View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 346 of 952 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346347348356396446846 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,460 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Things that frustrate me in Ubuntu. Why I'll buy VISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Subnet View Post
    Have fun trying out new viruses and spending money, while us Linux users will have fun playing with new technology
    ammmm... yesterday my computer crashed because i downloaded the latest oficial X update. But that is not the problem. The problem is that instead of prompt me to a simple graphic interface and offer me a end user solution (eg. xorg have crashed with the latest update. ubuntu recomend to downgraded. Do you wish to downgrad it now?) it just give me a list full of shi*t that i dont care about. All that i cared that morning was to work on my pc. and i was unable to work with my computer and send faxes and email my clients that morning.
    Of course this forum is full of nerds who are unable to understand the simple end user who are the bulk of computer users in the world.

So sure play with all cutting edge technology when you are unable to offer a incredible stupid and simple solution when X crash. It remind me of my old windows 98 back in the day.
    Last edited by ThirdWorld; August 24th, 2006 at 01:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWorld View Post
    It remind me of my old windows 98 back in the day.
    It remind me of mistake.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    nah, i won't use microsoft again until MEse comes out.
    I'd go for an ME-se-Xp-SP2-Beta-Pro

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bfakefree View Post
    I agree with 23Meg, but the attitude must change, you guys don't realize that the public want
    The public does not matter.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

Originally posted by Stormy Eyes
    The public does not matter.
    Agreed. If Joe Six Pack doesn't like Ubuntu he can make his own OS out of beer cans or something.
    - Captain John Yossarian

Speak frankly, speak in French.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The public doesn't matter to Yossarian or Stormy Eyes, but if Mark Shuttleworth isn't talking out his ***, the public matters to him.

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/1

Beans

Originaly posted by aysiu
    The public doesn't matter to Yossarian or Stormy Eyes, but if Mark Shuttleworth isn't talking out his ***, the public matters to him.
    Mr. Shuttleworth is a rich man, and needs something to do besides swimming in his money vault.

You're right, I mostly don't give a damn what people do with their computer. However, I know you do, so I'll refrain for polluting your thread any more.

I posted cause I thought my beer can comment was funny, although in retrospect it isn't. It's pretty dumb. Must be the alcohol. Ahh, the wrath of grapes.
    - Captain John Yossarian

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    However, I know you do, so I'll refrain for polluting your thread any more.
    God forbid this should be "my" thread, and you're not polluting it at all--you expressed your opinion. I just amended your statement with my own.

Beans

Originally posted by aysiu
    God forbid this should be "my" thread, and you're not polluting it at all--you expressed your opinion. I just amended your statement with my own.
    OK, head's on straight now, so let's take another crack at this. As for it being your thread, I thought you were the OP for some reason. I realize now this is not the case.

Back on topic: making Ubuntu ready for the public. I have no strong feelings on the subject, myself. I object to the armchair marketing and business experts, plotting the Linux revolution while drinking absinth in an Internet Cafe. Nothing ever comes of these masturbation threads, which is why I was planning on pulling out. Not because I thought you had made fun of my opinion.

Also, the ridiculous way in which we let these "Dear John, I'm going back to Windows" threads push our buttons. The endless hand-wringing is pointless.

Anyways, as I said, some care about this ****. I don't. I'll let the above be my coda, and wish you all a merry thread.
    - Captain John Yossarian

Beans

Linux for human beings?

Greetings all...

Yesterday I had the bright idea of installing Ubuntu Linux on my machine and set up clearing an entire 10 GB partition for this purpose. Once I did that I went through the installation process - which was quite simple by the way; the age old notion about Linux being very tough to install was blown away - and I booted into my new OS. I've used Ubuntu through the Live CD so I was quite familiar with where to go and what to do.

It was at this point that I hit upon a few snags and I am writing this in the hope that some of you tech geeks might be able to help. Here are my problems thus far:

1. Windows partitions are not shown. I've been told to 'mount' these partitions, but I have no idea what that means and how to best get about such a task.

2. DVD is not being played. I inserted my RHCP concert DVD hoping to see how the built -in DVD player handles DVDs and I was told that it couldn't read it. I can , using the Explorer read the file structure of the DVD. No playback. Thinking it was just that disc, I inserted my Fawlty Towers DVD one at a time. Not only was there no playback, this time I couldn't read the file structure either. On one occasion, the DVD wouldn't even eject until I restarted the PC.

3. I have a Prolink Hurricane 8000 modem that I purchased at a Sri Lanka Telecom (SLT) Teleshop when applying for an ADSL connection. I've been told that there are third-party drivers created for this particular modem and I found one here. I downloaded it and tried installing it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how. Anyone with prior experience with installing the said modem on Ubuntu?

4. My monitor is capable of handling resolutions of up to 1280*1024 while on Windows mode. In Ubuntu, I can't go beyond 1024*768.

I am urgently in need of help here so any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Additional system information: I am using Ubuntu 5.10 on a P III 800 MHz PC with 256MB RAM. The Windows OS that I am dual-booting with Ubuntu is Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.

Page 346 of 952 FirstFirst ... 246296336344345346347348356396446846 ... LastLast