Page 103 of 128 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1273

Thread: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: btnx: Send keyboard and mouse combination events with mouse buttons

Quote Originally Posted by DanielCeregatti View Post
    If only I could get buttons 6 and 7 to be "available", I could accomplish my goal.
    Which buttons are 6 and 7?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thanks a million, BTNX is great, my MX1000 is all buttons now!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daou View Post
    The theme shouldn't matter, but always remember to start btnx-config with sudo. Try deleting the file /etc/btnx/btnx_manager and if a file called /etc/btnx/btnx_config_Default exists, delete that as well. Then start btnx-config again.
    A file by the name btnx_config_Default does not exist in that directory. As of now the only files in it are btnx_manager, btnx)settings, and events. I cannot start btnx-config even as sudo. I cannot start the program from the menu either, although it does ask for my password when I click on it. Nothing happens after that.

Beans

It's pretty obvious that some people in the process are trying to "fix" things by making X,GDM, and other parts respond to things such as "multimedia buttons" and the things that stop working/change between distros and updates.
    Since different mouses send different keycodes, even for similar buttons, if you try to generalize, then you're using an unwieldy kludge, and you break things, especially the things that we use to deal with the actual problems, especially the ones that actually work.

Now, if only there were an elegant way to address this so that such changes could be reverted.... As of now, the only thing we can do is locate where the problems actually lie, and submit individual bug reports for them, and pray - that someone will see it our way, and even if they do, we still have to hope that they care enough about it to fix it.

Not impossible, just labor-intensive.
    When the only peace your enemy understands is the "Peace of the dead," you have no choice but to make peace in those terms.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    Which buttons are 6 and 7?
    It doesn't matter. What matters is that I can't make btnx reproduce buttons 6 and 7 when, in the xorg.conf configuration I must use to get btnx to work at all, they simply don't "exist". As I stated before, only buttons 1-5, 8 and 9 "exist" to be either clicked natively by the mouse or reproduced via btnx, as observed using xev. Using all the available BTN_* keycodes in btnx-config yields no output in xev other than button events 1-5, 8, and 9. I know, it doesn't seem to make sense, but this is what I've observed.

But, to answer your question: Gtk and Qt apps know about buttons 6 and 7, which are normally mapped to HWHEEL events. They're used for horizontal scrolling in applications that use Gtk and Qt.

Anyhow, just so this is clear, when using evdev, this mouse produces button events 1-12 as expected, so it's not a hardware issue.

So again, what I think I need is some sort of xorg.conf mouse section that can "make buttons 1-7 exist" (I don't need anything higher than 7), regardless of what X seems to think exists via the driver. That way btnx should be able to generate the buttons I need. Does this seem feasible? If so, does anyone have any suggestions?

At this time, I have btnx doing exactly what I want, minus the availability of buttons 6 and 7, which I suppose I could live without. It just bugs me that I can't everything I want!

Daniel

Beans

Here I am, responding to my own post again. Anyhow, using xmodmap, I _can_ generate buttons 6 and 7 from the mouse buttons but NOT from btnx. Any one of BTN_* fails to generate buttons 6 or 7.

I'm at a loss here.

Beans

I just want to mention that I did fresh installations of both 64 bit and 32 bit and got btnx working fine with my MX Revolutino mouse! it is simply great now that everything works!
    The default profile not found error is something you can fix in the next version maybe. What was happening was I created a new profile by the name MX and set all the buttons. However when I click to restart btnx, it won't restart and say check if btnx was correctly installed. When trying to restart from the command line, it would complain about the default profile not found. I double clicked on Default in btnx-config and that made it active (an asterisk on it) and then btnx restarted fine. Even if the profile MX is not set as default, all buttons work as desired.

Beans

thanks for a great app!
    i got it all running smoothly with my mx revolution except one minor thing, back and forward mouse clicks in firefox take me two pages back or forward, this is probably due to those buttons were working back and forward buttons in firefox already before i installed btnx.

one solution might be to unassign those buttons but i really like to have back and forward working also in nautilus etc

any suggestions?

Beans

Has anyone come up with a convenient way to switch between virtual desktops.

In KDE, on the taskbar there is an "up arrow" displayed, and if one clicks on it a list of desktops appears along with a list of what is on each desktop. I would like to assign that functionality to a mouse button. Anybody know the command to execute that "up arrow" thingie?

Beans

Answered my own question. Alt-F5 will show the list of windows and the applications that are open within each window. The only drawback is that it only shows windows that have something open in them. So, if you want to open an application in a new window, you have to open the application first, and then do the right click on the title bar and To Desktop option. Then it will appear in the applications list and you can switch to it.

Page 103 of 128 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast