Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Warcraft III with wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

HOWTO: Warcraft III with wine

Hi,
    I was considering getting a Cedega subscription, since they claim that Warcraft III works well, and then was reading around on the net and saw it mentioned that it actually works under wine just as well. So I thought I'd give it a shot first; it worked well for me, so I thought I'd share my procedure with other Ubuntu users. Here's what to do:
    1. Add the wine repository to your sources list:
      deb http://wine.sourceforge.net/apt/ binary/
      either via Synaptic or just add the line to /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Refresh your package list:
      sudo apt-get update (or click update in Synaptic)
    3. Install winetools (this will install wine also):
      sudo apt-get install winetools
      or in synaptic search for winetools and install
    4. In a terminal, run 'winetools', it should give you a message about wine not having been configured yet, if it doesn't then you probably have a .wine/ directory in your home folder and you might want to delete that to make sure you're starting from scratch here.
      Click QK until you get to the "WineTools" screen. Select the Base setup and press ok. From the Base Setup, Create a fake windows drive; make sure to select the correct mount point for your cdrom drive (probably /media/cdrom0). Next install TrueType Font Arial. Finally, install DCOM98.
    5. Exit winetools and open the wine config file that was created in a text editor (eg nano .wine/config). Look
      for '[Version]' and under that where it says:
      "Windows" = "win98"
      change it to:
      "Windows" = "winxp"
      then save the file and exit.
    6. Now it is time to install Warcraft. Put your cd in the drive and type:
      wine /media/cdrom0/install.exe
      (asssuming that's where your cdrom is mounted)
      install as you usually would (I changed the path to C:\Games\Warcraft III, but that's just a personal preference). Exit the installer when you are finished.
    7. Unfortunately wine will not play the movies (though apparently you can watch them in xine or something) so it's best to move them so the game can not find them:
      cd .wine/fake_windows/Games/Warcraft\ III/
      mv Movies/ Moviez/
    8. Then you can start warcraft with:

wine "Warcraft III.exe" -opengl

Note: after upgrading to 1.18 warcraft would not run until I turn on '"HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"' in the [dsound] section of my wine config file; there was an error and message telling me to do so in my terminal when it failed to run.

Let me know if any of this is unclear, I hope it helps.

Bjorn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Warcraft III with wine

Isn't it easier to use cedega ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frodon
    Might be but cedega costs money. I, for one, am glad to see that you can use regular WINE to play games with!

I might give this a try sometime soon. I'll let you know how it went.
    "Windows is something to overcome"

Howto's by me:
    Tweak firefox! (URL now works..)
    Backup/Restore your system!
    Avoid having to reboot

Compentux.org
    , the Linux Tip & Howto gathering initiative!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Heliode
    Might be but cedega costs money. I, for one, am glad to see that you can use regular WINE to play games with!

I might give this a try sometime soon. I'll let you know how it went.
    can you post here how warcraft III work with wine .. slower, faster, same as window just for comparaison between cedega and wine. I have warcraft III running with cedega but I'm curious to compare with wine, so as soon as i have time i will try to compare it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

From what I was reading, no, it didn't look any easier with cedega (although maybe the point-to-play thing makes configuration a bit simpler, I donno). Also wine is free, cedega is not (I did try grabbing the winex cvs and building and installing that, but this was definately easier, and worked better).

As far as speed, I didn't notice a difference from when I played it in windows, but then, it's been a while since I played in windows, I have a fairly fast computer, and I haven't actually played for any length of time under wine, so that's just a basic first impression.

Beans
    Hidden!

In my experience, YES. I inserted my disc on my computer and typed "cedega Setup.exe", went through the installation, and that was it.

I found performance to be a lot slower on Linux (unplayable slower), but this is probably because I don't own a high end graphics card that Linux would be friends with (heck, I don't even own one). But still, on Linux I'm not able to play anything 3D other than Counter-Strike on Software mode, but on Windows I have played Half-Life 2 and more recently, Unreal Tournament 2004.

Results may vary.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Are you running with the -opengl flag? What I have read indicates that directX is very slow under wine/cedega. I'm assuming you're getting decent performance in windows on the same machine here. . .

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by holomorph
    Are you running with the -opengl flag? What I have read indicates that directX is very slow under wine/cedega. I'm assuming you're getting decent performance in windows on the same machine here. . .
    Although this was months ago, I'm sure I pretty much ran cedega WarcrapIII.exe with no flag. And yes, my gaming experience in Windows is Ok (I run UT2K4.. of course i can play warcraft ).
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

Got a few errors.

This is installing font.
    Choice is Base setup
    Choice is TrueType Font Arial with checked=F
    arial32.exe
    regedit: Can't export. Registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Uninstall' does not exist!
    Success

grep: /home/vinh/.wine/installed.reg: No such file or directory
    grep: /home/vinh/.wine/installed.reg: No such file or directory
    rm: cannot remove `/home/vinh/.wine/installed.reg': No such file or directory
    software installation verified by /home/vinh/.wine/winetools.log
    arial32.exe = installed at 01.07.2005 04:23:19

And this is trying to run install.
    vinh@SkyNet:~/.wine$ wine /media/cdrom0/install.exe
    err:module:import_dll Library ole32.dll (which is needed by L"D:\\install.exe") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library ole32.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system\\shlwapi.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library shlwapi.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system\\shell32.dll") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library SHELL32.dll (which is needed by L"D:\\install.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"D:\\install.exe" failed, status c0000135

Edit: to get pass that, i had to change back to win98, install dcom and exporer6.1.
    Last edited by Fexx; June 30th, 2005 at 08:33 PM.

I run have run warcraft III over both wine and cedega so I can give you a quick advantages of each

Cedega:
    - You can run it with directx, but that give no real advantage over -opengl
    - The movies work ( you can also just play them with a movie player )
    - The brightness toggle does not work in wine
    - The sound stutters in wine

Wine:
    - Alt-tab actually works with wine, not cedega
    - Its free and open source
    - You can install it with apt-get

Personally, I don't want to pay for cedega or compile the cvs version, so I am using wine

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast