Page 7 of 128 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Yeah, you nailed it. I only changed the Protocol to "auto", now it works like it should.
    Thank you!
    No problem. I'll add this to the howto when I release 0.2.6 (about 30 mins ).

Daou, this is an absolutely fantastic program that should be included with Ubuntu. It's straightforward and easy to do, and makes my MXrev fully functional. You even got the side scroller to change views in Beryl. Before I only had mouse 1 and 2 working. Ubuntu devs: I hope you're reading this.

I was going to do it the long way from the old MX rev thread, but that type of thing usually gives me slews of errors, so I decided to wait on this when I saw your post announcing it. (Every console command i make in Linux has a ~20% of giving me an error, so something with a bunch of confusing commands was definitely going to mess things up) Glad I made that decision.

Setting the search button to middle click by default was a great touch; that's what I have it set to in windows. I think I had to use the uberoptions hack to make that work.
    What's funny is that I never went through the howto to get my MX Revo working on Feisty. I thought it would be almost easier just coding the program, rather than doing all the endless steps in the howto . And it almost was (at least it was more fun). The old howto did what it promised, but so does banging your head against the wall.

I'm glad you think it's Ubuntu worthy material. I certainly wouldn't mind if someone did include it.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

only thing i would add is somehow make an option to see which buttons control what, it might be a little complicated to make user friendly.

personally i changed the scroll wheel left right to changing tabes and the thumb buttons to back and forward in firefox. Default in windows atleast the thumb buttons are for forward and backward in firefox, so i am used to that, some people might agree, but either way it is alot more user friendly with the option to do that somehow without editing the config file.
    Last edited by Xenner; June 1st, 2007 at 06:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro

btnx-0.2.6 has been released. If you are upgrading, check the upgrade note in the installation instructions. Additions include:
    • Support for MX-600. Big thanks to blazoner for doing the hexdumping (on a LiveCD).
    • Ability to generate mousewheel events (keycode = REL_WHEELFORWARD or REL_WHEELBACK)
    • Some changes so btnx might work with other distros. It looks for the uinput and event handlers in a couple of different locations. New install and uninstall scripts for generic distro users (use "make install-generic" and "make uninstall-generic" as root).
    Last edited by daou; June 1st, 2007 at 06:47 PM.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

I'll give it a try and report back as soon as I get home from work. Looking forward to it.

Beans
    Distro

I'll give it a try and report back as soon as I get home from work. Looking forward to it.
    btnx automatically looks for uinput and the event handlers in the following directories:
    • /dev
    • /dev/input (this is where they are for Ubuntu)
    • /dev/misc
    If it turns out that none of those work, modprobe uinput first then use find to locate it (might need root privs):
    Code:
    $ find /dev -name *uinput*
    And then tell me where it is so I can update the list btnx searches.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    btnx-0.2.6 has been released. Additions include:
    • Support for MX-600
    • Ability to generate mousewheel events (keycode = REL_WHEELFORWARD or REL_WHEELBACK)
    • Some changes so btnx might work with other distros. It looks for the uinput and event handlers in a couple of different locations. New install and uninstall scripts for generic distro users (use "make install-generic" and "make uninstall-generic" as root).
    Will install. To install over the old vesion, can you just do the same install procedure as before, or do you need to uninstall the old one first? Will it alter the config file?

Beans
    Distro

blazoner,

If your MX-600 doesn't work because you couldn't get any output from the event files, try hexdumping all the files in the following directories:
    • /dev/input/by-id
    • /dev/input/by-path
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Will install. To install over the old vesion, can you just do the same install procedure as before, or do you need to uninstall the old one first? Will it alter the config file?
    Make a backup! The old btnx_config file always gets cleaned up after installing. You should be able to install without uninstalling.

The reason the old config file gets removed, is if you change mice and install it again, it won't copy the new default_config file as the new config. This means, autodetection fails.

Good thing you reminded me about that. Otherwise there would be a couple angry users trolling the thread .
    Last edited by daou; June 1st, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    Make a backup! The old btnx_config file always gets cleaned up after installing. You should be able to install without uninstalling.

The reason the old config file gets removed, is if you change mice and install it again, it won't copy the new default_config file as the new config. This means, autodetection fails.

Good thing you reminded me about that. Otherwise there would be a couple angry users trolling the thread .
    Gotcha.

This is a really straight-forward and useful utility; thanks for making it. Something like this really should have been included by default in Ubuntu a while ago.

Also, it's kind of weird how Logitech didn't include a default button for mouse3, which is now pretty standard in Windows and Linux OS and programs. The wheel click changes scroll types and the button below it does some useless search function. Mouse3 is a much more useful function.

Beans
    Distro

Gotcha.

This is a really straight-forward and useful utility; thanks for making it. Something like this really should have been included by default in Ubuntu a while ago.
    True. But Ubuntu is still in its infancy compared to other OS's. What's important is that we help make it better.

Also, it's kind of weird how Logitech didn't include a default button for mouse3, which is now pretty standard in Windows and Linux OS and programs. The wheel click changes scroll types and the button below it does some useless search function. Mouse3 is a much more useful function.
    Yes, I wondered about this as well. It was probably a trade-off between easy scroll-mode changes and the mouse wheel button functionality. I don't use the incremental scroll at all anymore, mostly because I haven't played games in a while. It is useful for FPS gamers, especially, because the mouse is usually flying across the table and the wheel has a tendency to turn by itself then. It's not nice when you are aiming at someone with a rifle and have it replaced by a knife all of a sudden .
    It compiles! Ship it!

Page 7 of 128 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast