Page 51 of 128 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

btnx-config v.0.2.2 has been released. It fixes the revoco value bug (starting btnx-config cleared revoco values back to defaults).
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've installed btnx 3.2 with 2.2 (although the config indicates version 2.1 in the about section of the config).

I want to thank you for your time.

My btnx will not function until I open up btnx and restart it using the command line or the GUI. I have read many pages and I can't find an answer..any help?

Thank you again.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by heatpumpcontrol View Post
    I've installed btnx 3.2 with 2.2 (although the config indicates version 2.1 in the about section of the config).

I want to thank you for your time.

My btnx will not function until I open up btnx and restart it using the command line or the GUI. I have read many pages and I can't find an answer..any help?

Thank you again.
    Some other people have been having this problem as well. I'll try looking in to it.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Looks like btnx made it into the archlinux repositories!
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Smile Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Terve Olli!
    I just wanna say thank you for this nice program. It works like a charm . The only issue was, that the btnx start script was only in /etc/init.d/ and there was no symbolic link in /etc/rc5.d/ . So it wasn't loaded on startup. But this is easy to fix.
    Have you plans, to write a comparable program for lirc devices (or extend btnx for lirc devices)?
    Cheers, Martin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rainman110 View Post
    Terve Olli!
    I just wanna say thank you for this nice program. It works like a charm . The only issue was, that the btnx start script was only in /etc/init.d/ and there was no symbolic link in /etc/rc5.d/ . So it wasn't loaded on startup. But this is easy to fix.
    Have you plans, to write a comparable program for lirc devices (or extend btnx for lirc devices)?
    Cheers, Martin
    Morjens !

If you are using btnx >= 0.3.0, the start up is done by udev. This allows hotplugging as well. Apparently some people have a problem with it. It starts fine for me, though. The old btnx used script files in the rcX.d folders.

I was actually thinking of building my own lirc device a while back. But as long as a lirc device registers a /dev/input/eventX (or /dev/eventX) event handler for itself, its possible to make it work with btnx. I was thinking of extending btnx to work with any input device, including keyboards with extra buttons that don't work. My Logitech keyboard is a good example. Some extra buttons actually send mouse button events.

It needs some work in btnx and a lot more work in btnx-config. When I have time, I'll implement it.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Smile Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

That sounds really good! On my system (ubuntu 7.10), the newest releasy of btnx is not started with udev, but i have seen the udev-rule. There might be a problem with the rule, I'll have a look for it.
    Lirc events are generated in e.g. /dev/lirc0, but if you have started the lirc daemon lircd, lircd sends the name of the pressed button over a socket. That makes implementation much easier i think. But correct me if I am wrong
    Heippä!

Got it: The problem was, that my mouse was connected via ps2 connector. After pluggin it to usb and reconfigure btnx, the udev rule worked, and btnx was loaded. Again, thank you for this great piece of software
    BTW: my lirc device is self made. it is very easy to build ( i think 1 resistor, 1 diode, 1 voltage-gain, 1 ir-diode and 1 capicitor). Unfortunately, it is serial device, Would be cool to build a usb version, but i think this would be more complicated.
    Last edited by rainman110; November 2nd, 2007 at 12:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I did some testing and it seems there is a problem with the initialization of btnx.

udev apparently fires up before the local filesystem is mounted. This creates a problem for btnx. It exits with an error when started by udev at this stage of the boot process. Ubuntu apparently gives it a few more tries. In some cases, it tries enough for btnx to launch. Sometimes it might not. On Mandriva, it seems that it might even lock the boot process because the init script gives returns an error.

I have to do more testing to figure out a solution.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rainman110 View Post
    That sounds really good! On my system (ubuntu 7.10), the newest releasy of btnx is not started with udev, but i have seen the udev-rule. There might be a problem with the rule, I'll have a look for it.
    Lirc events are generated in e.g. /dev/lirc0, but if you have started the lirc daemon lircd, lircd sends the name of the pressed button over a socket. That makes implementation much easier i think. But correct me if I am wrong
    Heippä!

Got it: The problem was, that my mouse was connected via ps2 connector. After pluggin it to usb and reconfigure btnx, the udev rule worked, and btnx was loaded. Again, thank you for this great piece of software
    BTW: my lirc device is self made. it is very easy to build ( i think 1 resistor, 1 diode, 1 voltage-gain, 1 ir-diode and 1 capicitor). Unfortunately, it is serial device, Would be cool to build a usb version, but i think this would be more complicated.
    I started a little hobby-project this summer. Kind of a like a Minority Report glove which I thought of combining with btnx. It has 3-axis accelerometers on three fingers, connected to a main board on top of the hand with Flex-PCB. The main board consists of a microcontroller, a USB-controller, and a little bit of other misc electronics. It shouldn't be too difficult to make the lirc a USB device with one of these USB-controller chips (National Semiconductor USBN9604).
    My project has kind of stalled, however. The schematics and PCB-layout is pretty much ready, and I have all the necessary components. I just need to manufacture the PCBs somewhere (thinking Olimex, they have good prices) and find a way to solder the accelerometers (LGA-16). I had to take LGA case accelerometers because of size constraints on the finger boards and availability of other cases. And then there's the microcontroller coding... I expect the algorithms to be quite challenging.
    Last edited by daou; November 2nd, 2007 at 01:34 PM.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    The key drop-down-auto-completion-entry-box is a little buggy. I'm not too happy with it myself. It's a bit of a hack. However, it is better than the old plain drop-down box because there are hundreds of values.

What does everyone think: would it be better that the key value entry was a simple button that opens a new dialog? This dialog would have a list of the keys and an auto-completion-entry at the top, and an OK button to confirm the selection. Would it make the interface better?
    Optimum would be an automatic detection window/field, of course.

Page 51 of 128 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast