View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 952 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Hi,

I define an average-desktop-user as :

users who have never worked with a computer
    users who have only worked with windows XP
    users who just want it to work

with ready I mean :
    -easy
    -works out-of-the-box
    -has big benefits for end-users above windows XP

I would like to see a discussion about

-what features ubuntu misses (if any).
    -the feasibility of converting the average-desktop-users to ubuntu
    Last edited by aysiu; December 20th, 2006 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Attaching image of original poll.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: ubuntu ready for end-users?

My opinion :

yes hoary will be ready but requires installation,configuration and intro by nerd

I will install mplayer,xmss,firestarter and thunderbird for them. And do a daily :

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade -t hoary-security -y
    apt-get upgrade --trivial-only
    apt-get auto-clean

I will give a short introduction and explain how to install software.

I would like to create an custom-hoary-cd when it reaches stable for this purpose.

what features ubuntu misses (if any). :

-warty misses firefox 1.0, thunderbird 1.0 (I hope it will make it into hoary)
    -warty misses some "polish" like X.org with neat theme
    -warty misses nice graphical configuration tools and wizards (like boot configuration tool)

-hoary most likely will miss : beagle, dashboard, a killer-app

-ubuntu misses real MS office compatibilty (microsofts fault)

the feasibility of converting the average-desktop-users to ubuntu (when I've created my custom hoary-cd):

-if people come to me with computer( read windows) problems I will recommend ubunt
    -I will recommend ubuntu to my friends

Let's try to convert them before longhorn
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; December 3rd, 2004 at 02:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Maybe Ubuntu should look for features that mac OS X offers and Ubuntu does not and focus some time to tightly integrate them into ubuntu.

I don't use OS X so I don't know if there are much of such features. Please post them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

At least on of the following features should be in ubuntu repo in the future :

audio converstation+webcam support for gaim
    audio converstation+webcam support for amsn
    gnome meeting support for msn

Come on IM developers your software would rock even more if it would have these features.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: ubuntu ready for end-users?

Other: Until Linux gets to the point where when you buy a printer (or other piece of hardware) and along with having Win and Mac drivers it will also have a Linux driver no version of Linux will be ready completely ready for an end-user. I predict this will start happening when I think Linux will start hitting the mainstream in 8-10 years...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    Other: Until Linux gets to the point where when you buy a printer (or other piece of hardware) and along with having Win and Mac drivers it will also have a Linux driver no version of Linux will be ready completely ready for an end-user. I predict this will start happening when I think Linux will start hitting the mainstream in 8-10 years...
    whooo that long huh? i think in a few years. gnu/linux is rapidly approaching the mac user base in numbers, will only be a matter of time.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

"yes warty will be ready but requires installation,configuration and intro by nerd"

If it is configured for them, I think the average person can maintain and use an Ubuntu system. This assumes you teach them how to and the value of using synaptic to update their system.

If they go out and buy printer, they should learn to look in printer configuration to make sure they have drivers for it. Manufacturers aren't going to magically suddenly start providing cups drivers on their install CD's any time soon.

This does not mean Linux, or specifically Ubuntu isn't ready for the desktop. It means the lowest common denominator who is unable to check hardware compatibility might have problems. Even then there is paid support for this OS.

This generation of computer users is a bit smarter than their parents. I have faith that the security issues with Windows XP, and the ones that will be created with the new features in Longhorn will cause quite a few users to come our way.

The ones that adapt will stay. If they cannot they will rot in Windows world. I cannot stress enough though, that gaining Windows users is not worth becoming Windows like to the point that users who like a real Linux desktop will look to other desktop environments and distros.

The average Windows using, webshots using, download.com free Christmas wallpaper/screensaver user isn't even going to file bug reports. While we want them to use the OS, catering to them to the point where Linux users are pushed to more configurable/powerful distros and desktop environments would be folly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

"yes warty will be ready but requires installation,configuration and intro by nerd"

If it is configured for them, I think the average person can maintain and use an Ubuntu system. This assumes you teach them how to and the value of using synaptic to update their system.
    agreed. But I think a lot of average-desktop-users want nice graphical configuration tools and wizards among other things. Also we need a killer-app. Maybe beagle and dashboard in hoary ?

If they go out and buy printer, they should learn to look in printer configuration to make sure they have drivers for it. Manufacturers aren't going to magically suddenly start providing cups drivers on their install CD's any time soon.

This does not mean Linux, or specifically Ubuntu isn't ready for the desktop. It means the lowest common denominator who is unable to check hardware compatibility might have problems. Even then there is paid support for this OS.
    There should be stickers with "linux certified : compatible with kernel 2.x and linux distribution y" on hardware boxes. Maybe a linux certified website where everyone can easily see if the hardware he wants to buy is compatible with kernel 2.x and linux distribution y. Or something like this.

This generation of computer users is a bit smarter than their parents. I have faith that the security issues with Windows XP, and the ones that will be created with the new features in Longhorn will cause quite a few users to come our way.

The ones that adapt will stay. If they cannot they will rot in Windows world. I cannot stress enough though, that gaining Windows users is not worth becoming Windows like to the point that users who like a real Linux desktop will look to other desktop environments and distros.

The average Windows using, webshots using, download.com free Christmas wallpaper/screensaver user isn't even going to file bug reports. While we want them to use the OS, catering to them to the point where Linux users are pushed to more configurable/powerful distros and desktop environments would be folly.
    agreed. Just take the best features from the popular operating systems that are around.

I don't think Longhorn is going to be more insecure than windows XP but I do think users will have less privacy and have to trust a big commercial corporation that has a monopoly position.

Beans
    Hidden!

about the linux certified hardware website:
    http://hardware.linuxfaqs.de/

There are many more like this site.

Beans

Talking Re: ubuntu ready for end-users?

Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    about the linux certified hardware website:
    http://hardware.linuxfaqs.de/

There are many more like this site.
    THANKS A BUNCH! This will really save alot of headaches when I get my new computer ...

Page 1 of 952 1231151101501 ... LastLast