Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KDE distros?

Beans

Re: KDE distros?

I agree, try PCLOS.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear intelligent until you hear them speak.

Beans

How good are the PClinuxOS repositories? That's the one thing that holds me back from leaving Ubuntu. PCLinuxOS uses APT right?

Beans

They say there is over 5000 apps in their repositories. All of the most common ones are there. I'm not sure what isn't but with Ubuntu having over 20,000 in theirs, in must be a lot. And PCLOS does indeed use Apt.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear intelligent until you hear them speak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

5000 aps is pretty resonable

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

You may want to give Mandriva and Fedora a look. Neither are KDE specific, but that doesn't mean they're not worth checking out
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by babyhuey View Post
    How good are the PClinuxOS repositories? That's the one thing that holds me back from leaving Ubuntu. PCLinuxOS uses APT right?
    PCLOS uses apt4rpm, which means that the apt program has been modified to install rpm packages. It is not debian based, nor does it use .deb packages.

The PCLOS repos are quite good. While they aren't as big, I find them more useful, since they have programs like cinellera included and also get updated a little more (pidgin was added after release). I would think about donating the $20 to get the faster repo's as well, ibiblio and most of the main public mirrors are rather slow (70-80 kbps)

EDIT: I agree with Adamant, Fedora has a nice KDE setup if you change the icon theme, and Mandriva has one of the best KDE setups out there. Both are worth a shot.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

OpenSUSE has got a nice KDE setup too

Beans

Also give SimplyMepis 6.5 a try. It was built on debian and is now based on ubuntu 6.06 so the dapper repos are there out of the box+you can add newer stuff too. It comes with beryl available out of the box and has a set of Mepis-specific performance hacks and a bunch of custom gui-config tools that are really well designed. It is basically Kubuntu made with as much focus on KDE as Ubuntu has on GNOME. It's very flashy and very stable.

I still use kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

man I miss using Ubuntu I think I'll install it on my machine again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123