Page 77 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Gigamo View Post
    First of all, another thank you for this great program. I have a very MINOR issue however:

Everytime after I reboot, I have to restart btnx (I just go sudo btnx-config -> Restart btnx button) just once to get all my MX Revolution functions back (revoco in particular). Don't know if this is a bug or not, just a minor issue that I don't really mind.
    Do you have the "enable hotplugging" checkbox checked in the Advanced tab? Are you only referring to the revoco functions or all the keycombos you have defined as well?

EDIT: if you aren't on a laptop (the mouse is always plugged in) you can also try disabling the hotplugging if it's enabled. The init script installed by btnx should already launch btnx during boot.
    Last edited by daou; January 28th, 2008 at 01:40 PM.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

I see btnx launching when I'm booting, that's not an issue. Everything works except revoco's automatic scroll wheel changing, and the command launching from a button. Enable hotplugging is checked, and even though I'm on a laptop, the mouse is almost always plugged in.
    [Configuration files]
    Linux IS user-friendly, it's just picky about its friends.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gigamo View Post
    I see btnx launching when I'm booting, that's not an issue. Everything works except revoco's automatic scroll wheel changing, and the command launching from a button. Enable hotplugging is checked, and even though I'm on a laptop, the mouse is almost always plugged in.
    It's strange that some parts work and others don't. However, the revoco issue might be solved by making the mode permanent (I chose to use temporary revoco changes in btnx). I will probably change this in a later version.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    Do you have the "enable hotplugging" checkbox checked in the Advanced tab? Are you only referring to the revoco functions or all the keycombos you have defined as well?

EDIT: if you aren't on a laptop (the mouse is always plugged in) you can also try disabling the hotplugging if it's enabled. The init script installed by btnx should already launch btnx during boot.
    I have a similar issue and maybe I am mistaken in how to configure btnx for my situation.

I'm on a laptop and have 3 different "mice". 1 is the UltraNav builtin into the laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad), the 2nd is a MX500 which I use at my desk with a docking station, the 3rd is a little VX Revolution that's in my bag for on the road.

Right now if I switch locations (usually powering down between curse you ATI) and start up with or without one of the logitech mice plugged in I have to open up btnx, choose the correct config file and then restart btnx.

I had envisioned it automatically choosing the correct config file from the vendor id and product id detected (which is different). Am I mistaken in how this should work or have I just been dumb and configured it wrong?

Also second question, how should my xorg.conf look like with the UltraNav also configured? Here is what I have so far and it "seems" to work.

Code:
    <....snip...>
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier      "TrackPoint"
    	Driver          "mouse"
    	Option          "CorePointer"
    	Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
    	Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
    	Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "on"
    	Option          "Emulate3TimeOut"       "50"
    	Option          "EmulateWheel"          "on"
    	Option          "EmulateWheelTimeOut"   "200"
    	Option          "EmulateWheelButton"    "2"
    	Option          "YAxisMapping"          "4 5"
    	Option          "XAxisMapping"          "6 7"
    	Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"UsbMouse"
            Driver          "evdev"
            Option          "evBits" "+1-2"
            Option          "keyBits" "~272-287"
            Option          "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
            #Option         "Buttons" "10"
            #Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Default Layout"
    	Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    	InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
    	InputDevice    "TrackPoint"
    EndSection

Beans

If you look at the code for revoco, you'll notice it is sending raw data over USB to the MX Revolution. All the options to revoco just change what data it sends to the MX Revo to set its wheel in a different state. These states are all predetermined by the MX hardware. The problem is, the MX Revolution doesn't have a hardware option for manual free->auto functionality. It does have an option for a manual free->click though, and this is what revoco is telling the mouse to do.
    This is frustrating, since I'm using "Emulate3button" "yes" to allow me to activate cube rotation in Compiz. It automatically sends a button 3 event when clicking L+R mouse buttons. As it stands now, I disable wheel-click in btnx, and still get full functionality from the WM (Matacity) when clicking L+R. When I attempt to map the wheel-click with btnx, pressing L+R triggers the identical btnx-mapped action as the wheel-click, not the action I mapped to cube rotation. Additionally, I don't want to trigger a switch between scroll modes when rotating the cube.

Working this explanation out in writing, I guess most of this could be taken care of in a script that would only change scroll modes when clicked over a window, although I wouldn't know where to start. However, it still doesn't allow for keeping the wheel-click exclusively for scrolling modes, while still allowing for L+R to do their thing separately.
    Any additional feedback is welcome.
    When the only peace your enemy understands is the "Peace of the dead," you have no choice but to make peace in those terms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Code:
    If you find this tool useful, please help others use it by translating it into another language: btnx-config @ Launchpad. Latest versions:btnx (Button Extension) is a daemon that enables rerouting of mouse button events through uinput as keyboard and other mouse button combinations. For example, you can configure an extra mouse button to send a Ctrl+Alt+Right command to switch workspaces. You can also configure buttons to execute commands. This is especially useful for mice with more buttons than Gnome or KDE can properly handle, or mice that need evdev and a 100 step howto to register button events at all. btnx-config is GUI for detecting and configuring your mouse. You must use btnx-config with btnx. btnx integrates revoco functionality for MX Revolution users, which is editable from btnx-config. btnx should work with almost any mouse that is configured properly. The btnx manual is available at: http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/man btnx is known to work on:
    • (K)Ubuntu 7.04-i386 (32-bit).
    • (K)Ubuntu 7.04-amd64 (64-bit)
    • (K)Ubuntu 7.10 (see note below)
    Note: Gutsy (7.10) users with an MX or VX Revolution: if you have problems with the thumb buttons, refer to the btnx manual's troubleshooting section 12.2.1 for better xorg.conf values. When will btnx be available in the Ubuntu repositories? I don't know. However, it has been nominated for inclusion into Hardy. If you want to make sure btnx makes it there, you can show your support at the Launchpad bug report. Report bugs at Launchpad: SVN repositories : ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Installation: Note: Ubuntu 7.04 users can download and install with .debs. Get them from http://www.ollisalonen/btnx (Kubuntu users should compile from source). Note: If you are upgrading your btnx from pre v.0.3.0 or btnx-config from pre v.0.2.0, you must uninstall them first. Note: If you have used another howto to configure your mouse, try to revert as much of the changes you have done. 1. Get all the necessary dependencies. btnx-config needs libgtk2.0 and libgtk2.0-dev (version 2.10.11 or newer), libglade and libglade-dev (version 2.6.0 or newer), pkg-config (0.21 or newer), and build-essential. btnx needs build-essential.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-0 libglade2-dev pkg-config
    2. Install btnx
    Code:
    $ wget http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/btnx-0.4.5.tar.gz
    $ tar -xvvf btnx-0.4.5.tar.gz
    $ cd btnx-0.4.5
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    3. Install btnx-config.
    Code:
    $ wget http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/btnx-config-0.4.5.tar.gz
    $ tar -xvvf btnx-config-0.4.5.tar.gz
    $ cd btnx-config-0.4.5
    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    If you encountered an error, there is probably a dependency problem. You can also call "./configure builddocs=no" if there was a documentation build problem, or if you don't want to install the manual. 4. You should have gotten a menu item. In GNOME, Applications->System tools->btnx. In KDE, System->btnx. Press it to launch btnx-config. You can find all the necessary information for configuring your mouse with btnx-config in the btnx manual. Either press the "Help" button in btnx-config or refer to the online manual at http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/man -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Uninstall To uninstall btnx and btnx-config, just run
    Code:
    $ sudo make uninstall
    in the same directory as where you ran the "sudo make install" command for both programs. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Troubleshooting Please refer to the troubleshooting section in the btnx manual: http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/man It contains answers to frequent problems and good reference values for your xorg.conf file. NOTE: If some of your mouse buttons send multiple events (like extra middle, right, or left clicks) then refer to the manual's troubleshooting section on editing you xorg.conf InputSection. Follow it closely! If your problem persists, post it on this thread. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Useful key combos blazoner posted a list of some useful keyboard combinations to use with btnx. Look here. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Old btnx The old btnx (v.0.2.14) is still available for those that want to use it. http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/old.html
    I have btnx running in Gutsy with a Revolution mouse and it works great. I have install of Hardy at the latest alpha with all upgrades (dual boot on the same computer). I installed btnx from source per this tutorial in the Hardy install. It installed fine and runs, but after it detects the mouse and finds the two handlers, it will not detect any of the buttons. When I try, it gets to the part where you fill the bar by pressing a button, but nothing happens with any of the buttons. I modified the xorg configuration file to look just like the one in the gutsy install, but that made no difference. Any idea where I can go from here?
    Last edited by dondad; February 9th, 2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: put quote in code box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I bought a Logitech VX Nano and am trying to get it to work. But it would appear that the program is running but NOT working. I have followed the configuration guide but nothing changes on the mouse. I am trying to make the forward and backward buttons to work. But when I click on the forward button it just acts like a right click, and when I click on the backwards button nothing happens. My current xorg.conf looks like:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"mouse"
    	Option		"CorePointer"
    	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
    	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
    	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
    	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
    EndSection
    I tried to change it to:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol"        "auto"
        Option         "Device"          "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
        Option         "Buttons"	     "3"
    EndSection
    But when I rebooted it it just crashed my system. So I had to restore my original xorg.conf.

Any thoughts of how I can fix this problem?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dondad View Post
    I have btnx running in Gutsy with a Revolution mouse and it works great. I have install of Hardy at the latest alpha with all upgrades (dual boot on the same computer). I installed btnx from source per this tutorial in the Hardy install. It installed fine and runs, but after it detects the mouse and finds the two handlers, it will not detect any of the buttons. When I try, it gets to the part where you fill the bar by pressing a button, but nothing happens with any of the buttons. I modified the xorg configuration file to look just like the one in the gutsy install, but that made no difference. Any idea where I can go from here?
    i have btnx installed in ubuntu hardy alpha 4 and works fine (i firstly had to "force immidiately release" and set "repeat delay" to 200 )
    my mouse's brand is Sweex , model name MI560 , more info here :
    i have used btnx's subversion 0.4.6 , not the stable

btnx is a great tool and this how to is absolutely great
    "Computers are like air conditioners, when you open WINDOW$ they stop working."
    Όσο ζώ μαθαίνω ...
    If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won.
    Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gourgi View Post
    i have btnx installed in ubuntu hardy alpha 4 and works fine (i firstly had to "force immidiately release" and set "repeat delay" to 200 )
    my mouse's brand is Sweex , model name MI560 , more info here :
    i have used btnx's subversion 0.4.6 , not the stable

btnx is a great tool and this how to is absolutely great
    I only see 0.4.6 in btnx-config. I installed it exactly as shown in the quoted tutorial. The problem I have is getting the buttons detected in the first place. It detects the mouse, with 2 handlers, the same as it did in Gutsy, but when I try to detect the buttons, nothing happens. The program does not crash or anything and I can exit it normally, but the bar never fills after clicking the detect button menu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bismark View Post
    I have a similar issue and maybe I am mistaken in how to configure btnx for my situation.

I'm on a laptop and have 3 different "mice". 1 is the UltraNav builtin into the laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad), the 2nd is a MX500 which I use at my desk with a docking station, the 3rd is a little VX Revolution that's in my bag for on the road.

Right now if I switch locations (usually powering down between curse you ATI) and start up with or without one of the logitech mice plugged in I have to open up btnx, choose the correct config file and then restart btnx.

I had envisioned it automatically choosing the correct config file from the vendor id and product id detected (which is different). Am I mistaken in how this should work or have I just been dumb and configured it wrong?

Also second question, how should my xorg.conf look like with the UltraNav also configured? Here is what I have so far and it "seems" to work.

Code:
    <....snip...>
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "TrackPoint"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "on"
        Option          "Emulate3TimeOut"       "50"
        Option          "EmulateWheel"          "on"
        Option          "EmulateWheelTimeOut"   "200"
        Option          "EmulateWheelButton"    "2"
        Option          "YAxisMapping"          "4 5"
        Option          "XAxisMapping"          "6 7"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier    "UsbMouse"
            Driver          "evdev"
            Option          "evBits" "+1-2"
            Option          "keyBits" "~272-287"
            Option          "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
            #Option         "Buttons" "10"
            #Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice    "TrackPoint"
    EndSection
    If you do not explicitly specify a config to start btnx with, it will choose the one with the highest priority. It does not do autodetection. However, for your case there might be a workaround.

You can edit the do_start() function in the btnx init script (located at /etc/init.d/btnx). Make it look something like this:

Code:
    start_daemon $DAEMON -b -c config_name1
            RET=$?
            if [ $RET -eq 2 ]; then
                    log_failure_msg "start_daemon failed to start btnx with full pat
    h. Trying without"
                    start_daemon $DAEMON -b -c config_name2
                    RET=$?
            fi
            return $RET
    Replace config_name1 and config_name2 with the names of two configurations as seen in btnx-config. One contains the settings for one mouse, the other contains settings for the other mouse.

Now when btnx loads at boot, it first tries to start with the first configuration. If the mouse is not connected, btnx will fail to start. It then tries the second configuration, which should work if the other mouse is connected.
    Last edited by daou; February 9th, 2008 at 11:17 AM.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Page 77 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast