Page 82 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Sorry it's been a bit quiet from my direction lately. I will try to reply to the posts here after about a week when I have more time.

It seems btnx and mouse button control is quite a popular idea at brainstorm. It has certainly got Ubuntu staff's attention. Hopefully they will integrate btnx or at least develop something so Ubuntu users will finally have easy control of their mouse buttons. If you feel that this is an important issue, don't forget to vote:

echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

I installed Hardy Alpha 5, and found the problem with the button detection. The kernel input interface has changed. However, this isn't a problem. I am working on a fix. The btnx-config and btnx will need changes and backup configuration files will not work in the new version.

I'll post more info once I have something working in the SVN repo.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    I installed Hardy Alpha 5, and found the problem with the button detection. The kernel input interface has changed. However, this isn't a problem. I am working on a fix. The btnx-config and btnx will need changes and backup configuration files will not work in the new version.

I'll post more info once I have something working in the SVN repo.
    Thanks, thats good to hear. it's been killing me not having btnx working with hardy.

Beans
    Distro

SVN has new btnx and btnx-config in trunk.

Please test them extensively. And if someone is able to test it with a 64-bit OS, I would be very interested to hear if it worked or not. Some bit-sensitive things needed changes.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Dao, you mentioned previously that you might be rewriting btnx in C++. Any progress with this?

Also, how hard would it be to integrate btnx-config into a tab in Mouse Preferences? I was thinking about a basic interface similar to the one in this mock-up, with an advanced mode check box to pull up the full interface.

This would allow a lot of people to find btnx and btnx-config who wouldn't have even known about them otherwise.
    Also, for previously detected buttons, how about auto-highlighting the detected button in the list?
    I know that some of this would necessitate some radical changes, but total adoption of btnx and btnx-config won't be accomplished until people can find and use them intuitively.
    BTW, thanks again for all your vision and hard work!
    When the only peace your enemy understands is the "Peace of the dead," you have no choice but to make peace in those terms.

Beans

Also, can something be done to allow btnx and btnx-config to interact with the Bluetooth stack, so that people can configure Bluetooth mice the same way?
    I know that that's way outside of the project's scope at the moment, but consistency across multiple varieties of hardware is important for a truly intuitive user experience.

I think it's time to move btnx and btnx-config from a fix to a feature.
    When the only peace your enemy understands is the "Peace of the dead," you have no choice but to make peace in those terms.

Beans

This is great news on btnx with hardy!!! I can't wait to compile the new version but I don't really know how to use SVN. I recall using CVS in the past, but SVN is different. Could someone please post the commands to pull down the latest trunk?

THANKS!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    If you find this tool useful, please help others use it by translating it into another language: btnx-config @ Launchpad.
    this worked for me!
    thanks

ran into a spot of bother when i forgot to save the Default one
    so it errored when trying to run the GUI
    luckly i had had made a new config already
    so copied and renamed it
    btnx_config_Default

bob's yer uncle
    Linux x86 amd64 Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) NVidia
    Problems:
    1.Logitech G15v1 keyb - (not yet setup properly yet)

Beans

So I figured out how to use SVN to retrieve the latest trunk of btnx. Both programs compiled and installed without incident. So far, so good. The next step was to recognize all of my mouse buttons and btnx-config found them all! This is a major improvement over the released build.

I have a Logitech MediaPlay mouse that has volume up/down, song forward/back, pause/play, and browser forward/back buttons. I was able to get the browser forward and back buttons set without any problem and now I can browse with them in FF. The problem is with the rest of the buttons. The volume up and down buttons work but they only have three levels: mute, 45%, and 90%. I have them mapped to KEY_VOLUMEUP and KEY_VOLUMEDOWN, respectively. I have played with the delay rate to no avail. Under Gutsy I had a bit more granularity in my volume, but not as much as in Windows. Force immediate release doesn't do much either. Any suggestions?

I have the media button programmed to launch "/usr/bin/banshee" as UID1002. Banshee launches with a Dbus error. I changed the command line to "dbus-launch /usr/bin/banshee" but Banshee never started. Are you fully exporting the environment when running these commands? This may be the problem.

The Next Song and Previous Song buttons do not work at all.

This is my configuration file:
    # This is a btnx configuration file generated by btnx-config

Mouse
    vendor_name = Logitech
    product_name = MediaPlay
    vendor_id = 0x046d
    product_id = 0xc50e
    revoco_mode = 0
    revoco_btn = 3
    revoco_up_scroll = 5
    revoco_down_scroll = 5
    EndMouse

Button
    name = Left Button
    rawcode = 0x01000110
    enabled = 0
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = BTN_LEFT
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Middle Button
    rawcode = 0x01000112
    enabled = 0
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = BTN_MIDDLE
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Right Button
    rawcode = 0x01000111
    enabled = 0
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = BTN_RIGHT
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Scroll Up
    rawcode = 0x02010008
    enabled = 0
    type = 1
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = NONE
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Scroll Down
    rawcode = 0x02ff0008
    enabled = 0
    type = 1
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = NONE
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Forward
    rawcode = 0x01000114
    enabled = 1
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = KEY_BACKSPACE
    mod1 = KEY_LEFTSHIFT
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Back
    rawcode = 0x01000113
    enabled = 1
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = KEY_BACKSPACE
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Media
    rawcode = 0x01000115
    enabled = 1
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    command = /usr/bin/banshee --hide
    uid = 1002
    EndButton

Button
    name = Play/Pause
    rawcode = 0x0100011c
    enabled = 1
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = KEY_PLAYPAUSE
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Skip Forward
    rawcode = 0x0100011a
    enabled = 1
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = KEY_NEXTSONG
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Skip Backward
    rawcode = 0x0100011b
    enabled = 1
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 0
    keycode = KEY_PREVIOUSSONG
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Volume Up
    rawcode = 0x01000118
    enabled = 1
    type = 0
    delay = 100
    force_release = 1
    keycode = KEY_VOLUMEUP
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton

Button
    name = Volume Down
    rawcode = 0x01000119
    enabled = 1
    type = 0
    delay = 0
    force_release = 1
    keycode = KEY_VOLUMEDOWN
    mod1 = NONE
    mod2 = NONE
    mod3 = NONE
    EndButton
    You are making headway on Hardy. I can use a few featues of the mouse, but it will not remotely control the media players on the machine like it did so easily with Gutsy. Let me know when I should try a new trunk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    So I figured out how to use SVN to retrieve the latest trunk of btnx. Both programs compiled and installed without incident. So far, so good. The next step was to recognize all of my mouse buttons and btnx-config found them all! This is a major improvement over the released build.

I have a Logitech MediaPlay mouse that has volume up/down, song forward/back, pause/play, and browser forward/back buttons. I was able to get the browser forward and back buttons set without any problem and now I can browse with them in FF. The problem is with the rest of the buttons. The volume up and down buttons work but they only have three levels: mute, 45%, and 90%. I have them mapped to KEY_VOLUMEUP and KEY_VOLUMEDOWN, respectively. I have played with the delay rate to no avail. Under Gutsy I had a bit more granularity in my volume, but not as much as in Windows. Force immediate release doesn't do much either. Any suggestions?

I have the media button programmed to launch "/usr/bin/banshee" as UID1002. Banshee launches with a Dbus error. I changed the command line to "dbus-launch /usr/bin/banshee" but Banshee never started. Are you fully exporting the environment when running these commands? This may be the problem.

The Next Song and Previous Song buttons do not work at all.

This is my configuration file:

You are making headway on Hardy. I can use a few featues of the mouse, but it will not remotely control the media players on the machine like it did so easily with Gutsy. Let me know when I should try a new trunk.
    Could you explain how you did the svn install? I have been doing some reading on it, but still haven't figured it out.

Page 82 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast