Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 32-bit versus 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

32-bit versus 64-bit

I have used 64-bit AMD processors since 2004 and have toyed around with a few 64-bit systems, but the vastly superior support for 32-bit has kept me away from 64-bit in recent years. What are the advantages of a 64-bit system versus a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit chip?
    Don't work for my happiness, my brothers--show me yours--show me that it is possible--show me your achievement--and the knowledge will give me courage for mine.-- Ayn Rand

Beans

Re: 32-bit versus 64-bit

To be honest ,right now , not a lot . That may well change in time . But many in the Industry believe that 64bit will not reach prime time
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, I believe you are able to use alot more RAM I know for development, this might come in handy.
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

question is: what are the disadvantages for using 64bit on linux comapred to 32bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    question is: what are the disadvantages for using 64bit on linux comapred to 32bit?
    None, well there's java in browser but there's a workaround (which can be found on our 64-bit forum). But I have heard that when sun Java 1.7 comes out it will be 64-bit compatible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a Dell 1420N Inspiron that I bought preinstalled with Ubuntu last year. Turns out it was with the 32 bit version even though it has a 64 bit processor. I did a fresh install with 64 bit 8.10 and most of the stuff worked fine but the Wireless didn't. I like to do stuff with Gimp and the 64 bit version ran at warp speed compared with the 32 bit version.

Kept trying to get the wireless to work only to find out you have to use the Ndiswrapper. I went back to the 32 bit version. I figure a native 64 bit driver for the wireless will happen one of these days and I'll go back to 64 bit when that happens as part of my six month fresh install cycle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ibex uses newer kernels and I think has also a lot more wifi drivers in there. You might want to download the 64bit Ibex Beta and see if your wifi runs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Running Hardy 8.04.1 I've just moved over from 32-bit to 64-bit and so far I'm very pleased.

I've got a wired connection, so wifi isn't an issue. I grabbed all the restricted extras plus Medibuntu lidvdcss & W32 codecs and followed the instructions on the x86 64-bit users page to get Flash and Java. Graphics were from the automated restricted drivers tool, for a GeForce 7300GT

So far, everything works! And the basic selection of apps + VLC all worked straight off without any tweaking

And, better yet, it runs just a little bit faster in all applications. Web pages on FF3 load quicker, which surprised me. I don't do any really big-ticket stuff like video editing, but even at my modest level, I really appreciate the extra snap & slickness.

I'm slightly holding my breath to see what breaks first, but at the moment it's definitely been worth the change...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

try to convert a dvd-->avi... you'll notice a lot of speed improvement there

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well, using 64 bit since hardy (both on my home cinema, servers and my laptop) and I'm very happy.

I have yet to come across anything that won't work with 64 bit but does with 32 bits. I think 64 bit support in Linux is very mature at this stage.

(And yes, I use Wine, Flash, Java, Video (codecs), dev environments, 32 bit software, many different tools, etc...)

Cheers,
    Benedikt Bär - www.relamp.tk
    WARNING: Some commands can be harmful when executed, especially the ones starting with "rm". If you are in doubt what a certain command will do, please ask other members first before executing!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast