View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 101 of 952 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: Linux is NOT ready for the desktop!!! Sorry folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Madpilot
    There's also a perfectly functional word processor included with Ubuntu - OOo2 Write
    I really tried to like OOo2 Write.
    But it lacks a number of pretty basic features a decent word processor needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    Dr. E, sorry but I think the title of your thread is not appropriate.

You should say "Ubuntu" is not ready for the desktop instead (and I'll respect your opinion although I disagree).

Anyhow it would be even more appropriate to say that Ubuntu is not for you or your hardware. I think you shouldn't generalise.
    Yes, I've already been told that the fact that my Linux printer definitions don't work and I can't get my Linux WP to run means I am an inherently selfish person. A quick look at this forum, however, reveals myriads of people who can't get Ubuntu to work with their hardware or software either, at least not without investing a lot of time, effort, and obtaining help from this forum. While Ubuntu may be ready for some people's desktops, there seem to be many whose desktops it's still not ready for. I feel it is unfortunate and hope that in the future a distro comes out that is ready for Joe average's desktop. (I'm not a Windows fan either.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by ninotob
    Corel's wordperfect 2000 for linux actually ran under wine. Which may explain why it's such a bear to install and get working.
    I'm trying to install version 8 which is a native Linux program unlike the 2000 version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. E
    Yes, I've already been told that the fact that my Linux printer definitions don't work and I can't get my Linux WP to run means I am an inherently selfish person. A quick look at this forum, however, reveals myriads of people who can't get Ubuntu to work with their hardware or software either, at least not without investing a lot of time, effort, and obtaining help from this forum. While Ubuntu may be ready for some people's desktops, there seem to be many whose desktops it's still not ready for. I feel it is unfortunate and hope that in the future a distro comes out that is ready for Joe average's desktop. (I'm not a Windows fan either.)
    I wouldn't call you selfish (mine wasn't a real attack) and I agree with what you've just said. I hope Ubuntu improves too. And above all I hope always more hardware producers will support (also) Linux so that devices such as your printer, etc. will have drivers for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

If you think linux is not ready for the desktop, sorry, but you arnt ready for the desktop.

Its alright not to like linux. Its alright to like windows. Its not alright to say that because it doesent work for you that it doesent work for anyone else.

If you had any idea how hard it was for me to get my printer set up on windows, youd be amazed...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Works just fine on my desktop. It does require some work here and there. A little work never hurt anyone. Good Luck!

Beans

Linux is or is not ready for the desktop depending on the individual, their needs, their hardware, and how much time they want to put into learning something new.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Cool Re: Linux is NOT ready for the desktop!!! Sorry folks.

I am really tired of broad swooping statemensts like "Linux is NOT ready for the desktop!!", just because a user could not get X hardware working or Y proprietary software to work.

While it's true that Ubuntu, one Linux Distro, did not work out for this one particular user's desktop, does not mean that all Linux distros are NOT ready for every individual's desktop.

I can say beyond any shadow of a doubt that Linux is ready for MY desktop, and has been for upwards of 4 years now. For ME, it works soooooo much better than Windows. But that's MY experience, and many other people's experience. And Linux is not going to be ready for everyone's desktop. Microsoft enjoys market dominance, and can rely on all hardware manufacturers and software vendors to target their platform. Nevertheless, I strongly believe that Linux has and will work out for most people's desktops, and that the percentage of people's desktops it works out for is steadily increasing, as Distros get more refined and easy to use, and as 3rd party vendors target Linux more.

While I can certainly empathize with Dr. E's frustrations, I find his making a broad, swooping statement like "Linux is NOT ready for the desktop!!!" to be patently unfair. It's especially bad considering people bent over backwards on this forum to try to help him, and these are people doing it unpaid, in their own free time, out of kindness and the desire to help fellow Linux/Ubuntu users. So does Dr. E thank them for their efforts? No, at least not in this thread. Instead he insults them by basically saying their favorite software sucks because it did not work out for him.

The bottom line is that, due to market reality (Windows dominance), Linux won't work out for everyone. And the few it does not work out for, quite often they'll come into formus such as these and blow off steam, and make insulting remarks in their frustration. It's something that the (ever growing number of ) Linux enthusiasts have to get used to. But it gets old nonetheless.

So, Dr E (if you are still reading this thread), please try to restrain the broad swooping statements. Do realize that people really tried to help you, and they did not have to help you, or were obligated to help you, and they did it out of kindness. Also realize that just because you had problems, does not mean that Linux does not work for anyone.

And realize that just because there are plenty of threads in the forums that address various hardware or software compatibility problems, does not mean that it's a huge problem with Linux. Windows and Mac have the same types of issues - people try to get support on those products all the time.

Also try some of the other suggestions (use Wine to run WP for Windows, try another distro, try a different printer).

Thank you, and good luck.
    "What if there were no hypothetical questions?" - George Carlin

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For me it was easier to set up Windows (SMB) network access on Linux then on Windows. It depends on the induvidual, hardware, and other things. I use Linux for almost everything, but I still use Windows to produce music.
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS
    While I can certainly empathize with Dr. E's frustrations, I find his making a broad, swooping statement like "Linux is NOT ready for the desktop!!!" to be patently unfair. It's especially bad considering people bent over backwards on this forum to try to help him, and these are people doing it unpaid, in their own free time, out of kindness and the desire to help fellow Linux/Ubuntu users. So does Dr. E thank them for their efforts? No, at least not in this thread.
    Actually I did thank people for their help in my first posting. I said "and people on Ubuntu Forums were very helpful."

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS
    Instead he insults them by basically saying their favorite software sucks because it did not work out for him.
    I find it hard to believe that my problems with a series of 0s and 1s that make up Ubuntu have been taken to be personal insults to the users themselves. No such thing was intended. Yes, people have been very helpful, the software hasn't in my case.

Page 101 of 952 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201601 ... LastLast