View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 950 of 952 FirstFirst ... 450850900940948949950951952 LastLast
Results 9,491 to 9,500 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mclavey View Post
    ready for the desktop .... to me means that it can run the 5 or 6 application that everyone can't get along without. like :

~software that comunitates with a special hardeware ie: gps , a scale , hearing aid programing hardeware, automotive interface hardeware,

~out of the box games.

All of the above are "windows" apps.

RUN WINDOWS APPS. AND EVERONE WILL COME TO USE IT. "WINE" IS THE ANSWER.

MAKE WINE WORK !!!!!
    not too bad a theory there

Quote Originally Posted by bunorama View Post
    The KDE System monitor memory column is too small for a 6 digit number.

So EVERY TIME I OPEN system monitor, I have to adjust the column.

Fail.

I suppose I should post this on a feature request form. I dunno where these devs come from but I suspect they are not actually using the tools they create.

Tip: Press control-escape for system monitor.
    you are currently redefining the word trivial. lol
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've had an interest in UNIX from 20 years ago, the last time I tried *nix, would be 10 years ago, with knoppix ... here I am with ubuntu 9.04 ....
    In that time, MS have had some screaming blunders in their O/S's..
    My brother uses an MS (Dell) computer - His main complaints are

• AntiVirus / Mal ware scans have to be done weekly
    • Some sites that he has to use only support IE

One of the sites he has to use in his work is nearly ready to support FF, the help desk for that company are looking forward to it.

AV & Malware .... Well, it happens - If they get a working virus for *nix ... well, that'll be the web shut down, as some silly %ge of routing systems run on *nix. The argument of that 'there isn't enough personal computers running *nix to make it worth while" Simply does not hold water ...

Try "******* users are dumb, un-intelligent slaves, who make excellent bots"

Regardless of the OS, it is the blind trust that people put in the 'little' box that allows problems ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditor...xperiment.html

Our public service provider made the news just by doing that .....

The same can be said of some sites that will not function if you have "No Script" installed into your FF browser. Hmmm... refused because of hidden form ? ..... Yup, the system is doing its job corectly. You ought to have heard my sister onto their customer services, then tech area, after she had a 'go' at me over her not being able to pay a couple of bills on-line.

Oddly enough, with the threat of being exposed, said companies now have working sites.

Do not put up with stuff, in the ubuntu environment your voices actually do matter - It is driven by people who use it. If you wish to ask for a new feature - ask !! If you (think) you have a 'bug' report it.

Well, that's my tuppence worth.

Phill.

Beans

Then it should not be the default browser.

The link option is just too easy, a simple shell to ln.

Dolphin has no scripts. Even a 'call with the curent path+file as $1' seems simple enough. Borrow the nautilus code?

The 'open with' is a submenu, it should list at least the default open with right there on the context menu.

These things are just too helpful to overlook. I don't get it. I thought linux was done by people who do things better, more sensible and convenient.

And like I've mentioned before, the file list moves around left and right as if it were trying to be helpful but I find it annoying. It needs a disable checkbox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bunorama View Post
    I have a shortcut on the quicklaunch for a wine app.
    The type icon shows DOS.

Right click > icon settings has no way to change the icon.

Linux is stupid.
    In KDE?
    Once in icon settings, just click on the icon to open an icon selection dialog.
    Works for me on Kubuntu 9.04 and KDE v4.2.2.

But considering that the "icon settings" dialog allows to change all launcher properties, it should be renamed to "launcher settings" indeed. Note that Kubuntu 9.04 does not use the latest KDE release, so it's possible that some bugs have already been fixed. (I was unable to report a bug against KDE v4.2.2 on kde.org because of that)

edit:
    Dolphin has no scripts. Even a 'call with the curent path+file as $1' seems simple enough. Borrow the nautilus code?
    Dolphin DOES HAVE scripts!
    And they work in Konqueror too.

Here's how:
    http://techbase.kde.org/Development/..._Service_Menus
    http://developer.kde.org/documentati...vicemenus.html
    Last edited by KIAaze; October 25th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KIAaze View Post
    In KDE?
    Once in icon settings, just click on the icon to open an icon selection dialog.
    Works for me on Kubuntu 9.04 and KDE v4.2.2.

But considering that the "icon settings" dialog allows to change all launcher properties, it should be renamed to "launcher settings" indeed. Note that Kubuntu 9.04 does not use the latest KDE release, so it's possible that some bugs have already been fixed. (I was unable to report a bug against KDE v4.2.2 on kde.org because of that)

edit:

Dolphin DOES HAVE scripts!
    And they work in Konqueror too.

Here's how:
    http://techbase.kde.org/Development/..._Service_Menus
    http://developer.kde.org/documentati...vicemenus.html
    Thanks for the link.
    And actually... scripts are not really part of desktop readiness issues, but the icon thing is.

The Icon issue ... for Wine and Bash I cannot click the icon. For all my other shortcuts, I can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

well finally Ubuntu installs correct sound drivers etc for x-fi on installation of 9.10 ( still slight bug with it auto muting at startup)

video performance still sub par but looking good

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by losbey View Post
    well finally Ubuntu installs correct sound drivers etc for x-fi on installation of 9.10 ( still slight bug with it auto muting at startup)

video performance still sub par but looking good
    You're lucky. From the dozens of threads I read about that card, it is hit and miss. Good luck if you have to reload

The problem is more with Creative, they've flooded the market with excessive #s of chipsets. It would be easier for everyone, espeically Creative, to have used a common API.

Beans

I had some networking issues which I resolved.
    Everything works fine now.

When the problem started, the KDE network manage widget crashed.
    The network is fixed, but the Network Manager is not visible.
    It is there, I can see it make room when I add/remove it.
    Right click works, can bring up the window.

But the window doesn't show information, it's worthless.
    No IP, no ETH0 no ... nothing.

Why does KDE like this 'network manager' crapware so much to include it?

Desktop Readiness = no crapware.

Beans

Re: Good and bad about Linux (Ubuntu) - or pro and contra comparing Windows

Quote Originally Posted by drbob07 View Post
    The only program I don't have an open sourcce alternative to is Counter-Strike and Ventrilo, both of which run excellently under wine
    But alas, you can use Mangler to replace Ventrilo. It's native Linux and open source. Check out http://www.mangler.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm going to weigh in here, by gosh.

Look, "Ready for the desktop" literally means nothing other than:
    A. Have a desktop?
    B. Will X go on it?
    If A and B are satisfied, X is "Ready for the desktop."

It doesn't mean that a 2 year old can sit down and run Matlab on it.

It doesn't even mean that the "average computer user" can even surf the net on it.

Regardless, still people complain that it's "not ready for the desktop" simply because they can't flip a switch and everything works perfectly. What they perhaps mean is "they aren't ready for Linux/Ubuntu/command-lines/following-instructions/etc..." But as Ubuntu continues to evolve and become more user friendly and support more hardware off the .iso, fewer people will find themselves in that category, and more people will get frustrated with XP/Vista/6.9 and decide, after checking it out, that Linux may be right for them. I've decided it's right for me, but I have so many dissatifiers with Windows that I'd rather blow a couple extra thousand bucks on a Mac than go back, but I'll never do that, because I hate how Apple feels it must control absolutely everything. Linux is the ultimate in giving control to the user. Microsoft pretends to give control, but you lose it with every new app installed, every update.

But soon, I'm going to be putting 10.4 on my family's computers. They will have secure and stable computers without all the issues Windows has, along with all the free software they can use. Why 10.4? It'll be a long term support release, and I won't have them updating with every new release, just getting the patches automatically installed. Once configured, they won't be bothering me about stuff not working.

Linux is gaining ground, and taking users from Windows.
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Page 950 of 952 FirstFirst ... 450850900940948949950951952 LastLast