Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happens in 2011 with Ubuntu LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What happens in 2011 with Ubuntu LTS?

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I thought Dapper was supported for 3 years on the desktop and 5 on the server. Why would there be another one before at least 3 years?
    Not everyone wants to upgrade more often than that. In some instances, it is preferable to install and let the installation sit for 3 full years with only security updates, then migrate the data and do a fresh installation.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

But I mean if Gutsy +1 is supposed to be the next LTS, it will be well before the 3 year life of Dapper is done.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

But I mean if Gutsy +1 is supposed to be the next LTS, it will be well before the 3 year life of Dapper is done.
    Other people like to update from stable version to stable more often, every 2 years or so, to get the latest versions of software packages and so on.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Ah, now I see. Thanks.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

I thought Dapper was supported for 3 years on the desktop and 5 on the server. Why would there be another one before at least 3 years? Just wondering. I'll be looking forward to the next LTS It would be cool if you could go from Dapper straight to the next LTS.
    Well, RHEL2 is supported until 2009, and RHEL5 has recently been released, so Ubuntu certainly wouldn't be alone in doing this. It gives users more flexibility about when and how to upgrade.

About the original question, you could tell him to install Debian Etch, you can count on support for that for a while to come. Plus it is extremely robust and as 'Free' as humanely possible.

Beans

This is personal opinion. I don't think there will be major issues in upgrading from 6.06 to 11.04 when it is released. There will probably be appropriate procedures in place to make this possible. The area that issues will more than likely arise is custom apps, php, ???sql databases etc....anything essentially added to the system after install. However after 6 years of running on the same box, I'd personally think of either a) time to retire the machine and replace with something new. After 6 years the old hdd are probably worn out and coming to the end of their cycle. I know I know, there are probably people out there who have run the same server for 10 years or more, yet if I was responsible and required reliability, the minor expense in purchasing a new server would be well worth the money, and b) the system would more than likely wind up a bit messy ie; 6 years of applying little hacks and fixes etc for short term problems.

I can understand being worried about it now, get in early to resolve the problems. But i think by then things would have changed for Ubuntu as a distro and yourself when it comes to requirement of business and the server.

Just my 2 cents.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I thought Dapper was supported for 3 years on the desktop and 5 on the server. Why would there be another one before at least 3 years? Just wondering. I'll be looking forward to the next LTS It would be cool if you could go from Dapper straight to the next LTS.
    So you have time to upgrade...there'll be a year of time to prepare and test (sysadmins like to run their own tests before deployment) and upgrade. If you have a lot of servers it can take a while.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12