View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 207 of 952 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307707 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: Ubuntu is NOT READY for Edgy anything!

@frodon
    True, but the hardware/driver support could be much better on the linux dist side, or not?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by yopnono
    @frodon
    True, but the hardware/driver support could be much better on the linux dist side, or not?
    I think he might have a point. Dapper has very serious issues like printing or folder sharing, and having them in a system that is supposed to last three whole years is unsettling to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

no problems whatsoever here.. runs 100x better then windows does, starts up a hell of alot quicker.. windows seems to take forever to load everything in the system tray.. even with a 3.0ghz and 2gigs of ram

printing was a bit of a bummer to get going, but i finally figured it out (not an ubuntu problem, just something ive never done before) wireless works fine also, using wpa security by wpa_supplicant

no crashes, no lock ups, no nothing.. workin good on my end for being a non finished product

also, what folder sharing problems have you had? mine works great

Beans

- Random hard system freezes: ???? I don't know why, I get no error or log messages that might help me find out, but all I can suspect is that since they are kind of recent (and ONLY happen in Dapper), it might be the NDISwrapper that is controlling my wireless USB dongle.
    Well, what do expect from an unstable developement OS. Dapper was alpha still a few weeks ago! It's like downloading the Windows Vista beta and saying windows in general is a pos because that is not working..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by joshrobinson
    printing was a bit of a bummer to get going, but i finally figured it out (not an ubuntu problem, just something ive never done before)
    I meant simple tasks like double-side or multipage printing, or printing several documents at a time. Which Windows offers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bou
    I meant simple tasks like double-side or multipage printing, or printing several documents at a time. Which Windows offers.
    And Linux does too.
    You can do all this if you use kprint, or if you are using Gnome you can do this by simply using gtklp.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by helpme
    And Linux does too.
    You can do all this if you use kprint, or if you are using Gnome you can do this by simply using gtklp.
    I know. You shouldn't even have to do that. I can look for a program which does what I need -even if it's a basic task-, people working at an office won't.

That stuff should be ready out of the box, it's so basic it's ridiculous.

Beans

I know.
    If you know, then don't make false claims please.

You shouldn't even have to do that. I can look for a program which does what I need -even if it's a basic task-, people working at an office won't.

That stuff should be ready out of the box, it's so basic it's ridiculous.
    I don't think there's anyone who disagrees that the gnome print dialogue needs improvement and guess what, it' currently worked on.
    However, your office example isn't really valid as those computers are normally managed by an admin, not normal users and the admin should certainly know what the hell he's doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Some of my printer experiences with dapper

- I have been able to print using my espon D88
    - It was auto detected when i went to add a printer.
    -It has decent config options in the gnome print dialog. I have been able to print high quality 5x7 photos on 5x7 glossy photo paper and it looks fab.

No problems yet. It has been a simple "just works" for me. I do not think that dapper will be a "just works" for everyone. There are issues with printers and there are wireless issues.

However further down the line the "portland" project and the new wireless project (cannot remember the name) will make this issues mostly disapear.

But for 50%+ of the cases dapper may just work. Another 20% might need fiddling and the rest just wont work. But ubuntu is the first dist I have used that the rate of change is constant and inevitable. And does not suffer from the two steps forward one step back.

Pablo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by frodon
    2- You shouldn't blame any linux distribution if you don't take the time before buying a computer to see if your hardware is compatible. Each person who takes 1 or 2h of search before buying a new hardware will never have problems.
    So if you didn't spend this time don't blame anybody if your hardware need some tweaks to work.
    I disagree heavilly on this one, i had issue's with an Asus motherboard that was reported to work in linux on various sites, and it did work, except for AGPGART support.... (BTW, my offer to ship the board to a dev is still valid)...

The simple fact is that, untill manufacturers open up their docs and actively start working on drivers themselves, we'll be boned

Page 207 of 952 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307707 ... LastLast