Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally! Upload apps onto your Blackberry via Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Finally! Upload apps onto your Blackberry via Linux!

I recently got a BlackBerry, but I was very sad to learn there was no way to upload java applications (cod files) onto the phone using Linux. As a result, I was restricted to finding and installing only 'jad' files I found on the net. But the good developers at Barry-devel have added a java uploader with their latest release! And I do mean latest, like two days ago.

Which brings me to:
    Warning! The code I post about here is brand-spanking new. In the unlikely event it 'bricks' your phone, do not blame me or the developers. You are using this software at your own risk!

Furthermore, I have only tested this out on my Blackberry 8130 on Ubuntu 8.10 (Ibex). Your mileage may vary.

There are installation instructions here and dependencies are listed here. You will need both the packages under the heading Master Dependencies as well as the Dependency Packages for Debian stable found at the bottom of the page. I installed the basic needed dependencies (including anything noted for 'CVS builds only') as well as the GUI dependencies and ended up with about 66 Megs of newly installed libraries.

If you know what you're doing when it comes to compiling this sort of thing, go to it! Otherwise, I am posting this brief recap of what I did to install Barry successfully. However, please note the previously mentioned guide is extremely thorough and well-written. Please use the guide you are reading now if you feel you need an example of the installation process or the resulting bjavaloader command.

I used the git method, which requires git to be installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core
    Next, download a copy of the latest build with git:
    Code:
    git clone git://repo.or.cz/barry.git barry
    This creates a directory called 'barry' in whatever directory you ran the git command in (I used my home directory). Next, go into the barry folder and run the buildgen.sh script:
    Code:
     cd barry
    ./buildgen.sh
    Hopefully no errors. If you got an error, make sure you have both automake and libtool installed. Next, run the configure command. I ran with only the GUI option which provides a simple GUI for the barrybackup command since I am not interested in syncing or using the boost feature. If you are interested in these features, please install the required dependencies and use the appropriate flag. Note that you don't need the GUI for bjavaloader as bjavaloader is part of the base package:
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-gui
    Finally, make and install. Since this is development software, it's likely you'll be met with an error or two. I know I had my share. You can try getting help here or, even better, at the barry-devel mailing list. Sign up, ask questions and report bugs! They love it.
    Code:
    make
    sudo make install
    FYI, I tried checkinstall in place of make install, but got no love.

Now with any (aka: lots of) luck, you should have barry installed.

Understand that using barry is not a case of finding 'barry' in your applications menu or running 'barry' in a commmand line. Barry consists of several smaller commands you use separately and they can be found in your /usr/local/bin directory:
    Code:
    ls /usr/local/bin
    There's plenty of documentation about using btool and barrybackup (not a bad one to utilize before going any further), but what we're interested in is bjavaloader. Use this command to see the options available to you:
    Code:
    bjavaloader -h
    The commands are relatively straight forward, but let's run through a few important commands anyway. To install an application, simply use the 'load' command:
    Code:
    bjavaloader load coolapp.cod
    After your Blackberry and computer finish chatting, the application should appear alongside the others you have installed on your phone. Now, it is important to understand you cannot remove the app by using the 'delete' command from your phone! You must use bjavaloader to remove applications installed with bjavaloader. So, to remove said app, first find it using the dir command:
    Code:
    bjavaloader dir
    This will return lots of output like you see below. Just look for the app in question. In this case, 'coolapp':
    Code:
    ...<clip>
      net_rim_bluetooth                                 
                                0x7810 4.5.0.7700 1335760 Fri Aug 15 11:24:32 2008
      net_rim_ecmascript                                
                                0x7880 4.5.0.7700 1766600 Fri Aug 15 11:25:20 2008
      net_rim_ecmascript_resource                       
                                0x7910 4.5.0.7700 1744000 Fri Aug 15 11:25:29 2008
      net_rim_ecmascript_resource__en                   
                                0x7940 4.5.0.7700 5220000 Fri Aug 15 11:25:31 2008
      net_rim_ecmascript_regexp                         
                                0x7970 4.5.0.7700 2566000 Fri Aug 15 11:25:17 2008
      net_rim_ecmascript_resource__fr                   
                                0x79a0 4.5.0.7700 1760000 Fri Aug 15 11:25:34 2008
      net_rim_ecmascript_resource__es                   
                                0x79d0 4.5.0.7700 1760000 Fri Aug 15 11:25:33 2008 

CoolApp                                        
                                0x13a2 2.3.200000 6557960 Tue Oct 28 14:33:03 2008
      GoogleMail                                        
                                0x1455 2.0.600000 4507040 Wed Oct  1 14:22:25 2008
      BBNotePad                                         
                                0x1522 1.1.200000 1218880 Tue Jan  6 04:45:11 2009
      GoogleMaps                                        
                                0xe030 3.00000000 3037600 Sat Jul 21 17:48:59 2007
    Then use the erase command to remove it:
    Code:
    bjavaloader erase CoolApp
    After your phone and computer stop chatting again, the app should be gone. Ta-daa!

I hope this makes someone else as happy as myself. I stumbled over a patch announcement in barry-devel and the developers were extremely helpful and good natured with my questions. Be sure to give them some love (the monetary kind, if possible) for their hard work.

Good luck!
    Last edited by DirtDawg; March 3rd, 2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fixing errs

Beans

Re: Finally! Upload apps onto your Blackberry via Linux!

i could use some help when i try to load i get this error googled no retrun
    "bjavaloader: symbol lookup error: bjavaloader: undefined symbol: _ZN5Barry4Mode10JavaLoaderC1ERNS_10ControllerE" any id
    ads

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by richardrblc View Post
    i could use some help when i try to load i get this error googled no retrun
    "bjavaloader: symbol lookup error: bjavaloader: undefined symbol: _ZN5Barry4Mode10JavaLoaderC1ERNS_10ControllerE" any id
    ads
    I'm sorry but I don't have any idea what that means. The software is very cutting edge so there's plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong.

The developers have a mailing list. Posting info is here. You can post without signing up. The developers are very friendly, would likely appreciate hearing of your error and may be able to help you fix it.

Sorry I can't help you further.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the writeup. I tried the barry package a few months back and could never get the gui flag to work with the svn build.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Thanks for the writeup. I tried the barry package a few months back and could never get the gui flag to work with the svn build.
    Did you ever manage to get it working? Just curious.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No -- this never worked for me:
    ./configure --enable-gui

I just simply did the plain old
    ./configure

skipping the gui, and this worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Cheers, it works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

In case of those strange "symbol lookup error" please make sure you have NO Berry .deb installed (use "sudo aptitude search barry" to be sure).

Beans

btool: error while loading shared libraries: libbarry.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    pat@pat:/usr/local/bin$ bjavaloader
    bjavaloader: error while loading shared libraries: libbarry.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Everything built without errors (after installing automake and libtools); then same error as other methods.

You should consider added a command line test for automake and libtools to the front of your instructions.

Beans

BTW sudo fixes the " libbarry.so.0 " error. So, need to run that down too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast