View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 619 of 952 FirstFirst ... 119519569609617618619620621629669719 ... LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,190 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: The Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FLPCGuy View Post
    Sounds like a corrupted XP boot file (NTLOADER, etc.). Run the XP disk and select R)epair with no repair diskette. At the command prompt type fixboot. That should replace the boot files and solve your problem. If it doesn't, remove the read only attribute on boot.ini [attrib -R \boot.ini], reboot and from Windows use Notepad to verify the correct parameters in the bootup command. For example, [drive and partition numbers vary]
    [boot loader]
    timeout=8
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="...XP Pro" /fastdetect

Be careful, if you run FIXMBR you will have to reinstall GRUB on the master boot record to run anything but *******.
    Yeah...I boot into windows about once a month, if that. I hadn't booted into windows for over 6 months until last night, where I found my little notepad note to try to fix that error...not a priority..

Beans

Then please don't use linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Not perfect, just extremely rare boot failures (maximum of once or twice per year). I only expect this because I've experienced it myself throughout most of my computing life.

I don't know if I am alone on this, but maybe Mateo should just stay away from Linux till its ready, He has the magic ability to break things in ways none of us can.
    Last edited by cantormath; February 24th, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What can you suggest to make using Ubuntu easier for the Absolute Beginner?

To make using Ubuntu easier, there are two parties who need to adapt. The first is the usability the Operating System, while the second is the user.

Absolute Beginners need to do their job, but that is not the point that we have to concentrate on. We can never do their job for them. All we can do are all we can do.

I believe that Windows and Mac OS are more attractive to Absolute Beginners with computers. For some reason, that is the way it is. I hope Ubuntu would be more attractive to them one day.

As a part of the Ubuntu Community, what can each one of us do to make Ubuntu more usable for everyone, most especially for the Absolute Beginner?
    MacBook Air 3,1 128gb | Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 | Google Nexus One

Pinoy ka ba? | Google Profile | Twitter: @AllanCaeg| Identi.ca: allancaeg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: What can you suggest to make using Ubuntu easier for the Absolute Beginner?

ubuntu or for matter of facts all linux have a very good community support.
    But for a absolute beginner it is hard to find right place for their queries.
    I think if somehow the help sites (like forum,unofficial faq,official document)can be more more visible at the time of first install will be very useful.
    ubuntu can make a icon for these links on desktop at default install
    afterwards people will find their way by themselves
    India of ages in not dead, nor has She spoken her last creative word; She lives and will stand up.
    Registered linux user : 425756

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well as an "absolute computer beginner" about 11 months ago and an Ubuntu beginner only some 7 months ago now all i can say is "how easy does it need to be"????It`s only hard if you dont know the answer and you aint willing to go find it out somehow!

Windows is supposed to be the most easy thing in the world for any new computer user to get to grips with and it comes pre-installed for most.But you tell that to practically any of the Windows using folks i know.They`ve had computers for years in some cases and still dont know how to do the most basic of things....the things that really need to be done that is.
    Prior to my new found interest in the things they used to just buy new pc`s when the current ones became unusable.

Personally i reckon Ubuntu would only be a bit easier for us "normal" users if it came installed somehow just as Windows is BUT even if it did.... if people aint going to take a little bit of time to at least learn the basics of their Distos/OS`s then they`d be as well selling the bloody pc`s and saving themselves the hassle.......and cost.

I was`nt afraid to ask a lot stupid "seeming" questions to start out and i did one hell of a lot of reading .......and that was just with Windows, before i even found Ubuntu

I might not have started out interested in OS`s and Distro`s(WTF did that mean back then?)but i did start out at least wanting to know the basics of how these boxes of wires worked, for no other reason really than keeping my kids safe as they began their computing lifes....and of course i needed to know how to keep the computers safe from them...ok. and moi.

I`ll never know half the s**t some of you`se guys do but at least i know the difference between a DLL and a LOL now
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

For an absolute Beginner I suggest connecting to the irc server irc.freenode.net and joining #ubuntu, #bash, and #linux.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyiacxtIzYk
    tr -d wokj <<<'<j3 obkjaowsoh <k3'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

the only reason people find ubuntu hard is because they have gotten used to windows. if someone who has never used a computer before learns on ubuntu then they will find windows hard as well (assuming that they only learned how to do basic things and didn't pick up on how the things actually work.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am of the opinion that too many Windows users only think Windows is easy to use, but they are simply deluding themselves.

Sure they know where to click, and how to do this or that; but unknown to them, their PC is one or more of below:
    1. part of a zombie army spewing email spams
    2. spyware/virus infested, leaking their personal information to some websites
    3. wasting a huge percentage of clock cycles running antivirus program

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wersdaluv View Post
    I believe that Windows and Mac OS are more attractive to Absolute Beginners with computers. For some reason, that is the way it is. I hope Ubuntu would be more attractive to them one day.

As a part of the Ubuntu Community, what can each one of us do to make Ubuntu more usable for everyone, most especially for the Absolute Beginner?
    While I like the positive spin you're putting on it ("What can we do to improve?" as opposed to "Ubuntu sucks!"), this ultimately will become a Linux-ready-for-the-desktop thread, especially with your assertion that Windows and Mac are more attractive to Absolute Beginners--which will lead to discussions about preinstallation and market forces.

Anyone genuinely interested in doing her part to make Ubuntu better, should just follow some of the suggestions in this thread. I'll even sum it up for you here: file bug reports, contribute code, donate money, write documentation. You can also maintain packages, create artwork, do professional marketing, and install and configure Ubuntu for friends and schools/organizations.

Otherwise, you can discuss to your heart's content here.
    Last edited by aysiu; February 24th, 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This is my first post so I feel somewhat qualified to answer this question.

My ubuntu installation on my ThinkPad was completely painless and I have not had any problems since (Friday morning.)

BUT

I think the single biggest obstacle to ubuntu on the average user's desktop is installing programs. There needs to be a standard way (at least on ubuntu) to install software: double-click install icon, install runs, install finishes, click finish, run new program.

That's my .02.

Anyway, glad to be finally on the ubuntu "team" and I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing in the future.

Page 619 of 952 FirstFirst ... 119519569609617618619620621629669719 ... LastLast