View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 669 of 952 FirstFirst ... 169569619659667668669670671679719769 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,690 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: What does the average Ubuntu user do?

I spend my time surfing the web, playing games, talking to my friends. Ubuntu for me was way easy to set up and I have some nasty hardware on my laptop (broadcom wireless and ATI x200m graphics). Usually (not always) a hard to set up Ubuntu is not Ubuntu's fault but the user not troubleshooting efficiently. I'm also a full time student in college and have a job where I work 20 hours a week, a girlfriend, a band, and friends.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've never had trouble getting my components to work with Ubuntu. But I don't have a webcam so, I can't help you with that. To answer your question though. Yes I do work, as a Programmer/Server Administrator, and I consider myself very competent with the OS. In my free time, I try to help out on here.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Simply answer Support hardware manufacturers that give the spefications of theirs hardware, and don't buy crappy hardware like winmodems...

Last but not least linux is not windows
    "Linux guys are motivated by their hate for Microsoft, while BSD developers are motivated by their love of UNIX..."
    "Há nos confins da Ibéria um povo que nem se governa nem se deixa governar" - Gaius Julius Caesar (100-44 AC)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It says on your profile you joined in March? So when you first started using windows you where a windows genius in a couple of weeks?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob74 View Post
    Just a question wondering eactly what the average Ubuntu user does! I switched to ubuntu a week or so ago and have been glued to my laptop for almost every free minute I have had. Doing what? Trying to get my damn webcam working! Amongst other things related to basic internet use! I can imagine that no-one who is competant with this OS actually works!!! As I can imagine it would take me years to grasp this OS! And unfortunately I work, so translated into everyday free time I would be at least 50 before I could understand how to install a webcam! I am presently looking for my XP disc!
    I'm sure the point of your post was just to blow off some steam, vent your frustration, etc., so I'm merging your thread into this one (the perfect place to blow off steam).

Now that that's out of your system, it's good to see you're actually asking for help in a support thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Working on the OS seems to be the major thing most user do, at least judging from this forum. I suspect, though, 90%+ Ubuntu/Linux users never mess with the OS after the first few hours of setup. Of course, we rarely see those users here. They are happily doing whatever it is they do. Here we see only the ones with problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: The Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    T
    6. We've heard all these criticisms before. They're not new. In fact, there's even an FAQ about it (although people rarely read it): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CriticismFAQ
    I've just read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CriticismFAQ for the very first time. It's amazing. It could be the standard reply to - I'd say - 80 or 90 % of the usual Desktop Readiness criticism posts - or is that too much rtfm style ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick K View Post
    Working on the OS seems to be the major thing most user do, at least judging from this forum. I suspect, though, 90%+ Ubuntu/Linux users never mess with the OS after the first few hours of setup. Of course, we rarely see those users here. They are happily doing whatever it is they do. Here we see only the ones with problems.
    Amazing how some people can know exactly what everyone else is or isnt doing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    I've just read https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CriticismFAQ for the very first time. It's amazing. It could be the standard reply to - I'd say - 80 or 90 % of the usual Desktop Readiness criticism posts - or is that too much rtfm style ?
    Most people who complain just want to feel heard. They don't really care if the points have been made before and/or countered before. Unfortunately, most also don't care to actually do something to make Ubuntu better. They'd rather just complain that Ubuntu isn't better or doesn't live up to their expectations.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by spinflick View Post
    Amazing how some people can know exactly what everyone else is or isnt doing.
    It makes only logical sense.

One should not hang around the baggage claim customer service area at an airport and then assume that all or even most passengers on airlines have their luggage lost in transit.

These forums serve two main purposes:
    1. Offering support to those experiencing problems
    2. Offering tips on how to tweak your desktop to look cool or do something cool

Then there's a third purpose that's an after-thought:
    3. Providing a place for forum users doing #1 and #2 to "shoot the breeze" and talk about other stuff.

If all you cared about was a working desktop and you had one, why would you hang out here on these forums and do #1 and #2?
    Last edited by aysiu; March 29th, 2007 at 06:46 PM.

Page 669 of 952 FirstFirst ... 169569619659667668669670671679719769 ... LastLast