View Poll Results: Would you use anti virus for linux?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I am more experienced with Linux

14 14.00%
  • Yes, and I am more experienced with Windows

18 18.00%
  • No, and I am more experienced with Linux

31 31.00%
  • No, and I am more experienced with Windows

37 37.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you use anti virus for linux?

Beans

Re: Would you use anti virus for linux?

This question is outdated.

Virus threats are trivial to computer users when compared to malware.

Viruses are kid stuff. Malware/spyware is big business. There's a compelling financial motive to distribute spy/malware, and it seems to be regarded as legal in the US.

For reasons that are not clear to me, anti-spy/malware software has not reached the competence and effectiveness levels of AV programs.

The only reason I'm on Linux now is because of the sheer hopelessness of using XP on the net and keeping it uninfected and fully functional. I'm repeatedly seeing claims that over 90% of tech support calls these days are due to problems caused by malware.
    Doing things the hard way does not mean you're smart.
    Doing things the hard way means you're stupid.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well,

I hope I don't need to....but I would if I did. ©

I allready use ClamAV for emails (even if it's useless)

And I'm more concerned about spyware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

We have just recently installed a Squid web cache/proxy on Ubuntu Linux and have realised that without antivirus on this server we are severely vulnerable to attack. Each time we put the Squid system into production and moved some Windows users from their old M$ proxy an outbreak would occur. The Squid system seems to let viruses through onto the network and our Windows clients max out trying to fight the attack (we have McAfee protecting most of the Windows systems).

A couple of months back I would have laughed if anyone asked if I would use antivirus on a Linux server but now I realise it is a must if you support both Linux and Windows clients (which most organisations do). We are looking to migrate our file and print services from M$ to Linux in the near future but will have to resolve the antivirus problem first.

Beans

I don't run any AV programs on Windows, and I don't plan on doing it on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have one (ClamAV) installed, but I will only use an anti-virus program in Linux if I'm using documents which are shared back and forth with Windows users. Why punish them for not following my lead. That's not really my style.

For as long as I use Windows, anti-virus and firewall software, and spyware prevention solutions are a must. I'm almost at a point, though, where I can handle Internet stuff exclusively within Linux. With its capability to write onto FAT partitions and floppy disks, I see no reason continue to use Windows indefinitely to download Windows software on a dual-boot system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    You may not need to use antivirus if you're smart about what you do, but you really should use a firewall. There's one built into XP SP2, if you have it.
    "Uncle Horndog" had a new XP SP1 machine last year. After a few months of surfing selected sites with IE, he brought it to me to clean up the spyware. I did so (and vowed never to do it again) then tightened the security on the machine.

I then installed SP2, and went back to the security settings to check, and the restrictions I had put in effect disappeared. The firewall SP2 installed had a few incoming holes in it (so Microsoft could remotely fix his computer?!?) so I closed them.

I then ran Windows Update and rechecked. The settings were again relaxed, and some of the ports I closed off had reopened.

Moral: You're much better off with a $50 Linksys router or a Smoothwall box (great for dialup) than you are with a softwall firewall that updates can monkey with.

I'd even suggest using one on your home LAN if you're installing unofficial packages on your Ubuntu machine, especially if it's not in source straight from the author. After all, you're usually running as root when doing the installation -- do you really know where that software's been?

Beans

Crap!

I hit Yes, and I am more experienced with Linux when I ment to hit Yes, and I am more experienced with Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would if I needed to, but right now I don't need to... so whats the point.

Hopefully Linux never gets to the point where we need anti-virus plus 3 different spyware apps running, but if Linux gets as popular as Windows is now... that may just be wishful thinking unfortunately.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123