Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does Automatix break systems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Why does Automatix break systems?

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    I have wanted to ask the same question, because lots of people try to make Automatix out to be Satan himself. What they never explain is exactly how Automatix causes problems. Since it is a script that downloads and installs software, I am not so sure what the problem is. You may say the problem is with the software that Automatix installs, but then Automatix is not really the problem, is it? The problem would have to be with the developer or the person who packaged the application.
    Not only that, but installing the same app the hard way would break the system just the same. So far, compiledkernel's answer makes most sense: it's not the software, but the configuration tweaks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have been in conversations with the staff and to me it seems like a primarily political thing that has turned into a blood feud rivalry that might have had some basis in the past but not any longer, but the damage is done, and they attack it at nearly every chance they can, even doing searches and form letter like replies to any post that mentions automatix (at least in the past, I have not kept track of their current SOP's).

I have used automatix from breezy to edgy without incident and still use it for dapper installs. I do understand the point about support and third party repos, but that does not explain the level of scorn automatix receives from the staff.

I am now using feisty, and so far I don't need automatix. But if I do a new install of dapper, it is one of the go-to tools I rely on.

The staffs treatment of automatix has been a great disappointment for me personally and is the only real tarnish the staff has taken on its otherwise tremendous service in my view.
    How to install and run Photoshop 7 or earlier in wine
    Switched to Linux completely 1 January 2007 Ahh, a solid year of freedom
    My Website

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shay Stephens View Post
    The staffs treatment of automatix has been a great disappointment for me personally and is the only real tarnish the staff has taken on its otherwise tremendous service in my view.
    Hopefully me posting this won't get the thread deleted but although I would in no way put it past anyone on this forum to be childish, more than likely the attitude of the automatix creator played no small role in any hostilty that lingers.

I have seen the guy claim in this very forum that the success of ubuntu is largely down to him and his script so that gives you somewhat of an idea of the lack of humility

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by egon spengler View Post
    Hopefully me posting this won't get the thread deleted but although I would in no way put it past anyone on this forum to be childish, more than likely the attitude of the automatix creator played no small role in any hostilty that lingers.

I have seen the guy claim in this very forum that the success of ubuntu is largely down to him and his script so that gives you somewhat of an idea of the lack of humility
    Ya there is that too. Part of the feud. Stupid. But indeed he has been instrumental in the success of ubuntu. I relied on automatix, relied mind you, to make dapper work the way I needed it to. Thankfully that has changed with feisty. But he does deserve some credit regardless.
    How to install and run Photoshop 7 or earlier in wine
    Switched to Linux completely 1 January 2007 Ahh, a solid year of freedom
    My Website

Beans
    Distro

So, in the end Automatix is not bad but it was just not Ubuntu politic...

Something simple like installing proprietary softwares was not recommended by Ubuntu. Not because it would break, but because of the licensing.

They have changed their way big time for Feisty Fawn.

As for Automatix, I don't see any problem as long as you are aware that if something goes wrong, you won't be able to ask for help from this community here.

The reason is that you don't know what's being done. When you do them manually, you know what you have done and can explain it here.
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans
    Distro

Actually, I don't think there's zealotry on the Ubuntu side about much of the proprietary stuff, as there are legal restrictions in several jurisdictions penalizing their distribution. I wouldn't want to risk Ubuntu because of mp3 support, for example.

However, I don't think that doing things the right way is for everybody. For example, average users shouldn't ever touch sources.list, IMO. Not because it's hard to do (objetively speaking, it's pretty easy, the file structure is quite evident), but because they might carelessly break more stuff than Automatix could ever dream about breaking. The command line is great for me, but not for, say, my mom.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Shay Stephens View Post
    I have been in conversations with the staff and to me it seems like a primarily political thing that has turned into a blood feud rivalry that might have had some basis in the past but not any longer, but the damage is done, and they attack it at nearly every chance they can, even doing searches and form letter like replies to any post that mentions automatix (at least in the past, I have not kept track of their current SOP's).

I have used automatix from breezy to edgy without incident and still use it for dapper installs. I do understand the point about support and third party repos, but that does not explain the level of scorn automatix receives from the staff.

I am now using feisty, and so far I don't need automatix. But if I do a new install of dapper, it is one of the go-to tools I rely on.

The 'tarnish' in my view is that the Ubuntu staff puts up with the Automatix developers. I really wish people like you had a CLUE what the staff has had to endure from them, and what they've been trying to accomplish with them, just so you can have an easier time installing your codecs. But, in the interest of keeping the peace, and promises to friends, I'll stop this there.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

well they dont even post here anymore do they? they got their 3rd party application forum removed and now have their own forum. I sometimes see arnieboy post... occasionally.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    they got their 3rd party application forum removed and now have their own forum.
    Correction: arnieboy asked to have his 3rd-party forum removed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yeah thats what i meant. he asked for it to be removed because he got his own website and forums where he could give support without a couple of members giving him greif.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast