Page 74 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

What a great program! I love it, works great, and makes my MX Revolution a joy to use.

Is there any way to make a button equal to JUST a modifier key?

As in, "As long as I hold down button X, it acts like the ALT key is being held down?"

I use alt+left-hold to move my windows around all the time, and I'd love to be able to do this without having to hold down ALT on the keyboard. Thanks!

Beans

Why not map the button to Alt+Left Click and save yourself the trouble of holding down two keys at once?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holotone View Post
    Why not map the button to Alt+Left Click and save yourself the trouble of holding down two keys at once?
    Opps. Doh! Thanks, that works great!

---

Now I'm trying to get Scale in compiz to work correctly. How do you all set that up?
    Last edited by ffffff; January 22nd, 2008 at 09:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I simple question
    I've got Vx nano - it works fine, except pressing "Up" key.
    By default this key seems to work as right-mouse-button - it simply opens right-click menu.
    When i bind a different action - new action works with right-click menu simultaneously.
    Can I get rid of default action?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by neptunix View Post
    I simple question
    I've got Vx nano - it works fine, except pressing "Up" key.
    By default this key seems to work as right-mouse-button - it simply opens right-click menu.
    When i bind a different action - new action works with right-click menu simultaneously.
    Can I get rid of default action?
    Thanks
    Check the btnx manual's troubleshooting section 12.2.1 for better xorg.conf InputDevice section values. If you are unsure, post your InputDevice section here and I'll point out what needs to be changed.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    Now it finally starts to look like I have found out what is going on with this occasional "some-mouse-buttons-not-working-after-restart" issue.

If I open bntx-config after finding out, that some buttons do not work, and try to detect mouse buttons again ,then it looks like these "lost" buttons are being detected as new ones because the event codes are suddenly changed after the restart. Interesting thing is, that it does not concern ALL buttons.

For "workaround" I have made up different configuration file every time this happened and previous configuration isn't working - then I can select between existing configurations to see, if any of them will work. It remains to be seen, how many different configurations will be made after some time

It is a strange problem, because it has not occured before (yes - I have checked mouse configuration in xorg.conf and it has not been changed in any way since the time before the problem surfaced), but at least I can live with it with this "workaround".
    Do you suspect this has something to do with the deb packages?
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ffffff View Post
    What a great program! I love it, works great, and makes my MX Revolution a joy to use.

Is there any way to make a button equal to JUST a modifier key?

As in, "As long as I hold down button X, it acts like the ALT key is being held down?"

I use alt+left-hold to move my windows around all the time, and I'd love to be able to do this without having to hold down ALT on the keyboard. Thanks!
    Good to hear you find btnx useful. Although your issue was solved, it is possible to set the Keycode to a modifier key (they are also in the keycodes list).

Perhaps the next step is to implement a function button, that allows modified behavior to be sent with other buttons when it is pressed. However, this will not be done until btnx-config has been rewritten in C++ and that could take some time.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    Do you suspect this has something to do with the deb packages?
    Actually not, because btnx is installed straight from the compiled source - and I am not sure how btnx itself can affect the event codes, that are coming from mouse input. And the codes are not changing randomly, but up to now I have 3 configurations - if buttons are not working after booting the system, then just switching to one of two other configurations has solved the problem.

P.S. Not sure can this be related to hotplugging/wait_for_sysfs thing or not - at least this the first thing I thought about...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    Actually not, because btnx is installed straight from the compiled source - and I am not sure how btnx itself can affect the event codes, that are coming from mouse input. And the codes are not changing randomly, but up to now I have 3 configurations - if buttons are not working after booting the system, then just switching to one of two other configurations has solved the problem.

P.S. Not sure can this be related to hotplugging/wait_for_sysfs thing or not - at least this the first thing I thought about...
    Sounds like a great anti-btnx hack .

btnx doesn't affect the event codes, it can only read from the event handler that sends the events. First we should establish whether the rawcodes are actually changing in the input handler or whether it is a problem with btnx's interpretation of them.

I would be interested in seeing the hexdumps from the mouse's event handler when a single button is being pressed (one that changes between boots). hexdumps before a change, then hexdumps after a change. You can hexdump by issuing the command
    Code:
    sudo hexdump /dev/input/eventX
    where X is the event handler number for the mouse.

Are you using any other software that could change the mouse behavior? Could you post your xorg.conf InputDevice section so I can make sure it's not a problem there. Could be a problem if your Driver or Device changes between boots (autodetection?).
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    Check the btnx manual's troubleshooting section 12.2.1 for better xorg.conf InputDevice section values. If you are unsure, post your InputDevice section here and I'll point out what needs to be changed.
    Thanks. Works fine now!

Page 74 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast