View Poll Results: Should we show users the installation process as well as how to use Ubuntu?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we should show users the installation. We'll use CDs

12 80.00%
  • No, we don't have to show users the installation. We can use network install/alternate

3 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install Fest - Walkthrough Installation?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Install Fest - Walkthrough Installation?

hey, when is this festival,

i am using ubuntu since 2 months. i love it.

i live in baltimore too.

i might participate, if i get time.
    Dhruva

Beans

There should be a graphical layout showing all the steps in the installation process.
    Both Pardus and PCLOS do this and its brilliant - not perfect, but puts a lot of mind to rest about what will happen and what the user will see when they press the install button.

A must have feature IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Okay, this has clearly been decided! CD based install it is! John (phr0ze) has a cd duplicator and can make many copies of the image. I will be bringing a single server for the people without a cd-rom drive to load an image off of.

As far as the people without a NIC... well if they have a cd rom drive then they are fine. I have never used a usb based modem, so I don't know about support for it.

Does anyone have a USB to Ethernet adapter we could use for the random people that don't have a cd-rom drive OR NIC? I don't really want to get into opening computers.

Chuck if you wish/can you may close the poll.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by aboutblank View Post
    Does anyone have a USB to Ethernet adapter we could use for the random people that don't have a cd-rom drive OR NIC? I don't really want to get into opening computers.
    I'm going to buy one, but I need to be sure the one I get doesn't require drivers which aren't included with the install CD. I know some USB Wifi adapters work out of the box, but all the compatibility charts are unclear. It must also be a brand that can be found locally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12