View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 863 of 952 FirstFirst ... 363763813853861862863864865873913 ... LastLast
Results 8,621 to 8,630 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by XogGyux View Post

One thing that disturbs me about linux is that once you install it in your computer, your computer is not yours anymore, but root's so everytime you want to do something you have to put root's password, your HDDs are not yours either, you cannont create a folder in "/" unless you do ir from the terminal (primitive) and by preceding by "sudo" and putting the password. After all this does not offers so much extra security, think about this, linux does not encrypt any partition, so if you really want to access to the partition and you dont have a password you could simply boot the system with a live cd! so in otherwords that "security" only works to annoy the actual owner of the PC, futhermore, for a Home-Desktop computer it is very probable that only trustworthy people will be abble to access (physically) to the computer, so the password function is only annoying. Something that really bothered me was when I installed Azureus and it told me that it will update itself, so i told it, go ahead, and it downloaded the update package and when it was "updating itself" an error poped up saying that it had no permissions to acces /opt/azureus (i dont remmeber if it was opt or opt or whatever) so it took me more than 15 mins to find information and create a "sudo launcher" so i could open the file and change the permissions "graphically" since i dont know the commands to do it from the terminal (neither i want to know them, we are in the 21 century, commands and terminal where past century stuff, from now on, is graphic, and maybe voice in the future)
    if the ubuntu forums had a windows troll bull**** section this would deserve a sticky
    Last edited by garba; August 26th, 2007 at 06:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    There are about two or three viruses for Linux, but they do little to nothing because either the viruses have no central database of info to find out about the system, or SELinux has become so much more powerful, those said viruses can't function.

But, again, stay with the repo's if you can. That's what makes Linux very safe. Else, come ask us first, because many of us already know whats going on in development and can tell you if its safe or not to use. (though 99% of the time, its OK to use)

P.S. Golden rule... NEVER LOG IN AS ROOT!!!

EDIT
    Also, the said viruses were made as research objects, not real threats.
    Yep, I stick with the repos for the most part the only 3 things that I install from outside the repos are my acerhk driver, libdvdcss (more out of habbit than necessity at this point I replaced the optical with an extra battery pack), and Nimbus theme (it's just so pretty).
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by garba View Post
    if the ubuntu forums had a windows troll bull**** section this would deserve a sticky
    ROFL "It is not your's it's root's" that deserves an award.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by prizrak View Post
    ROFL "It is not your's it's root's" that deserves an award.
    +1 ROTFLOL

Beans

Yeah...makes my head spin.LOL This does too:

ABBOTT: Super Duper Computer Store. Can I help you?
    COSTELLO: Thanks. I'm setting up an office in my den and I'm thinking about buying a computer.
    ABBOTT: Mac?
    COSTELLO: No, the name's Lou.
    ABBOTT: Your computer?
    COSTELLO: I don't own a computer. I want to buy one.
    ABBOTT: Mac?
    COSTELLO: I told you, my name's Lou.
    ABBOTT: What about Windows?
    COSTELLO: Why? Will it get stuffy in here?
    ABBOTT: Do you want a computer with Windows?
    COSTELLO: I don't know. What will I see when I look at the windows?
    ABBOTT: Wallpaper.
    COSTELLO: Never mind the windows. I need a computer and software.
    ABBOTT: Software for Windows?
    COSTELLO: No. On the computer! I need something I can use to write proposals, track expenses and run my business. What do you have?
    ABBOTT: Office.
    COSTELLO: Yeah, for my office. Can you recommend anything?
    ABBOTT: I just did.
    COSTELLO: You just did what?
    ABBOTT: Recommend something.
    COSTELLO: You recommended something?
    ABBOTT: Yes.
    COSTELLO: For my office?
    ABBOTT: Yes.
    COSTELLO: OK, what did you recommend for my office?
    ABBOTT: Office.
    COSTELLO: Yes, for my office!
    ABBOTT: I recommend Office with Windows.
    COSTELLO: I already have an office with windows! OK, let's just say I'm sitting at my computer and I want to type a proposal. What do I need?
    ABBOTT: Word.
    COSTELLO: What word?
    ABBOTT: Word in Office.
    COSTELLO: The only word in office is office.
    ABBOTT: The Word in Office for Windows.
    COSTELLO: Which word in office for windows?
    ABBOTT: The Word you get when you click the blue "W".
    COSTELLO: I'm going to click your blue "w" if you don't start with some straight answers. What about financial bookkeeping? You have anything I can track my money with?
    ABBOT T: Money.
    COSTELLO: That's right. What do you have?
    ABBOTT: Money.
    COSTELLO: I need money to track my money?
    ABBOTT: It comes bundled with your computer.
    COSTELLO: What's bundled with my computer?
    ABBOTT: Money.
    COSTELLO: Money comes with my computer?
    ABBOTT: Yes. No extra charge.
    COSTELLO: I get a bundle of money with my computer? How much?
    ABBOTT: One copy.
    COSTELLO: Isn't it illegal to copy money?
    ABBOTT: Microsoft gave us a license to copy Money.
    COSTELLO: They can give you a license to copy money?
    ABBOTT: Why not? THEY OWN IT!
    (A few days later)

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?
    COSTELLO: How do I turn my computer off?
    ABBOTT: Click on "START"....
    "All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one." William of Ockham
    Unanswered Posts Team Beginners Team Tennessee Team
    Please mark your thread "SOLVED" when done, and thank those that helped.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by w4ett View Post
    Yeah...makes my head spin.LOL This does too:

ABBOTT: Super Duper Computer Store. Can I help you?....
    OMFG!!!! That is probably the funniest post I've seen since I've been on these forums... Had to add that one to my signature so EVERYONE can enjoy it Thanks for ending my night on a high note
    Last edited by stalker145; August 27th, 2007 at 04:13 AM.
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

Thanks DarrenM and the other people who responded to my post.

The thing is, I love computing. Its my profession, its my hobby. When I said the excitement about Vista is over - what I meant is the fun I had beta testing it, and before beta with the CTPs and the like. I like new software and being part of the devtest process.

So with what was said here in reponse to my thoughts on Ubuntu I decided to give it another go. Especially when I found out 7.10 has an inbuilt refresh and resolution contol panel which would fix one of my major problems I ran into last time I tried Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

So with alpha 5 in hand I loaded, partitioned and installed. All good. I adjusted my screen resolution, noticing only minor problems like the refresh drop down list was not sorted in order correctly. I set my desired 1280x1029@100hz (21 Sony CRT) and reboot. But then on reboot all I get is a garbled screen after the Ubuntu loading graphic with no apparent way to this relatively new Linux person on what to do next. I have decades of experience and I knew I needed to instruct grub to only boot command line instead of GUI but I dont know what to do from there so I gave up.

Now some days later I just feel that I *want* to share the love you all have obviously for FOSS and this distribution. I want ticker and help the community. I just seem to get so stuck at every turn. Yes I know its Alpha software, but I cant handle the conf edits even though I did a days worth of research on horizontal and vertical refresh rates and how to add the right lines to the conf on 7.04 it still didnt work. So I think 7.10 is the only real option for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bathrone View Post
    Now some days later I just feel that I *want* to share the love you all have obviously for FOSS and this distribution. I want ticker and help the community. I just seem to get so stuck at every turn. Yes I know its Alpha software, but I cant handle the conf edits even though I did a days worth of research on horizontal and vertical refresh rates and how to add the right lines to the conf on 7.04 it still didnt work. So I think 7.10 is the only real option for me.
    Have you tried opensuse?

They have better X configuration tools than Ubuntu.

I also had to fight with xorg conf to get decent refresh rates on Ubuntu 7.04.

Page 863 of 952 FirstFirst ... 363763813853861862863864865873913 ... LastLast