Page 90 of 128 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

I'm trying to get it to work for my MX1000 in Hardy. I can assign the horizontal scroll buttons to a keyboard combination. But when I reboot the key combinations don't work anymore. Restart the btnx daemon doesn't help. When I reconfigure the settings in btnx, everything works again.

I thought I might try assigning my MX1000 to constant input handler '/dev/input/event*' but that's not helping either. The event handler is made on reboot, but when I check '/proc/bus/input/devices' I see that my MX1000 is still using a random event input handler.

How can I make btnx work after a reboot?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiftof View Post
    I'm trying to get it to work for my MX1000 in Hardy. I can assign the horizontal scroll buttons to a keyboard combination. But when I reboot the key combinations don't work anymore. Restart the btnx daemon doesn't help. When I reconfigure the settings in btnx, everything works again.

I thought I might try assigning my MX1000 to constant input handler '/dev/input/event*' but that's not helping either. The event handler is made on reboot, but when I check '/proc/bus/input/devices' I see that my MX1000 is still using a random event input handler.

How can I make btnx work after a reboot?

Thanks!
    It doesn't matter if the event# changes between reboots. What matters is if the button codes or Vendor/Product IDs change between reboots.

Sounds exactly like the problem tim71 has been having with his MX1000. I believe this is an issue with the mouse itself. He made a few configuration files, 3 I think, one of which worked after a reboot. But then btnx needs to be manually started with the correct configuration after each reboot.

There might be a workaround using the new feature I coded today for btnx (in SVN repository trunk). You can make multiple configurations (make one each time you reboot and a previous config file does not work). Then, when btnx starts during boot, it loops through all the configuration files until it finds one for the plugged in mouse.

However, this will not work if the Vendor and Product IDs do not change between reboots (and button codes change- you can check this by looking at the RC value of the button, visible in the button list of btnx-config).
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

I just noticed I was still using 0.4.6. So I installed 0.4.8 and problem solved allready. Don't know why, but now my config works after reboot (rebooted 3 times to make sure).

Sorry to waste your time and keep up the good work! Amazing utility and you give a lot of support in this thread.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

daou, well, actually I am still watching thins topic in the hope you'll comment on the glib/gtk dependency and most importantly on my MS Wireless Presenter 8000. What are my next steps to find how does those Prev/Next buttons generate events out? Or is it completely hopeless (for what reason)?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ZYV View Post
    daou, well, actually I am still watching thins topic in the hope you'll comment on the glib/gtk dependency and most importantly on my MS Wireless Presenter 8000. What are my next steps to find how does those Prev/Next buttons generate events out? Or is it completely hopeless (for what reason)?
    The gtk/glib requirement is the same one I have developed with, so the requirement is probably not borderline. I do remember that some problems arise from Ubuntu Dapper's version of gtk (not sure if Edgy's gtk was fresh enough).

Looking at the diff, you would want gtk v.2.10.4 and glib v.2.12.3. If they work correctly, I can relax the configure.ac requirements to these. I already made the commit, so you can get the relaxed requirements from btnx-config SVN trunk: http://svn.ollisalonen.com/btnx-config/trunk

If the event file does not output anything when you press some buttons, then there is nothing really that btnx (or Linux) can do. It's possibly some proprietary protocol for those few extra buttons. You can try hexdumping each /dev/input/event handler to make sure the buttons aren't using those. For example, the Logitech MX Revolution mouse has two input event handlers.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Much thanks for this little gem. First time I seem to have all buttons working in linux with mx 1000(using linux since Suse 8 ).

Excuse my ignorance in terms of path and permissions but trying to add amarok as a command results in alot of errors that appear to be the result of amarok trying to access roots home not my own. I have it set in btnx-config to run with my own userid. Can somebody throw me a bone here.

oh and clicking thanks button for the author ....now

using gutsy
    Last edited by dasbooter; April 3rd, 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dasbooter View Post
    Much thanks for this little gem. First time I seem to have all buttons working in linux with mx 1000(using linux since Suse 8 ).

Excuse my ignorance in terms of path and permissions but trying to add amarok as a command results in alot of errors that appear to be the result of amarok trying to access roots home not my own. I have it set in btnx-config to run with my own userid. Can somebody throw me a bone here.

oh and clicking thanks button for the author ....now

using gutsy
    You can try using "su" as I described in this launchpad bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/btnx-config/+bug/198339
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Daou,
    Thanks for your replies.
    As far as utilizing the UID over the user name, I really have no preference. If I remember correctly, I was just meaning that they shouldn't be run as root, but instead be tied to the user. I do, however, want to avoid excessive pop-up dialogs for passwords, etc....
    I would like to see passwords stored on a user-level account within their configurations to avoid this, but we'd be better served by making configurations unable to store a root password, thereby popping up a password dialog.

As far as things you might have missed from the thread, the only one I can recall was a few different users were having trouble with their revoco settings getting screwed up during hibernation, etc. The most likely reason, from my point of view, is that you chose to make revoco settings temporary, rather than making each change permanent.

Thanks,
    blazoner
    When the only peace your enemy understands is the "Peace of the dead," you have no choice but to make peace in those terms.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    It doesn't matter if the event# changes between reboots. What matters is if the button codes or Vendor/Product IDs change between reboots.

Sounds exactly like the problem tim71 has been having with his MX1000. I believe this is an issue with the mouse itself. He made a few configuration files, 3 I think, one of which worked after a reboot. But then btnx needs to be manually started with the correct configuration after each reboot.

There might be a workaround using the new feature I coded today for btnx (in SVN repository trunk). You can make multiple configurations (make one each time you reboot and a previous config file does not work). Then, when btnx starts during boot, it loops through all the configuration files until it finds one for the plugged in mouse.

However, this will not work if the Vendor and Product IDs do not change between reboots (and button codes change- you can check this by looking at the RC value of the button, visible in the button list of btnx-config).
    Seems like the problem is back now: my MX1000 settings don't work anymore after a reboot. Maybe in my previous reboots I was just lucky that it kept working or it has something to do with the upgrades I installed for hardy this morning.

And I checked what the problem is: ProductID and VendorID don't change but the rawcode for the buttons is wat changes on reboot. Any solution for that?

thanks

EDIT: seems like the rawcode just changed after the upgrade. I changed my config for btnx and works again now
    Last edited by Tiftof; April 4th, 2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: solved I think

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Tiftof View Post
    Seems like the problem is back now: my MX1000 settings don't work anymore after a reboot. Maybe in my previous reboots I was just lucky that it kept working or it has something to do with the upgrades I installed for hardy this morning.

And I checked what the problem is: ProductID and VendorID don't change but the rawcode for the buttons is wat changes on reboot. Any solution for that?

thanks

EDIT: seems like the rawcode just changed after the upgrade. I changed my config for btnx and works again now
    If the problem reappears, try this:
    Do not remove the configuration, delete buttons, or make a new configuration. Use the same configuration, but press the "Detect mouse and buttons" button again. It will take you directly to the button detection. Then redetect the buttons, naming them for example Left1, Right1, etc (if existing ones are called Left, Right, etc). Assign the same functionality to them as you used for the previously working buttons.

Now when you start btnx, it will try to use all those buttons in the configuration file, but only a subset of them will be working at a time. Hopefully this helps.

Note: some buttons probably won't change their rawcodes (like the left, right, and wheel). btnx-config will tell you the button has been detected, but that's no problem.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Page 90 of 128 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast