an aside, it seems strange that you even have a folder at "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/". I assumed all natty users had the same file structure for root. I have /usr/lib32/, which contains the libtiff.so.4.3.3.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast