View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 102 of 952 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Linux is NOT ready for the desktop!!! Sorry folks.

Linux is NOT ready for the desktop?

Well, not really.

Thats just because you've learned Windows first compared to other OS, i guess. You're used to click setup.exe and its done.

In Windows, you just have to install the software that comes with the hardware, you just wait, and you're done. Most hardware vendors incorporates or ships the installer/driver for their hardware, specific for Windows. Not all hardware vendors produce drivers for Linux. Well, thats just bad. Even I myself, found it easier to install hardware/software in Windows. Its because I get used to it than I get used in Linux.

When you install software in Windows, all is automatic. You just run setup.exe and u're done.

In Linux, its different.

The problem in Linux, in my opinion, is there are alot of distributions. If you have problems and solutions in one distribution, it cannot be applied in other distributions. I mean not all. The focus on improvements are split from different distributions. Unlike on Windows, or FreeBSD, the focus is just one ONE OPERATING SYSTEM. I don't know, its just my opinion.

In Windows, all the files, or almost, needed to install the software is included with the installer of the software. dlls.

In Linux, you must have some additional files to install which is not part of the installer of the software. Some dependencies.

I guess he's referring to the same problem. And we can't blame him.

But only, he should not generalize on "LINUX". There are different flavors of Linux. Some are designed or optimized to be a server, some are for desktop. Only its just not as easy compared to Windows. Especially for beginners.

In Windows, you don't have to be an expert to install software or hardware. You just run the installer or just plugin the device, and you're done. Very simple.

In Linux, its different. Lots of configurations. Not automatic.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well, from the looks of his posts, I don't think he was missing the double click magic of Windows.
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by detyabozhye
    Well, from the looks of his posts, I don't think he was missing the double click magic of Windows.
    No, my complaint that every step I took to install my printer or program gave me errors. All steps I took to remedy those errors gave me more errors. In spite of help from people on the Forum I still have no functioning printer and no installed Linux WP. I should mention that before even installing Ubuntu I found Linux drivers for my printer and instructions on how to install Linux WP so I figured they would be compatible and work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. E
    No, my complaint that every step I took to install my printer or program gave me errors. All steps I took to remedy those errors gave me more errors. In spite of help from people on the Forum I still have no functioning printer and no installed Linux WP. I should mention that before even installing Ubuntu I found Linux drivers for my printer and instructions on how to install Linux WP so I figured they would be compatible and work.
    Like I stated earlier in this thread, try another distribution. I bet those drivers you downloaded and the linux version of WP were designed more for Red Hat or Suse. Give Suse 10 a try and report back to us and tell us if it found your printer and installed WP.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

even though you didnt mention your printer manufacturer, its usually best to check their website for a driver

try enabling CUPS http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=CUPS+login
    Last edited by newuser111; December 29th, 2005 at 03:44 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. E
    I feel it is unfortunate and hope that in the future a distro comes out that is ready for Joe average's desktop. (I'm not a Windows fan either.)
    Translation:

"I don't think Linux is ready till it can run Windows programs and work on all Windows hardware."

This sort of response is why older Linux users give up on converts- its not worth the effort many times.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Right. I guess people just want it to work out of the box.

*continues to search for his mouse forward and back button usage*

Beans
    Hidden!

i still dont get why people keep banging their heads so much and flipping out when **** doesnt work. you are not locked down to ubuntu, believe it or not. you gave this a good shot; it looks like you tried a lot of stuff, and it still doesnt work. try another distro.

i love ubuntu so far in my limited use of it, but if it doesnt work for you, try something else. i ran SuSE for 6 months and submitted a bug report about a problem i was having with my fans constantly running. i worked with the devs and found a half-assed solution. it was good for a few days, but it wasnt working how i wanted it so i jumped ship to fedora. go try something else, rather than say linux is not ready for the desktop. thats everyones last resort

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Dr. E you may want to look at www.distrowatch.com for another linux solution.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans

Word Perfect, lol.

Isn't that what they bundle with computers if your too cheap to pay for microsoft office?

Using linux I've learned taht you can't expect to use the same programs you did in windows because support from those developers often sucks. luckily, everything I used in windows has a linux equivilent that is usually a more capable product. So stop whining and adapt.

Page 102 of 952 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast