Thread: Debian KDE vs Net Install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Debian KDE vs Net Install

Does anyone know the differences between intalling the Debian KDE offered on the Debian site and just using Net Install to install KDE?
    Focus on how it can be rather than how it could've been.

Beans

Re: Debian KDE vs Net Install

Debian KDE install installs the newest KDE when the .iso file was put together. So it may be a bit outdated (I know KDE is being updated in Debian Sid pretty soon, within the next week probably).

If you net install KDE you'll get the newest version. So you can burn the CD today, and install in a year, and it will pull in the newest package instead of the one on the CD.

Beans
    Hidden!

(I know KDE is being updated in Debian Sid pretty soon, within the next week probably).
    To my knowledge, KDE on Sid is 3.5.7, and KDE on Lenny is 3.5.5.

Beans

yep, sid has 3.5.7 for a couple of days now. Oh pobego sorry I missed the meeting it was my gf's bday on the 21st...I forgot to tell you..how was it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by plb View Post
    yep, sid has 3.5.7 for a couple of days now. Oh pobego sorry I missed the meeting it was my gf's bday on the 21st...I forgot to tell you..how was it?
    Nobody showed up but me, my friend Nick, and John. I think the next meeting is the 25th or 28th of next month, I forget. Just e-mail John and tell him to add you to the list, I'll e-mail you John's e-mail address.

Beans

The KDE cd is better because one can install a working install first then update.

Beans

i would keep 1 of each, i use the net installer most of the time. i run a lenny/sid system so there's always a chance something can go wrong, like the update today, so i use the installcd, xfce4 version in my case, to revert back should a update screw something. the installcd has the debs, which saves from having to download.

Beans

Talking Re: Debian KDE vs Net Install

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    i would keep 1 of each, i use the net installer most of the time. i run a lenny/sid system so there's always a chance something can go wrong, like the update today, so i use the installcd, xfce4 version in my case, to revert back should a update screw something. the installcd has the debs, which saves from having to download.
    good idea.