Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning to use Blender.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Learning to use Blender.....

O' Fellow Artists of Ubuntu......

I would say that these days I am quite competent in using GIMP. I can create pretty much what I want with relative ease using GIMP nowadays. And Inkscape is very easy to use in any case. I don't really use it much, so I've never really discovered it's full potential, but it's good for the things I need.

This has led me to the daunting prospect of using Blender. I tried a while ago to use it and failed miserably. I just did not understand it at all.

So do the peeps out there know of some good Blender tutorial sites that help complete n00bs, like me? 'Cos I need to start right from the beginning.

/izo
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Learning to use Blender.....

I have just started learning to use blender after switching from windows. Never bothered using it before, its really good. Here are a couple of links i have used.

http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

The videos you can download to your computer. Hope these help.

The video tutorials on the Blender site were really good for me. But you have to realize that it's one thing to learn Blender's interface and another thing to learn principles of 3D lighting/modeling/texturing/animation.

I learned the general 3D principles using the software linked in my sig, and later on, when I started getting more experience in Blender, I found that it was easier to learn Blender because I only had to pick up the interface quirks; I knew how the principles of 3D design worked already.
    "A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"
    My kickawesome web design business...powered by Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by maruchan View Post
    The video tutorials on the Blender site were really good for me. But you have to realize that it's one thing to learn Blender's interface and another thing to learn principles of 3D lighting/modeling/texturing/animation.

I learned the general 3D principles using the software linked in my sig, and later on, when I started getting more experience in Blender, I found that it was easier to learn Blender because I only had to pick up the interface quirks; I knew how the principles of 3D design worked already.
    Hey, I've already bookmarked your 3D gallery! You are ace. I only hope to get as good as you one day!

/izo
    Running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on: Intel Pentium D 3GHz, 2Gb RAM, ATi X1950 PCI-E.
    See my website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Paul820 View Post
    I have just started learning to use blender after switching from windows. Never bothered using it before, its really good. Here are a couple of links i have used.

http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

The videos you can download to your computer. Hope these help.
    That second link is how I learned. It teaches you a lot. I think you probably learn most through experimenting once you've learned your way around the interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

there is a great magazine http://blenderart.org/download.html

I got the book, it is really good to.Once you know it, you know it. It is like wearing gloves.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Very nice work maruchan, i had a look at your website also. And also thanks to lyceum for the link to the free magazines. They look like an interesting read. Guess i have some work to do

Quote Originally Posted by Izobalax
    Hey, I've already bookmarked your 3D gallery! You are ace. I only hope to get as good as you one day!
    Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul820
    Very nice work maruchan, i had a look at your website also
    Thanks!

I hope you both have a good time studying 3D - it's a lot of fun and a very versatile medium. My computer graphics students really wish they could study 3D at our school (a local college), but we just don't have the lab resources for that yet.

Tonight was our last class of the semester (Computer Graphics class focusing on Adobe Illustrator) and I showed them some work in Blender and other 3D apps. The students were very surprised at the quality of work created with free software, and quite a few gasps were heard.

Lately I've been picking up MtPaint and doing some pixel art...I just love having an open desktop with all these tools.
    "A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner"
    My kickawesome web design business...powered by Ubuntu

Beans

You are pretty good! Did you do all those with Blender? I especially liked your coronet.
    My blog:
    www.redmoose3d.blogspot.com
    Hope you enjoy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Wow. Impressive. The skippingstone was quite funny.
    Been using blender for quite some time. Not to good in it but there is still some time.
    http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9237/001envsp7.jpg
    And the best way for me to learn blender was just going down on it for countless hours untill I get what I need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast