View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 720 of 952 FirstFirst ... 220620670710718719720721722730770820 ... LastLast
Results 7,191 to 7,200 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: I don't like Ubuntu!

It's probably for the best.

You could always set up a dual boot machine with vista and linux. You could use vista as your prime time OS and linux could be your "toy". That's what I was doing until one day I realized that I had everything working in linux and actually liked it better. Go figure.

Be sure to give linux a try in the future (or try a different distro now!). Things in the linux world can change a lot in a couple years time. Remember, ubuntu has only been around since October 2004...not even 3 years!

-teet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i agree with Gmbrdilos. chill dude. problems? ask. solution? tell. simple!

Ubuntu isn't for everyone. Vista isn't for everyone. Use what you like, and what works for you. Cheers, be happy and drive safely.

Now everybody hold on tight while I wrap this thread up into that gigantic ball of bad vibes we call the Linux Desktop Readiness Thread. ... Ready, steady ... GO!
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

I'm sure we're all sad to hear that you've been having such problems. Unfortunately, wi-fi was never Linux's strong point, and for all their advances, many cards still do not function natively. As for your sound device problem, it's probably not so insurmountable, but without any Internet and thus no Google to aid you, I can see it becoming a frustration.

If you're still willing to try Ubuntu, I'm sure we can help you get your hardware up and running. If not, I hope you'll think to try a Linux disto again someday, and I wish you luck for when that happens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: The Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

I don't like Ubuntu! It's NOT easy to work with, very SUPER HARD infact. I can't get my belkin wireless card to install, nor can I get my on-board sound to install.

What good is this OS "Ubuntu" if you can't go online to the internet OR get sound? I tried for many hours and hours and hours. I gave up. I will stay with VISTA!

At least I can go to the internet with NO problem and listen to music.

I know exactly how you feel....

When i first sat down at a computer last year it took me about 2 weeks to realise i needed something called a driver to get the sound going, then probably another week of banging my head on the wall before i found out that your motherboards own site is where you should really go as apose to Driver Guide for such things

Of course that was a WIndows computer but a new OS is a new OS eh?
    Discovering Ubuntu some months later wasn`t any better mind you as i still knew jack but by asking loads of dumb "seeming" questions instead of having dumb "seeming" rants these good folks had me up and running in no time.
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by freesky2 View Post
    I don't like Ubuntu! It's NOT easy to work with, very SUPER HARD infact. I can't get my belkin wireless card to install, nor can I get my on-board sound to install.

What good is this OS "Ubuntu" if you can't go online to the internet OR get sound? I tried for many hours and hours and hours. I gave up. I will stay with VISTA!

ok, and next time your out, buy a stress reduce ball.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by freesky2 View Post

If you had asked for help, you would have received it.

On the other hand - if you'd done your homework, you'd have known that wireless is a royal pain in the backside in many cases, so who, exactly, is to blame?

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't like Ubuntu! It's NOT easy to work with, very SUPER HARD infact.
    WOW another person born with a innate ability to use windows yet somehow missed the linux-education infusion in-utero. What kind of clones are we building? Oh yea, the 'works with windows' kind.

I can't get my belkin wireless card to install, nor can I get my on-board sound to install.
    Well the card installs if you stick it in the side. Getting it to work is another matter. Your on-board sound IS on-board so it is installed already. Once again getting it to work is something else. Do you buy a car and then complain it doesnt fit in your garage - do some research. Sheesh.

What good is this OS "Ubuntu" if you can't go online to the internet OR get sound?
    I can.

I am surprised you manage that actually...

Awww, I am just joking. Group hug......

Beans

all i gotta say is beryl >>>>>>>>>> aero
    [and there are aero themes for beryl/emerald/compiz i believe]
    if you can run vista decently you really really deserve every bell and whistle in beryl for SURE
    whish i could... buddy just installed on 4cpu intel - everything is BLAZING fast hehe

yaknow with the dvd iso one would hope every mode of installation ever would be on it... including alternate and text and server and every other mode... and every darn hardware driver too :>
    as for the rest of it... im not sold on feisty but edgy is rather nice..

i would say [since its my first 2cents in this thread] that linux is more desktop ready than apple... only really lacks applications you pay for that do industry specific things - like photoshop for linux for realz

it would be nice if all windows apps worked in wine perfectly.. but meh nothings perfect ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Pfft, Belkin don't work on Windows right either (not for me in any case).
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Page 720 of 952 FirstFirst ... 220620670710718719720721722730770820 ... LastLast