View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 952 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Re: ubuntu ready for end-users?

Quote Originally Posted by HungSquirrel
    Something to think about: I know very few non-geek Windows users who I would trust to do a Windows install unsupervised. Most Windows users get Windows installed by their computer manufacturer. At this point I think the Ubuntu install really isn't much more difficult than a Windows XP install.
    Aren't you exaggerating? I was installing windows when I was 9. Installing Windows is just a process of "click next to continue". I also have a hard time believeing that most users have never installed Windows. Most peoples computers crash don't they? Especially if your a Windows user ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    Aren't you exaggerating? I was installing windows when I was 9. Installing Windows is just a process of "click next to continue". I also have a hard time believeing that most users have never installed Windows. Most peoples computers crash don't they? Especially if your a Windows user ...
    Believe it. Have you seen a "recovery cd" for a windows box the past couple of years? All it does is put an already setup drive install on the computer. The user never installes XP or any windows- its just put on the drive. Usually the options are very minimal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by demon666_nl
    I would like to know why people chose the option grumpy or grumpy + nerd. Just curious.
    Ubuntu is still new. as such, it's bound to have issues that would turn off the average user from switching over from windows.

drivers would be, and would still be IMHO, the main stumbling block to many users switching over to using linux. if all the hardware manufacturers would just allow open sourcing their drivers, THEN u'd see a sudden huge "growth" in Linux.

it's gonna take a while. warty is already way better than expected for a first version and i'm sure hoary is also gonna be a hit. but i think it's gonna take a bit more than that to convince many more people to switch over.

i'll be placing my bets on grumpy

kahping

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm not exaggerating at all. A Windows install still requires a user to make decisions about partitioning. Most non-geek Windows users have no idea what a partition is, and panic! Trust me, I've see it.
    $ whatis themeaningoflife
    themeaningoflife: not found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    Try this:

Install Ubuntu or Fedora on a new computer, without any operating system (Send Windows to /dev/null for all I care). Now install windows, but make sure to keep Ubuntu or Fedora around. Oh, and make sure you can boot into Ubuntu/Fedora (Have fun doing this!).

Now, install Windows on an empty drive. Then install Ubuntu or Fedora, and make sure to keep Windows around, and that you can still boot it.

Was it easier to install Windows or GNU/Linux on an empty drive? Was it easier to install Windows or GNU/Linux on a drive already containing an operating system (without wiping out the other operating system)?

Am I making a point? I don't know. Try it out, see what happens.
    We rarely notice freedom. What we notice is the lack of freedom, and I'm afraid by then it is too late.
    Be a good Ubuntu citizen - Report bugs || http://programmer-art.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

nstall Ubuntu or Fedora on a new computer, without any operating system (Send Windows to /dev/null for all I care). Now install windows, but make sure to keep Ubuntu or Fedora around. Oh, and make sure you can boot into Ubuntu/Fedora (Have fun doing this!).

Now, install Windows on an empty drive. Then install Ubuntu or Fedora, and make sure to keep Windows around, and that you can still boot it.
    I don't think you are making a point. Windows wants to be first on the harddisk otherwise it doesn't work. It's not the fault of the OS that was already installed but just crappy MS ****.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is a nice text about average-desktop-users (noobs)

Regarding High Level Computing
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9021

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, the main point I was trying to make is that it is no harder to install Ubuntu on a blank drive than it is to install Windows. Most people install Windows on a blank drive, which is easy because you don't have to worry about partitioning, and then install a GNU/Linux variant beside it (or at least try to), which is much more difficult and involves a few extra steps. If the situation is reversed, it's easy to say that Windows is much more difficult to install. It all depends on the angle you are viewing the situation from.
    We rarely notice freedom. What we notice is the lack of freedom, and I'm afraid by then it is too late.
    Be a good Ubuntu citizen - Report bugs || http://programmer-art.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel G. Taylor
    Well, the main point I was trying to make is that it is no harder to install Ubuntu on a blank drive than it is to install Windows. Most people install Windows on a blank drive, which is easy because you don't have to worry about partitioning, and then install a GNU/Linux variant beside it (or at least try to), which is much more difficult and involves a few extra steps. If the situation is reversed, it's easy to say that Windows is much more difficult to install. It all depends on the angle you are viewing the situation from.
    true

But most people upgrade to linux after having used windows instead of the other way around. So it isn't very relevant that it is hard to do.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by demon666_nl
    true

But most people upgrade to linux after having used windows instead of the other way around. So it isn't very relevant that it is hard to do.
    However, Windows (for me at least) screwed up far more often than linux, so I had to reinstall Windows and then fix everything that the Windows install messed up.

But really, I think that which OS is better at picking up the other OS is irrelevant in deciding whether Ubuntu is ready for end-users.

Page 4 of 952 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast