Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with ns-2

Beans

Help with ns-2

I live in southern Maryland. I'm trying to get ns-2 to run on UBUNTU for my dissertation. It's been a while since I've used UNIX or C++ and am struggling with it. I got it to install and verify successfully, but when I type 'ns' it looks like it is pointing to 'host'. When I type man ns, it seems like it gives me the info for host. host is not aliased with ns, and I can't figure out what to do short of re-installing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Help with ns-2

I'm not familiar with ns-2 so I can't help you there, but I recommend that you post this in the help section of the forums. You're much more likely to reach a wider audience and, hopefully, find a solution.

Beans

Thanks, I've posted it twice there and got no response. I'm not sure it's related to ns-2, but that the term 'ns' is somehow interpreted as 'host'. I get the same response from the terminal when I type either one. Is there another way that Linux binds user defined terms with system defined commands...like alias, only another way? I used to be very familiar with VMS and DOS both, but not with Linux. There has to be a script file that is executing on login/startup that associates ns with host, but I have no clue where to look.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by squared View Post
    Thanks, I've posted it twice there and got no response. I'm not sure it's related to ns-2, but that the term 'ns' is somehow interpreted as 'host'. I get the same response from the terminal when I type either one. Is there another way that Linux binds user defined terms with system defined commands...like alias, only another way? I used to be very familiar with VMS and DOS both, but not with Linux. There has to be a script file that is executing on login/startup that associates ns with host, but I have no clue where to look.
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean, but are you having trouble executing the program? If so, the current working directory is not generally included in PATH by default, so to execute a program or script, you have to include it, as in:

Code:
    ./ns
    But this will only work if the program you're trying to execute is in your present working directory. If it's somewhere else, you need to include the path to it.

Your problems with the manual may be the result of "ns" (nameserver) being considered a synonym for "host." That may explain why man brings up entries for host. I'm not on my Ubuntu machine right now so I can't test this. If you're looking for documentation specifically for ns-2, I would suggest trying:

Code:
    apropos ns-2
    Or you can check the website: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/

Beans

I have Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn OS loaded on my laptop and now I have installed ns2.31 (network simulator) using ns2allinone tar file from sourceforge.com, I have followed all the instructions given in it for installation. But when I try to run ns from the prompt it gives NameServer not responding message. kindly help me.

Pratidnya.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I saw this after a bit of Googling:
    http://www.dii.unimo.it/wiki/index.p...mulator_-_NS_2

Beans

Post Re: Help with ns-2

Hi ,
    I am doing project in ns2 simulator...
    Actually i have installed ns2 in Windows XP...
    How to make llinkage between C++ ie.,back end and OTCL ie., front end..
    How to define protocol in back end ..
    Can you give me some examples that uses both C++ and OTCl ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squared View Post
    I live in southern Maryland. I'm trying to get ns-2 to run on UBUNTU for my dissertation. It's been a while since I've used UNIX or C++ and am struggling with it. I got it to install and verify successfully, but when I type 'ns' it looks like it is pointing to 'host'. When I type man ns, it seems like it gives me the info for host. host is not aliased with ns, and I can't figure out what to do short of re-installing it.
    well i had experiances with the same problem for last 4 dayz now Alhumdulillah it is solved.. well wahat u have to do is ...
    when u get the message to install "udo apt-get install host" DONT DO THIS
    if u have already installed the host then u should remove it by using the command " sudo apt-get remove host"
    then u have to reinstall the NS by using comand "./install" in the curent directory of NS..
    plz do reply me if it works
    best of luck

Beans

Help with ns-2

Hi, I'm in malaysia, study at University Technology of Malaysia - new user ubuntu and also NS2, for my dissertation I will use NS2. I have install NS2 in ubuntu, but when i want to run NS2 with command $ ns, I cannot, because ns in ubuntu, command for name server, anybody can help me???
    tq

Beans

Smile Re: Help with ns-2

hi community, i have a similar problem with my ns2 on ubuntu 8.04.

I don't know what's the problem, i guess the path is ok, my message:

Usage: host [-v] [-a] [-t querytype] [options] name [server]
    Listing: host [-v] [-a] [-t querytype] [options] -l zone [server]
    Hostcount: host [-v] [options] -H [-D] [-E] [-G] zone
    Check soa: host [-v] [options] -C zone
    Addrcheck: host [-v] [options] -A host
    Listing options: [-L level] [-S] [-A] [-p] [-P prefserver] [-N skipzone]
    Common options: [-d] [-f|-F file] [-I chars] [-i|-n] [-q] [-Q] [-T] [-Z]
    Other options: [-c class] [-e] [-m] [-o] [-r] [-R] [-s secs] [-u] [-w]
    Special options: [-O srcaddr] [-j minport] [-J maxport]
    Extended usage: [-x [name ...]] server [name ...]]

I edit the path (bashrc) with the following lines: