Page 45 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Ok, something just happened to my comp... screen is messed up because dual view blew up. My graphics card might be broken, I can get only one screen at a time (even from boot time).

I'm rolling back the btnx-0.3.3 update, just in case. I'll try to get it fixed once I get my own computer back in shape.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

I would get claustrophobic with only one screen.

My problem only seems to exist when /etc/udev/rules.d/99-btnx.rules is there. When I remove 99-btnx.rules the system boots fine. I had to try booting several times before I got a workable mouse. When I did, I noticed that there were about 15 copies of btnx running. I have a feeling that the perceived hang is just the system creating lots of btnx processes.

# /etc/init.d/btnx start causes no errors.

Content of 99-btnx.rules is:
    BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="046d", SYSFS{idProduct}=="c51a", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/etc/init.d/btnx start"
    BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="046d", SYSFS{idProduct}=="c51a", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/etc/init.d/btnx stop"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RVDowning View Post
    I would get claustrophobic with only one screen.

My problem only seems to exist when /etc/udev/rules.d/99-btnx.rules is there. When I remove 99-btnx.rules the system boots fine. I had to try booting several times before I got a workable mouse. When I did, I noticed that there were about 15 copies of btnx running. I have a feeling that the perceived hang is just the system creating lots of btnx processes.

# /etc/init.d/btnx start causes no errors.

Content of 99-btnx.rules is:
    BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="046d", SYSFS{idProduct}=="c51a", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/etc/init.d/btnx start"
    BUS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="046d", SYSFS{idProduct}=="c51a", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/etc/init.d/btnx stop"
    I tried fixing the 0.3.3 version. Download it again from here:
    http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/btnx-0.3.3.tar.gz

Again, if there are problems booting, just remove the 99-btnx.rules file. You can always regenerate it by pressing the "Save" or "Restart btnx" button in btnx-config.

This one has a little more intelligent PID file creation and process removal... there is a slight problem with the MX Revolution mouse because it is recognized twice by the system (one for the mouse, other for the search button). This causes udev to try to start btnx twice, which causes a bunch of other problems. Hopefully it's fixed now, I've been fighting this problem since v.0.3.0 . I'll release this version if it works well for you.

Now to start looking for a new dual-DVI gfx card
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Still no go. Easiest way to recreate the problem is just to click the "Restart btnx" button in btnx-config. The btnx-config application hangs at that point. I can see that btnx has started, but my test buttons do not work.

If I try it again, namely killing btnx-config and reexecuting it again, and do the same thing, it will initiate a second occurrance of btnx, so that there will be two of them running. There couldn't be any weird permissions issues could there?

If I kill the btns that btnx-config has started, I will then get the error popup which says: Failed to execute command: "/etc/init.d/btnx restart". Make sure btnx is installed correctly.

I guess I will just learn to live with the two mouse buttons, until I get ambitious enough to dig through the documentation to see how to set the buttons up the standard way.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RVDowning View Post
    Still no go. Easiest way to recreate the problem is just to click the "Restart btnx" button in btnx-config. The btnx-config application hangs at that point. I can see that btnx has started, but my test buttons do not work.

If I try it again, namely killing btnx-config and reexecuting it again, and do the same thing, it will initiate a second occurrance of btnx, so that there will be two of them running. There couldn't be any weird permissions issues could there?

If I kill the btns that btnx-config has started, I will then get the error popup which says: Failed to execute command: "/etc/init.d/btnx restart". Make sure btnx is installed correctly.

I guess I will just learn to live with the two mouse buttons, until I get ambitious enough to dig through the documentation to see how to set the buttons up the standard way.

Thanks for your help.
    Ok, that is strange. I'm downloading Mandriva and will install it on another partition... curious to see what is wrong.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Be careful!!! There is always the possibility that you will like Mandriva more than Ubuntu.

Beans

Is there a way to get program specific settings for buttons? I figure I could just make a script of some sort that the button would run that would send different keypresses for different programs, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Does anyone know of any good resources for something like that?

EDIT: BTW I love this program! The interface is nice, the buttons are easy to set up, and it recognized the buttons on my mouse without any problems. It installed on my fresh 64-bit 7.10 setup without any problems. I can't thank you enough for your work on this program!
    Last edited by Drawde; October 19th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.

Beans

I have an MX revolution and am just trying this again. I have 2 issues

1: My buttons aren't binding correctly. I can't get mouse 4 and 5 working, set up as KEY_LEFT and KEY_RIGHT with KEY_LEFTALT as a modifier. I can't get the search button to be Mouse3. Setting it to BTN_MIDDLE doesn't work, and setting it to BTN_3 gives an error. The button 4 acts as Mouse3, the button 5 acts as Mouse2. and I remember in an older version I could not only get this set up correctly, but it was set up correctly by default.

2: I like how it now supports the functionality of the scroll wheel, but is there a way to make it increase the speed you need to make it to go into free scroll mode? It does it too easily. It also keeps scrolling even if I stop the wheel.
    Last edited by Curlydave; October 20th, 2007 at 07:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Drawde View Post
    Is there a way to get program specific settings for buttons? I figure I could just make a script of some sort that the button would run that would send different keypresses for different programs, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Does anyone know of any good resources for something like that?

EDIT: BTW I love this program! The interface is nice, the buttons are easy to set up, and it recognized the buttons on my mouse without any problems. It installed on my fresh 64-bit 7.10 setup without any problems. I can't thank you enough for your work on this program!
    I'm glad you find it useful!

This a feature I've been thinking about for a few months, but haven't been able to implement it yet. I was thinking of multiple configuration files, and then being able to tell to btnx which one of these to use... so you could bind a button to switch to different configurations (coding, gaming, internet, blender, gimp, etc).

Hopefully I'll have time to get it done some day.
    Last edited by daou; October 20th, 2007 at 09:01 AM.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave View Post
    I have an MX revolution and am just trying this again. I have 2 issues

1: My buttons aren't binding correctly. I can't get mouse 4 and 5 working, set up as KEY_LEFT and KEY_RIGHT with KEY_LEFTALT as a modifier. I can't get the search button to be Mouse3. Setting it to BTN_MIDDLE doesn't work, and setting it to BTN_3 gives an error. The button 4 acts as Mouse3, the button 5 acts as Mouse2. and I remember in an older version I could not only get this set up correctly, but it was set up correctly by default.

2: I like how it now supports the functionality of the scroll wheel, but is there a way to make it increase the speed you need to make it to go into free scroll mode? It does it too easily. It also keeps scrolling even if I stop the wheel.
    Try changing your xorg.conf settings like described in the manual's troubleshooting section 9.2.1 (manual version 1.0) or 10.2.1 (manual version 1.1). Link to the manual is on the first post of this thread.

For the wheel, I assume you are using the automatic mode. Then, just change the up and down scroll speeds higher (default is 5, maybe 15 is better). These don't make your scroll speeds different, they control how fast you have to scroll the wheel to change modes.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Page 45 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast