Thread: Question about PSP and Ogg...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question about PSP and Ogg...

Hi there, I have a question again (imagine that ).

I have had a PSP for a long time, almost since it was out. I like how its layed out and works, and I can use it without any trouble on my Ubuntu computer (not to mention no DRM, YAY!). My question pertains to media formats. I was recently reading Aysiu's post here about Ubuntu's aproach to free software. It made me think that I should use more open formats, I don't mind either converting from lossy formats and losing a bit of quality (I am far from an audiophile, I wouldn't notice in all likelihood). My one concern is that I want to be sure I can still drag and drop my media formats into my PSP.

So is there a way to hack the PSP so that it can support Ogg Vorbis and Theora formats? A substitute firmware maybe? I am very techy (just not so hacker oriented when it comes to PSP), I wouldn't mind giving it a shot if there was a way (and hopefully a safety net where I could download the default firmware to flash in case of failure). So anyone know of a site with such a guide/firmware? I searched forums and didn't see anything, and if not, crush my hopes right now. I would like to have a definitive answer.

*crosses fingers for a yes*

I'll be back after supper, I'm cooking tonight .

PS: I hope this is right place to ask question, I know its a bit out of scope of Ubuntu, but I haven't seen many PSP hacker forums interested in open formats you know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Question about PSP and Ogg...

alright, here's the thing... there isn't a way to do that with the PSP OS. Think of it as an iPod, there are VERY VERY few mods or hacks for it simply because those kinds of devices are too simple. They don't need support for hacking and such unlike computers do. It's hard to explain but unless sony comes out with it, there's a very LOW chance it will work. Sorry but on the bright side there's MILLIONs of conversion tools that will fix this, I don't know any off hand but try google'ing it

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Question about PSP and Ogg...

Quote Originally Posted by xMAVERICKx01 View Post
    alright, here's the thing... there isn't a way to do that with the PSP OS. Think of it as an iPod, there are VERY VERY few mods or hacks for it simply because those kinds of devices are too simple. They don't need support for hacking and such unlike computers do. It's hard to explain but unless sony comes out with it, there's a very LOW chance it will work. Sorry but on the bright side there's MILLIONs of conversion tools that will fix this, I don't know any off hand but try google'ing it
    Hmmm, what about this?

Seems like it supports the ogg formats and a load of others. Too good to be true? I downloaded it and had a look, its a simple PBP file. How do those work exactly?

Edit: nvm, I just realized its a movie player only, I kinda need more audio functionality.... oh well >.>.
    Last edited by starcraft.man; May 29th, 2007 at 04:17 AM.