Page 26 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: btnx-config crashing with cordless click plus

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    I can't seem to reproduce this problem. Does it happen every time for you?
    I tried it 3 or 4 times. The first time, I was clicking repeatedly and thought maybe I'd overflowed a buffer before it could say - "stop", but the subsequent times I did individual clicks till the progress bar filled, so I assume it was when the program went on to the next stage. This occurs on the first button I use - the left button. I haven't tried using a different button to see if that changes anything. I guess there is always the risk with left button that there could be an interaction with the X messages going to the program as a result of mouse clicks - maybe I should use a button that doesn't do anything at present to simplify what is going on.

I have an idea where the problem is based on the output, and added one more check, but I can't confirm if it fixes it.
    I'll try again in a few hours when I'm at home.

Do I just use the same wget line for the new version or is the version number updated from 0.1.1 ?

Ray

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by rzj View Post
    I tried it 3 or 4 times. The first time, I was clicking repeatedly and thought maybe I'd overflowed a buffer before it could say - "stop", but the subsequent times I did individual clicks till the progress bar filled, so I assume it was when the program went on to the next stage. This occurs on the first button I use - the left button. I haven't tried using a different button to see if that changes anything. I guess there is always the risk with left button that there could be an interaction with the X messages going to the program as a result of mouse clicks - maybe I should use a button that doesn't do anything at present to simplify what is going on.

I'll try again in a few hours when I'm at home.

Do I just use the same wget line for the new version or is the version number updated from 0.1.1 ?

Ray
    Yes, just wget 0.1.1. I tried clicking as fast as I could (until my index finger was numb ), but I didn't get the same error. It shouldn't be possible to overrun the input buffer. It's size is static, but it only reads as many bytes as the buffer can hold. The process forks a child to read the handler, and then sends a message to the child to stop when enough clicks have been detected.

And the seg fault happened after the program stops reading the input handler (the output says that it terminated the child, meaning the child has already exited and done so without being forced, meaning it exited gracefully). This means no one could possibly be reading the input handler. So it is either an invalid free after the child exit (possibly when trying to clean up the interthread-pipes), or when the program tries to save information about the button (actually it just enables you to save the information at that point, but doesn't save anything until you name and add the button).
    Last edited by daou; July 2nd, 2007 at 06:15 PM.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

btnx-0.2.13 adds support for Logitech Cordless Click Plus (check FAQ section first). Thanks to rzj for hexdumping (let me know if everything is working correctly).
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

rzj,

Please use 0.1.2
    It adds a handler for segmentation faults, and dumps the core into your terminal. This will give me a better idea where the error occurs.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Yes, just wget 0.1.1. I tried clicking as fast as I could (until my index finger was numb ), but I didn't get the same error. It shouldn't be possible to overrun the input buffer. It's size is static, but it only reads as many bytes as the buffer can hold. The process forks a child to read the handler, and then sends a message to the child to stop when enough clicks have been detected.

And the seg fault happened after the program stops reading the input handler (the output says that it terminated the child, meaning the child has already exited and done so without being forced, meaning it exited gracefully). This means no one could possibly be reading the input handler. So it is either an invalid free after the child exit (possibly when trying to clean up the interthread-pipes), or when the program tries to save information about the button (actually it just enables you to save the information at that point, but doesn't save anything until you name and add the button).
    Seems to crash less often but still does.

Attached file was just pressing the "window" button

I have explorer ps2 set in my xorg.conf should I change this?

I did try, as suggested on several posts, changing the driver to evdev but that just failed on startx. But it occurred to me that I didn't know if btnx-config made any assumptions about the driver used - or if I need evdev to cope with my usb cordless receiver.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
    Option "Buttons" "14"
    EndSection

Ray
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Seems to crash less often but still does.

Attached file was just pressing the "window" button

I have explorer ps2 set in my xorg.conf should I change this?

I did try, as suggested on several posts, changing the driver to evdev but that just failed on startx. But it occurred to me that I didn't know if btnx-config made any assumptions about the driver used - or if I need evdev to cope with my usb cordless receiver.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
    Option "Buttons" "14"
    EndSection

Ray
    Version 0.1.2 didn't give you anymore output? I made a minor modification to 0.1.1, and updated the version. It should have printed a whole bunch of memory addresses etc.

There is a link to a working xorg.conf file in the Troubleshooting section of the first post, but I doubt this has anything to do with it.
    Last edited by daou; July 2nd, 2007 at 08:08 PM.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

Version 0.1.2 didn't give you anymore output?

STOP PRESS!

Didn't see your post re 0.1.2 only the one to reuse 0.1.1

back soon

Ray

Beans
    Distro

OK, new output file from 0.1.2

re your comment about xorg.conf not mattering, In its earliest form, I got nothing for the fwd/back buttons so I thought I would need something that worked to let btnx-config see the events - or are they picked up at a lower level before any xorg related drivers get in the act?

My tilt right does not seem to be seen by btnx-config at all, and when I was dumping stuff at low level before it seemed to be sending a code that was being interpreted as a keypress, not a mouse event.

Ray

Beans
    Distro

OK, new output file from 0.1.2

re your comment about xorg.conf not mattering, In its earliest form, I got nothing for the fwd/back buttons so I thought I would need something that worked to let btnx-config see the events - or are they picked up at a lower level before any xorg related drivers get in the act?

My tilt right does not seem to be seen by btnx-config at all, and when I was dumping stuff at low level before it seemed to be sending a code that was being interpreted as a keypress, not a mouse event.

Ray
    Yes, your xorg.conf is important when using btnx. I was referring to this crash problem. Actually, what's important in the xorg.conf file is to make it as simple as possible. You don't want xserver to interpret anything other than mouse movement, L+R+M buttons, and up+down scrolls. Although, btnx could handle even those if needed. This is because btnx looks at the raw input data stream before your xserver gets it. It augments what your xserver and window managers cannot accomplish.

And it still didn't output any of the output I was expecting. This is a strange error.
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans
    Distro

It seems the crashing is fairly random - I thought at first it was certain buttons that caused it, so I tried to capture just a few and then save the config file. That worked as each time it crashed I could restart it and carry on from where I left off. In fact all of the buttons have been captured after about 5 runs of the program.

Both left and right tilt are sending multiple events - in both cases it offered me a choice of two codes each with 6 events (the progress bar kept stepping up and back down each click then the dialog came up to choose).

The caption says to try one and then if that doesn't work to try the other. I'm not sure how you would do that as I could not see a mechanism to delete a single button entry.

When I tried capturing the same one again it kept telling me I had already captured a button, but it also gave me progress and then offered me several choices - one with lots of events and a couple with one or two. They may have been scroll but I think it would have discarded those as it already had them in the list. [edit - I think these were actually other buttons that I tried and got the "already mapped" type answer - I hadn't realised it was storing these in th elist for possible selection till I spotted the TRUE entries in the selection list]

Now I've got a config file I'm not sure what to do with it - does that have to wait till you update it to integrate with btnx? Is the btnx-config-test compatible so should I just rename it without the test on the end and restart btnx?

(I'll go back now and read the thread pages to see if there's something on that)

Anyway I've attached my btnx-config-test in case that's any use to you. It has two entries each for left and right tilt, but I guess both would be triggered each time the control was used??

Ray

Page 26 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast