Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Alternative to firefox?

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Re: Alternative to firefox?

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    This is just a random example, but it happens anytime the MPlayer plugin is called to play a video.
    http://media.putfile.com/Bazzaned
    Maybe try a different Plugin, VLC for Windows had a plugin for FF...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by thisllub View Post
    If you use nswrapper your firefox is condemned to eternal hell.
    Better to install firefox32.
    I'm on a 32 bit system.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

I didnt know there was a flock for ubuntu, anyway, I also was reading on the linux magazine that is better to install your own browser, for some xx reasons.... http://www.linux-mag.com/ and search for the browser article

anyway that is a lot better!!! thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Konqueror is my favorite browser. Unless you use some really obscure firefox extensions, Konqueror can do just about everything firefox can, like tabbed browsing, ad blocking, and mouse gestures. It can even do some things firefox can't, like split windows, a built-in universal document reader (very handy for reading .pdf and .doc files), and integration with tons of KDE apps, including a download manager (KGet) and an RSS reader (Akregator). The only things I miss from firefox is live bookmarks and greasemonkey.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by tehkain View Post
    But thats just for google

I want the 'wikipedia pirates' function. Rather then pressing down to get to the engine I want. I like the right click function but sometimes I have nothing to highlight.

Edit: Deskbar has this function therefore I am satisfied but waiting for spelling suggestions.
    you want the "smart bookmarks" extension

bookmark a url and stick %s in the url and it will show up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This might seem counter-intuitive, but maybe adding the NoScript extenstion could solve our crashing problems. After installing, go into the options and under Advanced>Untrusted select the checkbox for "Forbid Macromedia Flash". This way, Flash will be disabled for all sites you visit, unless you explicitly whitelist or temp-whitelist the site (which is easily done). Any random site you visit with goofy Flash banners and such will be disabled by default.

Not only does this make your browsing experience less cluttered, but it saves you from unexpected or unknown Flash content. Save the Flash for sites you visit often and/or for which flash is required. If nothing else, you'll have a better idea of which tabs were running Flash when you crash.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gregmark View Post
    This might seem counter-intuitive, but maybe adding the NoScript extenstion could solve our crashing problems. After installing, go into the options and under Advanced>Untrusted select the checkbox for "Forbid Macromedia Flash". This way, Flash will be disabled for all sites you visit, unless you explicitly whitelist or temp-whitelist the site (which is easily done). Any random site you visit with goofy Flash banners and such will be disabled by default.

Not only does this make your browsing experience less cluttered, but it saves you from unexpected or unknown Flash content. Save the Flash for sites you visit often and/or for which flash is required. If nothing else, you'll have a better idea of which tabs were running Flash when you crash.
    An easier way to do this is with the FlashBlock extension, which removes all flash elements and replaces them with a button you can click if you want to use them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by junior aspirin View Post
    you want the "smart bookmarks" extension

bookmark a url and stick %s in the url and it will show up.
    Epiphany does this anyway.

My only gripe about Epiphany is the Gecko rendering engine with its memory-eating habits. Everything else is lovely, especially the bookmarks tagging thing.
    A Fedora user

Beans

so, wich browsewr did you end up using?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456