Page 113 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1273

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Hello. MX Revolution owner on Kubuntu Hardy here.
    And it works almost perfectly. I love it.

I've set the search button to work as my middle button, and everywhere else it works.
    But in Firefox, it insists on bringing up the start page.
    Since I (normally) use my middle button constantly in Firefox, I'm going crazy!

Here's the pertinent xorg.conf section:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well the author hasn't been on the forums since May so I guess it is fair to say he has either died or been entered into witness protection. Either way, btnx is no longer available to download via the repositories and I have no idea how to compile the source code so is there any other software similar to this?
    November 4, 2008: GAME OVER!
    November 6, 2012: TRY AGAIN(y/n)?

Vista, Win7, and Hardy user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I got VX Nano, it would be great if i could use search button to open google. Anyone know how to do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Kronie View Post
    installed btnx for my mx revolution, launched it, it detected the mouse, and everything was cewl, untill i changed the scrool switch to click-by click and pressed on close button. now i cant launch btnx. this is what i get:

Code:
    kron@kron-desktop:~$ sudo btnx
     btnx: uinput modprobed successfully.
     btnx: Opening config file: /etc/btnx/btnx_config_Default
     btnx: Could not read the config file: No such file or directory
     btnx: Configuration file error.
    please, help me launch this thing! i really need it! i forgot whats the middle mouse for! and i never actually used middle mouse in ubuntu yet! T_T
    I've also got this error, but being a certified idiot, I've no idea how to get it sorted. I've tried removing it, but I can still see the files under etc/btnx - could someone enlighten a poor newbie. I wish I could offer some assistance in return, but I'm afraid that, unless you're after tutoring in ancient Greek or Roman poetry, I'm unlikely to be of use. And I was told the classics would come in handy in any circumstance...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

My mouse (Logitech MX310) has 6 buttons. The 6th one is used in Windows as a replacement for Alt+Tab. Nonetheless, Ubuntu treats is exactly the same as the 3rd button, hidden under mouse wheel.

I tried xev which reported that it treats both middle and - let's name it changeApp - buttons as one thins - button nr 2. Therefore I replaced 2nd by 9th (not existing) by running:
    Code:
    xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 9 3 4 5 6 7 8 2"
    as proposed in Troubleshooting of btnx. This allows me to change the behaviour of changeApp button, but I'd like to replace earlier functionality to middle button.

I tried to set middle to BTN_MIDDLE, but it doesn't work. However, BTN_4 works similarly - I said: similarly, not exactly as middle click.

There is an example - middle click in Fx enables autoscroll, identified by small circle-shaped icon. Next middle click, anywhere inside the window, turns this off. BTN_4 makes autoscroll enabled, but next click inside the window doesn't turn it off - but enables once again, now displaying autoscroll icon in last-clicked place.

So that's the question: how to bring middle button back default middle click functionality, not affecting changeApp button functionality?

EDIT: It turned out that BTN_4 limites middle button functionality even more - all paste-like behavior disappeared. For example, marking some text in a console and then middle-clicking doesn't paste selected text. As it's one of the most needed functions for me, without it working btnx become useless for me...

Anybody could help?
    Last edited by mgol; September 24th, 2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: new information
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Square View Post
    Hi,

I'm experiencing a somewhat strange problem.
    btnx correctly identifies my mouse (Logitech LX3) and all its buttons, including the horizontal scroll buttons. Since Ubuntu doesn't recognize my horizontal scroll buttons I decided to map them using btnx-config. Unfortunately the desired action isn't carried out whenever I use either of the scroll buttons - I also tried assigning a command to the buttons instead of keystrokes. I made sure that only my scroll buttons were enabled and nothing else.

Strangely, it turns out that each time I push one of the assigned buttons (my scroll buttons in this case), a new btnx process is spawned. It took me a while to figure out what was happening by which stage I had over 50 btnx processes running.

I'm using the latest version of btnx available through the repo and am on Hardy.

Any help would be appreciated.
    1. Somewhat belated ... but what keystrokes did you assign your scroll buttons to?

2. Are you referring to your tilt-wheel buttons and not the scroll-wheel itself?

I presume you are using

* btnx:
    o 0.4.11 - btnx-0.4.11.tar.gz
    o ChangeLog
    * btnx-config:
    o 0.4.9 - btnx-config-0.4.9.tar.gz
    o ChangeLog

I just configured my logitech V150 on another machine from scratch and it worked, less for the "Could not restart btnx" bug. I got mine from http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/ via the repo.

Let us know if you still need any help.

Beans

From http://www.ollisalonen.com/btnx/

September 14, 2008

Good and bad news. Bad news first. Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, which is to be released in October, breaks the foundations that btnx was built on. It seems that the kernel input event pipes can no longer be read. It is most likely related X.Org v.7.4. This means I will stop all development of btnx.

Then the good news. It seems evdev is catching up with today's input devices and reports all buttons from at least an MX Revolution. There exist methods to bind these buttons to other events. However, all of these are somewhat laborous and cryptic. One option is to develop a new GUI and daemon for binding these X mouse button events, similar to btnx, but one that lives only in x-sessions. It would sniff the X mouse events and send alternate keyboard/mouse events through XTest.

I do not have time to do this by myself. However, if someone is interested in developing something, get in touch with me. I have a few ideas that I would be glad to share and might even help in development.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Damn... All good has to come to an end I suppose... I just hope someone knowing enough will come and take over... Just want my MX Revo to work as good as now at the future...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by olmari View Post
    Damn... All good has to come to an end I suppose... I just hope someone knowing enough will come and take over... Just want my MX Revo to work as good as now at the future...
    I have an MX Revolution, and having seen the post about 'the death of btnx' some days ago I tried this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219894 ...and I'm still struggling with it.

I can get a response from the side scroll wheel (for example) by running xev in a terminal window, but when it comes to mapping the buttons to functions I'm clueless - I cannot get xbindkeys to work. This is where someone with the right understanding / experience could do something useful in developing a btnx 'equivalent' UI. Anyone out there understand all this?

My example is that I want to use the side scroll wheel to control the volume control. I know the corresponding button numbers for 'scroll wheel pull' and 'scroll wheel push' but I can't map them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by JemW View Post
    I have an MX Revolution, and having seen the post about 'the death of btnx' some days ago I tried this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219894 ...and I'm still struggling with it.

I can get a response from the side scroll wheel (for example) by running xev in a terminal window, but when it comes to mapping the buttons to functions I'm clueless - I cannot get xbindkeys to work. This is where someone with the right understanding / experience could do something useful in developing a btnx 'equivalent' UI. Anyone out there understand all this?

My example is that I want to use the side scroll wheel to control the volume control. I know the corresponding button numbers for 'scroll wheel pull' and 'scroll wheel push' but I can't map them.
    I tried for weeks getting my MX 1000 or whatever it is working with xbindkeys without any luck. This is quite aggravating that btnx will no longer with with 8.10 - it was the only application that actually made it easy to configure.
    Athlon64 X2 6000+, M2N-SLI Deluxe, 2gb Corsair XMS3200, 7600GT/6600GT

Page 113 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast