View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 952 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: Why I Give Up On Linux......or "what needs to be fixed"

Quote Originally Posted by jkeck55
    I just wish I could find a No OS computer that competes with Dell on price. Even though when I buy a new computer I won't be using windows I hate to give MS money for something I have no intention of ussing. Sorry for the long winded post but I just wanted to say everyone that has trouble doesn't give up.
    You can build your own computer, with parts that you know work with OSS. It's not that hard, it's cheap to do, and you can put as much quality into it as you want. Check out sites like www.tigerdirect.com etc.

Edit: If you're Canadian, like me, I recommend NCIX.com. newegg.com doesn't cater to Canadians.
    Last edited by Paperweight; March 30th, 2005 at 06:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Why I Give Up On Linux......or "what needs to be fixed"

Quote Originally Posted by Paperweight
    You can build your own computer, with parts that you know work with OSS. It's not that hard, it's cheap to do, and you can put as much quality into it as you want. Check out sites like www.tigerdirect.com etc.

Generally I use http://newegg.com for all computer related purchases and do a bit of googling to make sure a few people have gotten everything working with a 2.6 kernel.

Beans

How to make ubuntu easier to use for people with little computer knowledge

Hello,

About a month ago I moved over to using linux instead of xp. I used to use the SLS distro back in '93 but hadn't touched linux in about 12 years and was getting sick of xp virus problems, etc. My first re-attempt at linux was on Mandrake to which I was extremely disappointed. I was expecting the system to have moved away from the necessity of having to use the command line and be really user friendly. It wasn't, neither for that matter has ubuntu but by the time I got to ubuntu I was kind of enjoying messing around with they system and apt-get solved many of the rpm problems I had.

So getting to the point, I still don't think ubuntu is user friendly enough for my girlfriend or mom to setup on their computers. Anybody have an opinion on this matter (whether in or not in agreement with me). Either way I'm on ubuntu to stay but within the theme of providing a great system for all mankind I think usability is an area to continue working on.

With that said though, ubuntu rocks!

Aaron

Beans

Re: How to make ubuntu easier to use for people with little computer knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by aburda
    So getting to the point, I still don't think ubuntu is user friendly enough for my girlfriend or mom to setup on their computers. Anybody have an opinion on this matter (whether in or not in agreement with me). Either way I'm on ubuntu to stay but within the theme of providing a great system for all mankind I think usability is an area to continue working on.
    Well, I set up Ubuntu just fine, and I'm a girl. (i.e. Gender has nothing to do with who can or cannot use Linux)
    And my mom would use it if I just installed it for her and showed her where her browser/email/etc was...

Most of the people I know could use Ubuntu just fine with some "HERE IS YOUR INTERNET" type of things... and some hand holding while they got used to it.

It's no longer a matter of user friendliness anymore, Ubuntu is friendlier than windows will ever be now - it's a matter of choosing to switch and then accepting that it doesn't work exactly the same. There is momentum behind windows... that is all now.

Once I tell my mom that, she's cool... and she adapts.
    Last edited by kassetra; April 11th, 2005 at 12:22 AM. Reason: clarity
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you mean that it is complicated to drop down to the command line to fix something, or that everything is just difficult because of the way it is organized?

Beans

My mom cant even use windows XP so there is no hope for some ! (Sorry Mom :blush: )
    I think anyone can use Ubuntu as kassetra said. All you gotta do is set it up for them and say click here for your mail etc.
    It can however become a bit of a mission when you want to upgrade your graphics card etc. Then you need to invest a bit of time and you should be able to do just about anything !

Beans

Well, i'm a linux novice and find ubuntu easy to use. however, I do think more people might move more easily to Ubuntu if the offering of internet applications were more compatible with Windows. Specifically, I cannot find a usenet client in the Internet applications section. Since Firefox is available in Windows, using it was easy here. But i was expecting to also find Thunderbird for both email and usenet. The Evolution email does not seem to support usenet, so that seems a gap. I'm sure the developers are aware of this, but if there is a solution for usenet on the live CD, I can't find it. otherwise, I like the ease of use and the portability of the live CD.
    david

Beans

Uh-oh.... it happened again. Once I post somewhere that I don't know how to do something, I then look "one more time" and discover the solution. Sure enough, Evolution supports usenet, but I had not discovered that in several weeks of occasional use. My earlier comment still holds, however. Getting people to switch to Ubuntu will be easier if they see client applications with which they're already familiar...
    david

Beans

So getting to the point, I still don't think ubuntu is user friendly enough for my girlfriend or mom to setup on their computers. Anybody have an opinion on this matter (whether in or not in agreement with me).
    I think about this a lot. I'm glad Ubuntu doesn't aim at the lowest common denominator. There are two classes of people when it comes to computers- ones that think that they are fun, and those that just want them as tools.

You (and most Ubuntuers) enjoy working with computers. -

I was kind of enjoying messing around with they system
    I'm like that too. Every person that actually follows this forum (instead of just using it for support) is like that. Its fun to be a little nerdy. Ubuntu is a great system for that. Its flexible and it doesn't get in the way of your learning curve. Before Ubuntu, command line= Dos floppies to me but now it means POWER!!!!

I've seen a distro that tries to be for the other kind of computer user- Xandros. By default it works well, and my mom could probably install it (honestly she could intall Ubuntu but she couldn't get it to be fully capable, thats what I mean). But it SUCKS for me. Its gets in my way, it won't let me fiddle with things. It assumes I'm an idiot. I hate it. If Ubuntu was like Xandros I'd would install Gentoo and run away. But its not and we love it for that.

Its not suprising Ubuntu is the way it is. Think about it- the founder is simply a millionare that likes to play with computers. If I had a few million I would make my own Distro as well for the fun of it (well, maybe not, Ubuntu is better than I could do). Mark likes playing with computers, and he has made the best OS every for people that like to do that. LETS KEEP UBUNTU LIKE THAT. Let the commercial distros (Madrake, Xandros, SuSe) aim for that person that only wants to use the computer as a tool. Let them make the buggy, crappy GUI config apps that those users demand. Let them lock down their distros, lets keep Ubuntu free.

Thats no to say that the other type of people can't enjoy Ubuntu. I will always maintain that an Ubuntu box that a competent nerd sets up will run better than a similar XP box. My own experiance proves that. But that means doing the install, getting all of the codecs that aren't free but people demand, getting P2P apps or CD burning apps or whatever. Basically following the Ubuntu Guide and a few Howtos here. For one type of computer user that is fun, for another type it is a pain in the ass. Every single poster that has come here just to bitch about Ubuntu not having things on the default (mp3 support or whatever) is one of those people that only wants the computer to be a tool. To them I say, either suck it up or enjoy your Xandros....

I mean, even XP (actually, especially XP) is more like Ubuntu than Xandros. Installing it isn't easy, and after the install you have to do a lot of things to get everything to work well (install codecs, install antivirus, install dvd software, install antispyware software, etc.) The reason that XP works for so many people is because they pay a big nerd company (such as Dell, HP, Emachines, etc.) to set everything up for them. They pay the Dells of the world to do what I do for friends when I install Ubuntu for them-turn XP into a tool. Yet this approach fails- just look at all the zombie XP machines out there. Almost every person I know that has a computer has spyware on it when I check, and lots of the time they don't know what that is. Companies like AOL prey on these computer users (by implying things like "viruses are the reasons for all your problems" even though malware is worse nowadays) and we benefit from them buying that Dell only to let it rot because our hardware costs are cheaper. I remember the time before the other types of computer users bought computer and only nerds did. In 1989 my dad's new 386 costs $5000. For that today I can buy two top of the line PCs.

Ubuntu shouldn't cater to these people, except maybe when planning out security protocols. Now, if some business people want to step in an act like Dell and sell set up Ubuntu PCs, more power to him/her. But don't ruin Ubuntu for those that like to tinker.

A jack of all trades is excellent at nothing...
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Smile Re: How to make ubuntu easier to use for people with little computer knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    I
    Ubuntu shouldn't cater to these people, except maybe when planning out security protocols. Now, if some business people want to step in an act like Dell and sell set up Ubuntu PCs, more power to him/her. But don't ruin Ubuntu for those that like to tinker.

A jack of all trades is excellent at nothing...
    I have to say that I agree with poofyhairguy here, but then again I like to tinker. One of the advantages of linux is that it gives the user the oppotunity to get their hands dirty by tinkering with the system. I feel that this would be a terrible oppounity to waste.
    Last edited by Raven-sb; April 11th, 2005 at 12:39 AM.

Page 11 of 952 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast