View Poll Results: What does "ready for the desktop" mean to you?

Voters
4604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any person can install it on any computer without any problems

1,609 34.95%
  • Anyone can use it once it's already been installed and configured

2,414 52.43%
  • Every commercial application works on it

453 9.84%
  • Nothing--it's a nonsensical term

704 15.29%
  • It automatically detects most hardware without the need to hunt down drivers

2,236 48.57%
  • It comes preinstalled on computers so novice users don't have to install it

889 19.31%
  • It's suitable to the needs of most beginner users but not necessarily to most intermediate ones

568 12.34%
  • Windows and nothing else... not even Mac OS X

46 1.00%
  • Works on my desktop

1,199 26.04%
  • Other (please explain)

166 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 100 of 952 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200600 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 9520

Thread: Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux is NOT ready for the desktop!!! Sorry folks.

As for the printer, get a new one or write the manufacturer. Vote with your wallet.

!
    Yes, but not very practical. If someone is starting from scratch, then they can pick their distro and their hardware. Ah, a perfect world!

Most people haven't got that luxury. They have already bought their computer, and their peripherals, and they want to try Linux. That shouldn't be too unreasonable a desire.

Of course, in future, Dr E might consider buying linux compatible hardware - but I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to buy based upon economics rather than linux evangalism.

EDIT - Yes, I'm going now!
    When someone says 'I cannot do this in Linux, the limitation is not in the software, but simply in their knowledge.'
    Linux User - 380191

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. E
    OK here it is although the errors are now different than the ones I originally got.

dre@home:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i wp-full_8.1-12_i386.deb
    (Reading database ... 76539 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace wp-full 8.1-12 (using wp-full_8.1-12_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement wp-full ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/wp-full.postrm: line 5: type1inst: command not found
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/wp-full.postrm: line 5: /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir: No such file or directory
    dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 127
    dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
    /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 5: type1inst: command not found
    /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 5: /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir: No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing wp-full_8.1-12_i386.deb (--install):
    subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 127
    /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 5: type1inst: command not found
    /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 5: /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir: No such file or directory
    dpkg: error while cleaning up:
    subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    wp-full_8.1-12_i386.deb
    That's pretty helpful, isn't it? Not really like some windows errors.
    It got problems with installing fonts, and that problem is wrong path to mkfontdir and no type1inst command.

Check
    Code:
    whereis mkfontdir
    if it exists go to /usr/X11R6/bin/ and make a symlink to it. e.g.
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mkfontdir
    Type1inst (which is in repos) looks not installed so just do apt-get install type1inst.

And try to install WP again.
    perform miracles.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I moved this thread to the community chat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've already made my thoughts known on this topic:
    http://www.psychocats.net/essays/linuxdesktop.php

I also think people who want to offer support to this new user should do so in the threads asking for support, instead of in this thread.

Beans

Dr. E,

Ubuntu is not everyone's cup of tea. Try the Gnome remaster of PCLinuxOS:

http://genieos.toluenterprises.com/otherstuff.html

It works with everything I've got.

Beans

Dr E, I can understand your frustration especially if Ubuntu is your first Linux distribution. Ubuntu is a great distro but it is a very young one and is not as developed as some others out there. You should consider trying Suse 10 or Linspire or some other distro that may be able to support your printer and will probally install WP Linux much easier. Just because you had one bad experience with a distro that may not have been right for your situation does not mean that Linux is not ready for the desktop. If people had to install their copy of Windows and find the right drivers to support it instead of getting them already installed on their computer, you could make the same argument for it as well. Have you ever had a driver conflict lead to a BSOD? This is the same thing as a dependency problem in Linux. If you cannot get your problems resolved in Ubuntu I recommend you give Suse 10 the evaluation version a shot. The only difference between it and the full version is you do not get free support or printed manuals. It includes all the propietary software of the full version and it is free. Sorry if I didn't use paragraphs, I just got to typing and was not paying attention.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

You could try running WordPerfect for Windows using Wine

Beans

Corel's wordperfect 2000 for linux actually ran under wine. Which may explain why it's such a bear to install and get working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dr. E, sorry but I think the title of your thread is not appropriate.

There are many GNU/Linux Distributions and you might be able to find the one which works best with your hardware. There are some distros which are aimed at newbies (PcLinuxOS, SimplyMepis, Linspire, Xandros, etc.) others which are aimed at server administrators, etc. Ubuntu is not Linux, it's a GNU/Linux Distribution.

You should say "Ubuntu" is not ready for the desktop instead (and I'll respect your opinion although I disagree).

Anyhow it would be even more appropriate to say that Ubuntu is not for you or your hardware. I think you shouldn't generalise.

I don't use Windows any more and I have all I need with Ubuntu. And I use it for desktop use (I have it on my laptop too).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. E
    WP problems aside, there is no such thing as non-proprietary hardware. The Forum is full of people with hardware compatibility problems that raise serious questions about Linux's suitability. Using the term self-centric is a bit of an ad hominem attack wouldn't you agree?
    That is why, if you are part of the minority, you SHOULD check for compatibility issues, I know that the newest printers, scanners, all-in-one's and other gadgets from HP are fully supported in Linux through the HPLIP software. Also there's allways manufacturers that support linux, and others that don't care about us... so if you buy new hardware... make sure it is listed on the compatibility list.

And about your problem, It is a dependency problem... wich will happen most of the time you install 3rd party software that are not Linux native, but you just have to find the depencies you are looking for in google or somewhere else.
    Free your mind...

Page 100 of 952 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200600 ... LastLast