Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing project templates in Netbeans on Ubuntu

Beans

Missing project templates in Netbeans on Ubuntu

I am new to Ubuntu and Linux. I installed NetBeans but many of the new project templates were missing. I installed the same version (5.5) on my Windows Vista and it displays all the templates. I reinstalled netbeans several times changed and reinstalled JVMs (I am using java6 now) but to no avail. I tried the .deb packages as well as .bin installations but still no progress. I googled a lot but could only find a few posts with the same problem but no solution. Is this something inherent to linux or am I missing some sort of configuration. I appreciate your help.

Beans

Re: Missing project templates in Netbeans on Ubuntu

I'm having the same or at least a similar problem. When I try to create a new project I have the categories "Sample" and "Standard". The only project type for "Standard" is "Java Project With Existing Ant Script." I don't have one of those, so I can't create a new project. I'm used to seeing quite a few more categories than this on both sides.

I'm also having trouble opening existing project files. They have the little project icon on them, but when I click to open them the icon changes to a regular folder and I can't open them as a project.

I'm running java 6, Netbeans 5.5.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

No problems for me.

It shows all the standard project templates and wizards:

Are you guys running Compz/Beryl or "Desktop Effects" (actually Compiz)? If you are, then turn them off.

Otherwise, something is serious kooky with your configuration or installations. Try downloading the installation binary again, maybe it was corrupted.
    Last edited by samjh; May 21st, 2007 at 01:37 AM.

Beans

This is what I get. It's missing most of the categories and has an extra Standard category.

I was running Compiz, but Netbeans didn't load at all so I turned it off. I guess it's a weird configuration issue. I'll try installing again.

Beans

After uninstalling completely and reinstalling with a new netbeans download I'm still getting the same problem.

Is it possible to create new templates, or add downloaded templates?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

If all fails, try using the archive distribution downloadable from this page (bottom half of the page):
    http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/all.php?b_id=2323

Just extract the files to a directory of your own choosing, navigate to the bin directory and run the launcher.

You might even want to compare the files in the archive distribution with the files installed by the binary installer to see if there are any differences.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Try to update netbeans , did the trick for me.
    Go to menu Tools and select Update Manager.

Beans

Aha! Brilliant! I still don't have all the categories I had in windows, but I've got the General category with Java Application now, which is what I really wanted. Yay!

Beans

Still no luck. I ran the update and some of the updates failed. Was there a specific module you updated that gave you the functionality? would appreciate any help.

Beans

I'm not really sure which one worked, I installed just about all of them except for the ones that had to do with mobile applications or web applications because I don't have the extensions for those ones to work. So I don't know which one in particular helped. There was one that had something to do with opening project files, you might try that one.

There was at least one that said the update was already installed and would I like to write over it, and I said yes to all of them. That might have made a difference too.
    Last edited by haloedrain; May 21st, 2007 at 09:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast