Page 47 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

btnx stops working after system reboot

Hi,
    I successfully used btnx under Fiesty. After upgrade to Gutsy by bottons stops working after I reboot.
    When I reconfigure mouse in btnx-config (clean config and configure again) mouse works well.

I tried restarting, stopping service and running as background aplication, "touching" config file and nothing. Xev, and hexing dump from events shows that buttons are recognized but co configured action (for eg. button event) is triggered.

Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Quote Originally Posted by RVDowning View Post
    How did your install of Mandriva 2008 go? Which version did you install? After the installation of btnx you will notice that btnx appears in the Mandriva Control Center (menu item Configure Your Computer) under Services/Manage System Services......

It is not shown as started or to start at boot. However, as long as the 99-btnx.rules file is in /etc/udev/rules.d directory it attempts to start anyway. (and created 14 occurrences at boot this morning)

It was suggested to me that for Mandriva, perhaps btnx should be set up in a similar way to numlock, which is a service that can be started, stopped, or made to start on boot. The operative file is /etc/rc.d/init.d/numlock. It also appears as a system service in Mandriva Control Center.

Regards,

Rich
    Installed Mandriva, and I must say I am impressed. Very nice work. However, I was unable to detect my mouse, except for the search button. I didn't have time to start troubleshooting it. I'll give it another look in a week or so when I have time again.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by malk_dvorak View Post
    i need some help here. ive got mx revolution running gutsy 64 bit

my xorg.conf looks as suggested
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol"        "auto"
        Option         "Device"          "/dev/mice"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
        Option         "Buttons"         "3"
    EndSection
    as for Xmodmap ive tried practically every mathemathically possible solution, it makes no difference

actually everything works except the back button pastes a 'D' if my mouse is over a terminal, forward button pastes a 'C' and the search button, which i use as middle button pastes whatever is on the clipboard when mouse is over a terminal, and occasionally whatever window i click starts gliding over the screen, pressing the backbutton and its back to normal

plase help, and if theres anything else u need to know let me know
    Try changing your InputDevice Device to "/dev/psaux".

In Linux, the middle button actually pastes highlighted text from any window when you press it over any text input (text boxes, terminal), so it is working like it's supposed to.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mollison View Post
    I have a Logitech VX Nano. I'm trying to get one of the extra buttons working (the "up" button to the left of the left click), and I can get it to do what I want (advance through tabs in Firefox), but it ALSO behaves as a right-click. So it pops up the right-click menu every time I click on it. How can I get rid of that?
    Try this:

Try changing your xorg.conf settings like described in the manual's troubleshooting section 9.2.1 (manual version 1.0) or 10.2.1 (manual version 1.1). Link to the manual is on the first post of this thread.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave View Post
    Does anyone remember the old Xorg file setup for the MX Revolution? I remember the old btnx either set it up for you or told you how. It looked nothing like what's in the new guide, but I don't remember any specifics.
    The old btnx did not change your xorg.conf file. I would have mob outside my door if my program played around with people's xorg.conf and gave them crashing x-sessions . The old guide gave the same advice for xorg.conf as the manual. The manual is based on old problems with btnx and their possible solutions.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chyrania View Post
    Why do we have to do all of this just to get forward and back navigation to work with firefox? I thought complex configuration was going to be eliminated from ubuntu.
    This is a step closer to less configuration. You'd know what I mean if you have tried the other mouse howto's and combining them with 2+ other tools to get the functionality you need. But part of the reasoning for complex configuration is to allow people to make complex configurations on top of simple ones. This is something that unfortunately scares away newcomers, but satisfies the veterans.

The old btnx started working right away after installation. But the new version is more generic, which means it will work with more mice with a little more effort on the user's part during configuration. Imagine Logitech coding their SetPoint software to work with other manufacturers' mice. Not exactly something that is easily made automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Depressed Man View Post
    Well, for most of these things it's a problem with the hardware (which usually requires drivers). Of course none of these companies offer drivers usually, meaning it has to be built up from the ground by people. The people who work on Ubuntu spend most of their time designing the actual operating system itself. Not the drivers for the hardware.

Think about it this way. If you have a logitech mouse you have to install the drivers (setpoint) in Windows to get everything working. Otherwise you only have the three main buttons (plus scroll) working only. Don't install setpoint? Well all those buttons are useless. And it'd be crazy if the people who worked on the operating system had to work on both the operating system and drivers for the wide range of hardware out there. Hell Microsoft can't even do it (the only reason why most hardware works with them is because they've been in the operating system business since the beginning and wound up with a large large marketshare so companies have to make stuff that works on a Microsoft OS).

Of course what you could do is try to get everyone to use a uniform system of designing hardware so writing the drivers won't be so hard . But that's harder then even asking the companies to have support for Linux lol.
    This is partly true. However, there is a lot in the Linux kernel that already allows these special mice to work to a great extent. I think the window managers are partly to blame here. The kernel already sends button information to X, and from there to Gnome etc. But there is no way to configure these buttons in the window managers to do anything.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Perrako View Post
    Hey Daou,
    I had this problem a while ago and it's reappearing. I reinstalled Sabayon recently (gentoo based) and tried to use btnx-config. However, after I detect buttons and hit ok, it just crashes. If I run from the terminal, it says "Aborted" and in gdb it just gives a sigsev fault. My GTK+- is totally updated, but I'm still having this problem.

Thanks.
    You could try using the old btnx instead, if your mouse is supported by it. Did you install the newest version of btnx-config and btnx?

Do you know what version of gtk-libs you have? Give me the output of this command:
    Code:
    pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jkernsjr View Post
    Dude, Fantastic application!

I just purchased a Logitech VX Nano and was trying to figure out how to configure all the buttons. I tried a couple of other How-To's but yours is by far the easiest! Now if you can just get some binaries out there and maybe get it in the repositories.

One question...my VX Nano is not recognized by revoco although it has the same features as the MX Revolution. I looked at Froeses' site and it seems he has just not added it as one of the detected mice. Can I get this to work somehow? Do I need to go directly to Froese and get him to add it to revoco? I tried to fool btnx by manually changing the btnx_config but it just reverted back to saying I didnt have an MX Revolution?

Logitech VX Nano
    Vendor ID....0x046d
    Product ID...0xc521
    Try this:
    In the btnx source folder, change line 59 in revoco.c to
    Code:
    #define MX_REVOLUTION    0xc521
    Then, in btnx-config source folder (btnx-config-0.2.1/src) change line 22 in revoco.h to
    Code:
    #define REV_PRODUCT1            0xC521
    Then recompile both programs, install them, and fully test the revoco functionality. If it works, I'll include the changes in the next btnx version.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

daou:
    Try changing your InputDevice Device to "/dev/psaux".
    this made no difference. thanks for clearing up the middle click thing but the back and forward buttons still paste a D and C :/

also btnx seems to stop working once in a while and i have to restart it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is there ever going to be a binary package for btnx?

Thanks.

Page 47 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast