View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 52 of 952 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

arnieboy Guest

Re: Linux still needs to be more user friendly to convert Win users

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I don't understand why you're making a distinction.
    am sleepy dude. got a long working day ahead tomorrow. We can carry on with this tomorrow and make this the most talked abt thread in the history of linux forums. Peace.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by arnieboy
    am sleepy dude. got a long working day ahead tomorrow. We can carry on with this tomorrow and make this the most talked abt thread in the history of linux forums. Peace.
    I think it's probably best if we just leave it as is. I don't even know what we're arguing about. Have a good night.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by clehel
    My impression now is that Linux IS ready for average home desktop use, if it can change in just a few areas.
    Interesting. I just saw this article in Slashdot by a longtime Windows user who tried Linux for ten days, and this is part of this conclusion:

If you rely on your computer or laptop as purely a word processor and a device for sending e-mail or surfing the web then by all means, please go over to the Linux side of things

I know a lot of Windows users who purely word process, send email, and surf the web, and I happen to agree with that conclusion as well.

To read the full article, go here:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:1...ient=firefox-a

Beans

I know a lot of Windows users who purely word process, send email, and surf the web, and I happen to agree with that conclusion as well.
    I agree:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...2&page=1&pp=10
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arnieboy
    aysiu --> its good to now that u feel good about the varieties in linux and its many flavors... but if u dig a little deeper u will find that the essential difference among all distros is the way the softwares are packaged. The rest of the differences (like not telling u how to login as root) are too minor to mention. Irrespective of whether Dag Wieers makes a rpm for u or Christian Marillat makes a deb package for u.. u will be using essentially the same kernel, the same GNOME, the same KDE, the same GTK2 and qt and hence the same linux (with a few tweaks here and there).
    Not true. Its also WHAT they chose to include. And where they chose to put the files. And what libs they release with. And what the distro is made for (desktop distro, firewall distro, etc).

If your comment was true, every RPM I can touch could be alienized and be forced to work with Ubuntu. I promise- this is not the case. There is a bigger bunch of differences than choice of packages.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Poofy, that is one of the best articles I've read about Linux, along with oneandoneis2's Linux is not Windows. Thanks for the link!

Beans

Poofy, that is one of the best articles I've read about Linux, along with oneandoneis2's Linux is not Windows. Thanks for the link!
    I must thank you. Your writing inspired me to do that!

(please proof read if you have time please).
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    I must thank you. Your writing inspired me to do that!

(please proof read if you have time please).
    I didn't use my English teacher "comb" on it, but when I read it I didn't see any egregious errors.

Beans

Somewhere someone in this thread said that software and or Linux distributions don.t have to be user friendly , or words along that general theme.

That is a strange thought.

Software is to be used , by users . if it isnt friendly for users to use then it ceases to have a reason to exist.

And as for the holy land of the command line .... Bah its a myth , using the command line is a pain , remembering all the correct BS . The sooner distros reduce the need to use it to about once in a blue moon the better.
    This account is not active.

Knome_fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ
    And as for the holy land of the command line .... Bah its a myth , using the command line is a pain , remembering all the correct BS . The sooner distros reduce the need to use it to about once in a blue moon the better.
    Nope, I'll have to disagree here.
    Using the command line is great and if you know what you are doing very powerfull and userfriendly. In fact I think that having a good command line is one of the greatest strengths of Linux. Btw., MS is currently working on a new and powerfull command line for Windows, because Windows sure is in need of one.

What I think you are getting it is that having to use the command line for "normal" desktop use is a pita and should be reduced as much as possible. I could totally agree with that notion.

Page 52 of 952 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast