View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 769 of 952 FirstFirst ... 269669719759767768769770771779819869 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,690 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sasanf View Post
    licenses such as GPL are very restrictive on a distributers such as Canonical distributing software that interacts with GPL licensed software. Fluendo has a legal MP3 codec. Canonical can't distribute it because of the GPL licenses of the media software installed on Ubuntu.
    Sorry, but (again) you are totally confused. Take some time to read the GPL and the Ubuntu philosophy.

What I find interesting is that in a country like Iran the people would rather pirate Windows (that doesn't have localization) instead of use Ubuntu which does have localization? There aren't many Iranians that can speak English but to them Windows is still easier to use than Ubuntu.
    What is more interesting is http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_f...tent_id=138464.
    Registered Linux User 425324
    Ubuntu user # 12843
    Wrapping workspaces in Gnome
    Gmail notifier for Dzen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'd read that when Vista was released, it only sold a few hundred copies in all of China in the first week. Take from that what you will.

I'm only getting Vista 'cause of Halo 2... only thing I'd use it for. For everything else there's Ubuntu and XP ^_^.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Why not get an Xbox? They're cheaper than Vista at this point...

Huh, good point . I'd get one if people would be using X-Boxes in the future... you know, in real-life work, companies upgrade, or friends do too, and I don't want to look like somebody who just came out from below a rock and doesn't know anything from the new stuff... I've lived that for about 2-3 years, I'm not gonna let it happen again besides I work as a tech support guy, I have to know the latest stuff and get experience on it while it's still new and I can get it :3.

Besides, my PC is gonna be powerful enough to handle any new game efficiently (saving up for a PCI-E mobo & vid. card) so it's a win-win situation .

Though... <.< I'd looooooooooooove an X-Box, but not now xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DARKGuy View Post
    I'm only getting Vista 'cause of Halo 2... only thing I'd use it for. For everything else there's Ubuntu and XP ^_^.
    I played it on Xbox was wonderful experience till it ended very quick as I was heavy gamer at some point. But it is overall a good game especially playing 4 players together on 1 console on 42"

It shows i don't hate Microsoft.

If I look for Vista alone it costs me about 150£ . If I look at Xbox(as whole brand new )costs you under 50£ with two games free
    Last edited by ukripper; June 23rd, 2007 at 09:51 AM.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The Seven Tools that Linux Needs to Have A Chance on the Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    The average Joe doesn't use Quickbooks or Quicken; nor does he use Photoshop or Visio. He certainly doesn't know enough about Microsoft Office to use any of the features that are not present in Openoffice.org.

Preinstalled Linux is as good, if not better, for the average Joe than any other operating system.
    Probably *your* "average joe" is not the same "average joe" that i know. :@)

You see, for technically advanced users, they have a choice when it comes to what they want to run of their computer. They will be fine with whatever they have in front of them, be it Windows w/IE, OSX w/Safari or Ubu w/Firefox (these are just examples!) -- is doesn't matter what it is. They are very advanced and they will find their way around the OS & software.

But, a lot of people using computers are not technically advanced -- but they still want to use computers and email family members and send pictures back and forth e.t.c. For them, it's sometimes a big fisking deal if the web browser icon moves from the top left to the bottom right. It totally throws them off and confuses them. You can't just tell them to not worry about it, just use Linux, be free, and be happy!!

In my experience, the average joes like to use things like Quicktax, and quickbooks, and their stupid web shots and that god awful KodakShare software that came in the Kodak camera they bought on sale at the source. They don't care they you have Ubutu Linux and Fspot, they want that thing that came with that camera they bought.

In order for Linux to become more popular amongst the masses, it has to:
    #1 - be embraced by consumer electronics vendors.
    #2 - more drivers released by vendors.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: The Seven Tools that Linux Needs to Have A Chance on the Desktop

Now, I disagree with the title of the post... Linux IS on the desktop, and doing quite well thank you very much. But as headings often have to be somewhat compelling to draw audience, we can somewhat forgive the inaccuracy of it.

However, some of his points are well placed if we are looking at wider adoption and use by certain (vital) segments of the user population. So while there are many "I don't use it - Don't need it folks", there are an equal, or greater, amount of users that would benefit the platform if we could bring them on on-board by offering them fully equivalent tools to do the tasks they have at hand.

I am not a graphic designer myself, but I do come from a family that has 3 in the fold and amongst them and their friends/acquaintances know a number of other artistic types that use Photoshop as a primary tool to make their living. When presented with the GIMP, there was interest and a few found it to be capable for general use, but most found it was limited, mainly by the fact that it has no native support for the CMYK color model, and couldn't use it as an alternative for Photoshop in their work flow. There are projects that aim to fill this gap, but they are not yet matured.

Similar points can be made on the Quicken / Office fronts, but as breakfast is ready and the little miss is looking at me with dagger eyes I'll have to take my leave.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    That's not true, you can order ship it from another computer and use the CD on yours.

I must say, the place I live there are some street places where people sell CDs (often windows, photoshop, etc) Ubuntu is becoming frequent there.
    There is an Ubuntu DVD in existence. Aside from that apt makes Ubuntu one of the best OS's out there at the same time making it one of the worst for those w/o internet. Something like OpenSuSE or Fedora Core would be better for offline systems. Having said that, I don't understand what you could do with a computer without internet access. Also at this point it makes no difference what OS you run, you are not likely to benefit from any security enhancements.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by ukripper View Post
    I played it on Xbox was wonderful experience till it ended very quick as I was heavy gamer at some point. But it is overall a good game especially playing 4 players together on 1 console on 42"

It shows i don't hate Microsoft.

If I look for Vista alone it costs me about 150£ . If I look at Xbox(as whole brand new )costs you under 50£ with two games free
    Agreed, I played it with a friend and reached about the point where you were entering Earth City with a tank and all... pretty cool experience indeed.... but since I don't have an X-Box and I wanna finish it...

Also, X-Box will end up just like the Playstation did back in its time... it was the bomb... for a time, then now everyone has an Playstation lying around taking up dust... I'm not saying that Vista wouldn't, but more laptops and PCs and people are getting Vista just 'cause "it's new" and then they'll all start annoying me with Vista stuff - I gotta get ready... both for real-life work and friends.

Page 769 of 952 FirstFirst ... 269669719759767768769770771779819869 ... LastLast