View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 952 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: ubuntu ready for end-users?

But really, I think that which OS is better at picking up the other OS is irrelevant in deciding whether Ubuntu is ready for end-users.
    yeah you're right

Beans

I voted :yes warty will be ready but requires installation,configuration and intro by nerd

but this goes for Linux in general.

The ONLY *nix OS that is "Average desktop user" ready is Mac OS X.

If an "ADU" gets lucky and whatever linux distro they choose happens to install right and they have no use for games or professional graphics software then I think most "ADUs" would have no problem with Warty ... however as soon as something breaks, or they want to use javascript in Firefox, or they want to watch a .wmv movie then they need the help of a nerd.

I'm one of those users who in windows is a serious "power user" for Mac OS X I'm better then the "ADU" but not quite a "nerd" or "power user" ... I found warty (which is only my second experience with Liinux ... and the only one I've completely switched to) to be about as easy as it could be ... that said I have a little nerd in me and can figure out how to use the terminal and such.

Linux in general needs to move toward Mac OS X if they want to capture the "ADU" market.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    ....that said I have a little nerd in me and can figure out how to use the terminal and such
    ROFL

Ubuntu's missing features &c

In order to become user-friendly, forthcoming Ubuntu edition needs (in the order of install-config, not of importance):
    1. Graphical install. Text mode is very Debian-like, but many potential users may be afraid of it, even if Windows install is similar.
    2. Manual settings for hardware-periphereals. On 2 computers, mouse port was not correctly detected, and resolution was aside the good values (fortunately, usable; many Linux distros cannot be used because monitor either displays nothing or dispalys flickering lines) This should be done in the final phase of install, including testing (Suse and MDK style). This is much better than letting users guess what they should do, and do not expect them to read hundreds of Unix/Linux documentation in order to find out how to. Also, even if printer (incidentally hp dj 970 cxi) was listed there, upon attempting to print, did not work. It worked after some manual settings. Summing up: manual settings and possibility to test settings before launching X.
    3. A more convenient set of keyboard layouts. In my mind, SuSE 9.x keyboard layout set is best of all Linux distros; and most coherent (note that there is new set for Romanian, finally updated by Misu Moldovan). I would are suggest, if ever possible, a kind of parser/import filter for plainly importing the existing keylayouts in MAC OS X 10.3.x. With few exceptions (e.g. Romanian, which is NOT the standard), all the others are well done, and much above the existing Linux set. Incidentally, perhaps a simpler way to install additional keyboard layouts. For sure, it will not be as simple as in MAC OS X, at least not immediately, but something simpler should be there.
    4. A more coherent basic set of apps and utils, which do not require many megs and with simple and clear settings, for: (1) network (file transfer, printer sharing, work in mixed Linux-MAC OS X - Windows networks, which are more and more frequent); (2) periphereal identification and settings (cable modems, scanners...), the existing features, even if basically OK, are incomplete or not quite clear to use. I think that samba, apple talk, printer sharing... should be installed by default, or - if not so - a step-by-step tutorial should instruct the user what is the best choice for him/her.
    5. A simpler way to install new apps via web. The existing feature works OK, but there is some room for improvement. BTW, is Scribus installable in Ubuntu? given the circumstance it is the only app of this type in Linux, perhaps it should be installed by default, it is only some megs (below 10, I think).

Is there anything I forgot? I shall revert some time later.
    Otherwise, Ubuntu warty works fine, and is quite fast on an older computer on which MDK 9.x-10.x and SuSE are breathing hard; only Vector is faster, but this is another story.

I think hoary will be ready for average desktop end users if a waih type tool is included with it and an option placed in the GNOME menu to start it so that flash, java etc. are installed.

Perhaps the use of GNOME Office instead of OpenOffice.org would bring it to an almost complete form. O yes and Scribus. (Except for like hardware support and languages).

I'm hoping there will be a graphical install and boot to keep average users from being scared away.
    Last edited by saBrEwolf; December 11th, 2004 at 08:34 PM.
    Craig

kde kirritates kthe kshit koutta kme ksometimes - Magneto

Beans

Lightbulb Re: ubuntu ready for end-users?

The only thing I don't like about Ubuntu (and by Ubuntu I mean every Linux distro) is that it can't automatically detect what printer and scanner you are useing and do an automatic net search and download the nessessary drivers. If Linux did that it would draw in alot more users. Afterall why would the average end-user care if it's open or closed source. All they want is for it to work. And as much as I'm afraid to say it "Windows just-works"...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    The only thing I don't like about Ubuntu (and by Ubuntu I mean every Linux distro) is that it can't automatically detect what printer and scanner you are useing and do an automatic net search and download the nessessary drivers. ..

For me installing a printer was just as hard in Ubuntu as in XP. Also in Fedora the printer is automatically reconginized, so this is possible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    Here's what I think users will want, and have been thinking so for a while.

A package management system revamp.
    See http://www.autopackage.org/

It does what you want.

Beans

I voted that it was ready for end users, with nerd/geek/whatever help to setup, but since I've only used the ubuntu live cd so far perhaps i have no right to comment, so take this for what its worth..

Just got home after reformatting a friends computer. She had a windows 98 installation(pentium 3 ,450mhz, 128 ram, 8 gig hd) that was chocked full of viruses, adware etc, and slowed to a near halt through that and the "protection" programs, like nortan, mailwasher, etc etc. The original call for help was because she'd just got broadband and she could'nt get it to work with win 98.I tried, and failed, to get the bb to work, was a bit concerned about how slow the thing was, and ran some check stuff like adaware and avast. Got it sorted with a reformat and installlation of win 2k, several hours downloading patches; all looking good then, feeling chuffed with meself, i took the box back to her house, hooked it all up and ..... omg it don't recognise her monitor, just runs it in some ultra crap safe mode , so i head for google, looking for new drivers and nothing obvious shows itself. No obvious way to manually set the monitors settings either.

Im sure I'll get it fixed tommorrow when im more awake but for now someone please hand me a windows shaped rugby balll, and i reckon I can kick it to New Zealand.

My suse 9.1 dual boot installation was a piece of p*ss compared with this nonsense. I'd imagine ubuntu won't be any different .

Night all

Chris

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by salsafyren
    See http://www.autopackage.org/

It does what you want.

Thats looks nice.

Page 5 of 952 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast