View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 902 of 952 FirstFirst ... 402802852892900901902903904912 ... LastLast
Results 9,011 to 9,020 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: what keeps me using windows: please read !

Just a few things...

a) as far as i know M$ word doesn't open odt files... and if it does... then why people keep using .doc when odt is the standard format?
    I am a translator and unfortunately i work with .doc files ALL day. i never had any formatting issues.

b) aero works better than compiz? i say bananas are better than corn... what does aero and compiz have to do with each other? aero is a lame glass effect, i don't see a cube, or jelly-like windows... and you need a nvidia 8800 gt x + pro sli supermegaman card to make aero start moving...

c) games? i would agree with that, but wine and cedega would run the wintendo games i want to play (and i never do play wintendo games, since i have tremulous and that's all i need)

d) i say that instead of complaining go and fix the problems you have and if you're not a programmer you can still join the developers' mailing list and provide feedback. try sending an email to ballmer or gates and telling them you don't like aero because it is a resource vacuum... i wouldn't wait for a response.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leo_rockway View Post
    Just a few things...

a) as far as i know M$ word doesn't open odt files... and if it does... then why people keep using .doc when odt is the standard format?
    I am a translator and unfortunately i work with .doc files ALL day. i never had any formatting issues.

b) aero works better than compiz? i say bananas are better than corn... what does aero and compiz have to do with each other? aero is a lame glass effect, i don't see a cube, or jelly-like windows... and you need a nvidia 8800 gt x + pro sli supermegaman card to make aero start moving...

c) games? i would agree with that, but wine and cedega would run the wintendo games i want to play (and i never do play wintendo games, since i have tremulous and that's all i need)

d) i say that instead of complaining go and fix the problems you have and if you're not a programmer you can still join the developers' mailing list and provide feedback. try sending an email to ballmer or gates and telling them you don't like aero because it is a resource vacuum... i wouldn't wait for a response.
    a) it's .docx now, and you can use this: http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/index.html to get word to open odf files

b) why does it work on my 6600GT then?

c) wine and cadega don't play all games and not everyone is like you.

d) probably because you can turn it off?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bb10 View Post
    a) it's .docx now, and you can use this: http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/index.html to get word to open odf files

b) why does it work on my 6600GT then?

c) wine and cadega don't play all games and not everyone is like you.

d) probably because you can turn it off?
    a) well... m$ office should open THE STANDARD files by default. if it doesn't do it then it IS m$ office's fault and not OO.o

b) well... i have an nvidia 440 mx 64mb pci, will it work with that? i'm guessing the answer is no... i can get compiz to work with that. and compiz actually does something... aero is still a lame glass effect, nothing more. no 3d effects at all.

c) then go buy a console... jeez. you don't need to pay the win license to play good games.

d) aero was an example (and even if you can turn it off, it doesn't mean it ISN'T a resource vacuum and that a "good" system deserves better). if you're trying to be picky then riddle me this "what would ballmer say if you asked him of a way to uninstall ie6 from xp?" he wouldn't even answer your mails... now stop disecting my words and go actually help a developer in the linux community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wink Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Other: It has built-in Word Processor (with Spell Check, i know many ppl who would die without OO.org Spellcheck or MSWord SpellCheck), Spreadsheet, and Presentation software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bb10 View Post

Notice how that converter is an open-source project?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    Notice how that converter is an open-source project?
    Not surprising it's under the BSD, MS wouldn't touch the GPL if it was a small rabbit.
    A Fedora user

Beans

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Open office..... they tout compatibility but its a falsehood. Access DB's are nowhere near compatible. I hadn't tried word files but it looks like they aren't either. Can't stand liers.....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
    Open office..... they tout compatibility but its a falsehood. Access DB's are nowhere near compatible. I hadn't tried word files but it looks like they aren't either. Can't stand liers.....
    You're kidding... right?

Beans

Try creating a db with OO and opening it with access....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
    Try creating a db with OO and opening it with access....
    ok... you're kidding, right?

an OO.o database is a standard database... if m$ office can't read standard file types, that's THEIR fault, not OO.o's

EDIT: or do you mean saving it in access file format? if that's the case... then try asking m$ for their format documentation to create a fully compatible program
    Last edited by leo_rockway; November 26th, 2007 at 07:08 PM.

Page 902 of 952 FirstFirst ... 402802852892900901902903904912 ... LastLast