Page 39 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans

Cool Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Hello, I just found btnx and I'm having a few problems (and don't have the patience to search through the thread for an answer; sorry if my problem has already been solved).

I just got an MX Revolution. I'm trying to use btnx to configure extra buttons.

Some of the default configuration options work: search key is an example. However, most of the rest does not. The thumb-back button sends Button2 (middle click) events, forward sends Button3 (right). The thumb wheel doesn't do anything. Neither does tilting.

I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong protocol (ImPS/2) or maybe there is a different problem. In any case, thanks in advance, I'm sure you guys have a fix!

Edit: Now I cleared the config file and it wont detect my mouse at all! Except when I press the search key. But then its only detecting the search key...
    Last edited by pavpan; August 29th, 2007 at 02:05 AM.

Beans

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

So I got btnx running on my new box here, and it's just great! I have pretty much everything working with my MX Revolution, except for one thing. When I click my middle mouse button, it changes the scroll type (clicky vs continuous). Can btnx change this behavior, or do I need something like locomo?

Thanks!

Beans

THANK YOU!!!!!!

This installation and program worked to do EXACTLY what I wanted it to, and was quite painless. Your efforts are VERY much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

btnx-config doesn't work properly I got
    Warning: no valid pipes from pid <some_number>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This was a total bust for me, and I'll tell you why.

I don't know keyalt_whatever from Adams' apple.

See where I'm going? Right. The nice GUI is useless to me.

Oh, I did scroll around and find one fine person who had the two things I want most out of a mouse, and that's internet forward and back. So I copied all the stuff he had posted, and ... nothing. yes, I saved each one as I did them, and enabled them before saving, but nothing happened. Restarted, the machine. Still nothing. Even though I never saw anywhere that "this here thing will make it start working".

Might I make a suggestion?

You know those nice drop down thingies where you set the button function? How about put "right click" "left click" "scroll up" "scroll down" "forward" "back", etc. please? Then say how to make it start working, all right there up front in black and white, please?

I've now decided, against my wishes, to go here, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=logitech , and try to set my mouse up this way again. I never ever get it to work the first time. Ever. I had high hopes for btnx, but once again, I have run into a program that is made for people who know the ins and outs of Linux, not the people who just want an alternative to windows that "just works".

I do applaud you for making what appears to be a really great program, and am not knocking it, I'm just mad that it appears to be made for people with way more knowlege of the os that I have.

Perhaps just a simple page that breaks down all keyalt_whatevers into their "noob" (read that as "people who just want an alternative to windows that "just works"" ) form. Like just like them all side by side:

keyalt_left = page back

or whatever, then somewhere make it plain what one does to make btnx take effect.

That would be very useful.

Thank you, and wish me luck with that other means of accomplishing the same ends.

That's my two cents for the day, I hope it's useful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    The site is back online. There was a lightning storm a couple of days ago which knocked out power. Forgot to boot up the server (an old IBM Thinkpad dusting in the corner).
    Seems that it's down again.
    Can you get her kick-started again?
    Anyone have an alternative place to download from?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pavpan View Post
    Hello, I just found btnx and I'm having a few problems (and don't have the patience to search through the thread for an answer; sorry if my problem has already been solved).

I just got an MX Revolution. I'm trying to use btnx to configure extra buttons.

Some of the default configuration options work: search key is an example. However, most of the rest does not. The thumb-back button sends Button2 (middle click) events, forward sends Button3 (right). The thumb wheel doesn't do anything. Neither does tilting.

I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong protocol (ImPS/2) or maybe there is a different problem. In any case, thanks in advance, I'm sure you guys have a fix!

Edit: Now I cleared the config file and it wont detect my mouse at all! Except when I press the search key. But then its only detecting the search key...
    I've got the same problem, pasting my xorg.conf into here too. I've tried a few different Device Options with no success.

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "MXRevo"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"      "auto"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
        Option          "Buttons"       "3"
    EndSection

EDIT: Found the issue, it's b/c i'm on a laptop using the Synaptics driver for the touchpad/styk. Now just need to figure out how to have my MX Revo use another driver and section of xorg.conf. I'm on the search now, but if anyone wants to jump in here and help me before hand that would be GREAT
    Last edited by bimmerd00d; September 6th, 2007 at 09:42 PM.
    Mine ---Dell Latitude D820 - 8.10 - Core2Duo T7400, 3GB
    G/f's --- Dell Studio 15 - 8.10 - Core2Duo T8400, 4GB, intel GMA Xeleventybillion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d View Post
    I've got the same problem, pasting my xorg.conf into here too. I've tried a few different Device Options with no success.

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "MXRevo"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"      "auto"
        Option          "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
        Option          "Buttons"       "3"
    EndSection

EDIT: Found the issue, it's b/c i'm on a laptop using the Synaptics driver for the touchpad/styk. Now just need to figure out how to have my MX Revo use another driver and section of xorg.conf. I'm on the search now, but if anyone wants to jump in here and help me before hand that would be GREAT
    I fixed my problem, which is exactly yours (though I'm on adesktop) by:
    clear btnx config file (there's a button on the bottom)
    remove usb reciever thing
    plug in it into another usb port
    do "configure mouse/buttons"
    get the mouse configuration (follow onscreen instructions)
    make usre you press the search key and the other mouse buttons, and that at the end when you have to save mouse configuration, it says handlers: 2)
    add actions to buttons as you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pavpan View Post
    I fixed my problem, which is exactly yours (though I'm on adesktop) by:
    clear btnx config file (there's a button on the bottom)
    remove usb reciever thing
    plug in it into another usb port
    do "configure mouse/buttons"
    get the mouse configuration (follow onscreen instructions)
    make usre you press the search key and the other mouse buttons, and that at the end when you have to save mouse configuration, it says handlers: 2)
    add actions to buttons as you want.
    Doesn't seen to work on mine. I believe it's an issue with the synaptics driver for my touchpad. I think the Logitech is trying to use the Synaptics driver instead of the builtin "mouse." I'm trying to figure out a way to have the MX talk to another driver in xorg.conf. I'm kind of n00bish, so this is proving to be difficult
    Mine ---Dell Latitude D820 - 8.10 - Core2Duo T7400, 3GB
    G/f's --- Dell Studio 15 - 8.10 - Core2Duo T8400, 4GB, intel GMA Xeleventybillion.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

One thing keeps me wondering though - new release of xorg is out and it includes some changes in handling of an input devices and I am not sure if it will even have a xorg.conf file any more.

How can that affect the possibilities of developing and using btnx in the future?

Page 39 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast