Page 127 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1273

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Btnx does nothing for me in Kubuntu 9.10. It runs, detects the buttons on my Logitech MX310, and lets me assign keystrokes to e.g. the side buttons, but they do not perform the assigned keystrokes. The side buttons do work as "forward" and "backward" commands in Firefox, but that's it.

That is to say, Btnx does absolutely nothing. Possibly I am missing some critical step to invoke the settings, but I have no idea what that would be. Is there another app to program mouse buttons that is easier to get working? I would like to reproduce the functionality of the Logitech Mouseware software I used to do this in Windows XP.

Beans

I've installed btnx, but when I try to run it it gives me an error message:

Code:
    Error: no keycode file
    btnx-config needs the file /etc/btnx/events to run. 
    Make sure you have installed btnx first, and that the file exists.
    I checked my /etc folder and there is no /btnx in there !
    Thanks guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    Btnx does nothing for me in Kubuntu 9.10. It runs, detects the buttons on my Logitech MX310, and lets me assign keystrokes to e.g. the side buttons, but they do not perform the assigned keystrokes. The side buttons do work as "forward" and "backward" commands in Firefox, but that's it.

That is to say, Btnx does absolutely nothing. Possibly I am missing some critical step to invoke the settings, but I have no idea what that would be. Is there another app to program mouse buttons that is easier to get working? I would like to reproduce the functionality of the Logitech Mouseware software I used to do this in Windows XP.
    Unless something has changed, butnx stopped working several versions ago due to the way ubuntu detects buttons. This was not going to be fixed as far as I know. I use xbindkeys to assign the button functionality and if you have a revolution mouse, you can get the wheel functions via revoco.

Beans

Re: revoco dont go, no action!

Quote Originally Posted by Caruni View Post
    Hi,

I have tried so many things and versions but revoco dont run. All the rest is fine, but revoco dont want to do the right job.

At the moment I have installed version 0.4.11.3 (btnx) and 0.4.9.2 (btnx.config). I work with LinuxMint 7 and still as tried the older version (0.4.11 and 0.4.9), but the same problem.

It would be nice, if someone could give me little help. I work with a Logitech Mxrevolution (2nd) and would like to keep the revoco feature run. Before I had Ubuntu 9.04 installed and it worked, then I installed a nvidia 9500gt (graphic-card) and the problems begann. The revoco-feature didnt work more. Now I have installed LinuxMint new and have still the same problem.

Another problem that maybe as to do with the revoco-problem is, that it is not possible to start btnx-config from the menu, the only one possibility is to run from the terminal as sudo. If I do this, and after the configuration I click the button to start btnx again, I become this:

The most irritating message is "revoco has been removed from this build". What does this mean?

Hoppe someone can help me, thanks in forward.

Caruni
    Hi Caruni,

I was having the same issue of you, and I solved it apply two patchs that are available in the launchpad, follows the commands to be executed to have revoco working properly!

Code:
    $ cd /usr/src

$ sudo wget http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/btnx-0.4.11.tar.gz

$ sudo tar -xvvf btnx-0.4.11.tar.gz

$ cd btnx-0.4.11

$ sudo wget http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Estefanlsd/btnx/devel/diff/98

$ sudo patch -p1 < 98
    can't find file to patch at input line 4
    Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |=== modified file 'src/uinput.c'
    |--- src/uinput.c	2008-04-28 11:25:36 +0000
    |+++ src/uinput.c	2009-02-09 20:02:43 +0000
    File to patch: src/uinput.c
    patching file src/uinput.c

$ sudo wget http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Estefanlsd/btnx/devel/diff/99

$ sudo patch -p1 < 99
    can't find file to patch at input line 4
    |=== modified file 'src/btnx.h'
    |--- src/btnx.h	2008-04-05 09:43:43 +0000
    |+++ src/btnx.h	2009-02-10 21:37:42 +0000
    File to patch: src/btnx.h
    patching file src/btnx.h
    can't find file to patch at input line 16
    |
    |=== modified file 'src/uinput.c'
    |--- src/uinput.c	2009-02-09 20:02:43 +0000
    |+++ src/uinput.c	2009-02-10 21:37:42 +0000
    File to patch: src/uinput.c
    patching file src/uinput.c

$ sudo ./configure

$ sudo make

$ sudo make install

$ sudo /etc/init.d/btnx start
    That's it, enjoy the awesome Revoco feature!

Beans

Thank you for making the program I needed.
    My Media Play mouse now actually works for playing media.

Suggestion for a feature. allow mapping of a button and key for keystrokes e.g. ctrl + btn7 = leftmeta + m.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dondad View Post
    Unless something has changed, butnx stopped working several versions ago due to the way ubuntu detects buttons. This was not going to be fixed as far as I know. I use xbindkeys to assign the button functionality and if you have a revolution mouse, you can get the wheel functions via revoco.
    Yeah, I just got a Logitech MX Performance, which, so I've heard, replaced the revolution.

I've been messing around with btnx for about an hour and a half. I got it to recognize the buttons, rename them, ect, and assign commands to them. When I closed the program, though, nothing worked but the left, right and scrollwheel. plug/play gave me the forward and back buttons in Chrome, but after btnx, they didn't work anymore.

Trying xbindkeys now.

Beans

Well, xbindkeys seems really complicated for a noob like me. I've got it installed, and I think I made a config file, but I don't know how to get to it to edit it.

I've tried 3 programs already and it's getting frustrating. I don't know why it has to be so complicated to tell a button to do something. I'd like my thumb rest button to play/pause rythmbox, and maybe the "zoom" button to open rythmbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It says in the very first message that btnx doesn't work on recent Ubuntus. Still I wasted my time trying it to no avail. So what are we supposed to try ? Is there some place that _explains_ the xorg.conf syntax for mice ? I see plenty of so called tutorials that give you one example, but 'ButtonMapping' or 'ZAxisMapping' in InputClass or InputDevice doesn't explain anything to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I want to use the windows key and the menu key on the keyboard as left and right mouse buttons respectively.Is it possible to achieve this?

Beans

Cool Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

I just attempted to install btnx in Precise, and after adding ~80Mb of crap to my system (12.04 Kubuntu) all btnx install options failed.
    http://www.ollisalonen.com/ is loading completely blank pages for everyting and failing to respond to wget
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/daou/ubuntu/dists/ only goes up to Hardy
    And everything on https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...+build/2772828 fails to get a successful install result.

Can anyone help?
    It's not often that I want to assign keys to mouse buttons, but when I do btnx seems to be the only real option.

Page 127 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128 LastLast