Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Trusted Computing must be stopped

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trusted Computing must be stopped

Quote Originally Posted by phenest View Post
    It is the nature of some to destroy what they do not understand. It would be sad to destroy a new technology only to discover we are wrong.

To start the facts rolling, can anyone list the TPM chips capabilities, and does anyone know what the TPM modules in Linux actually do?
    Exactly my point.... first all facts and then opinions

TPM specs page
    https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/groups/tpm/

Open source solution
    http://www.sirrix.com/content/pages/tpm%20manager.htm

Also URLs to trusted Grub and Knoppix

Knoppix info
    http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/...CD20071105.pdf

http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/index-en.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by phenest View Post
    When I say I want to see proof, I mean I want to see proof of its potential. I agree that waiting for evidence that the TPM chip has already been exploited is fruitless. But we DO need evidence that are suspicions are correct. Can anyone prove that it is actually possible for it to be exploited? All links to date are either nothing to with TPM, or are solely surrounding the likes of MS and Apple.

It is the nature of some to destroy what they do not understand. It would be sad to destroy a new technology only to discover we are wrong.

To start the facts rolling, can anyone list the TPM chips capabilities, and does anyone know what the TPM modules in Linux actually do?
    I can't make heads or tails out of the specifications in those documents. However.

Proof that it can be done is seen with the IPOD. If it can be done here it can be done on a pc also.

I know the thread is called TC must be stopped. What really needs to be be done though is to find a way to keep TC in check.

It's all about security, many abuses come in the name of security. If security is seen as a problem what is the solution. Tighten security, how is this done, restrictions. The question is what kind of restrictions? No we don't know but a chip on the mainboard that checks the compliance of the software and the hardware is something to pay close attention to.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    I
    I know the thread is called TC must be stopped. What really needs to be be done though is to find a way to keep TC in check.

Yup and this is probably a challenge... RIAA and MPAA are probably
    cheerleaders for this fan club...

Everyone removes DRM just now....

EU encouraging DRM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...&highlight=DRM

I am 100% sure that EU looked at the TPM chip and not software DRM.

A challenge...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    This is something I mentioned in a previous post. If TC are genuine, they need a strict licence agreement for 3rd parties to ensure it is not exploited. If they are not genuine, then it needs to be taken to an authority who would restrict its use, thus prevent exploitation. The latter is probably the best option whatever the intentions of TC.
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans

Something tells me the EU will have a field day with this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Æniad View Post
    Something tells me the EU will have a field day with this.
    I hope so- ill be moving to Europe if this becomes established in the US, and im not kidding.
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phenest
    If TC are genuine, they need a strict licence agreement for 3rd parties to ensure it is not exploited.
    Whom do you refer to as "3rd parties"?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Whom do you refer to as "3rd parties"?
    I'm wondering if that matters. I mean, is there an example in the history of humanity... Where any person, group, etc. with a system without checks and balances can be 100% trustworthy?

Without someone being accountable, it seems abuse of power is inevitable. You can see examples with current events, and throughout history.

This experiment, shows that with people, sadly it doesn't take very long to kick in. Sheds light on certain behavior frankly...

Now for something minor (very minor in comparison), deleting files, deactivating or crippling hardware, monitoring usage, gathering data, etc...
    If you want trust, you've got be open and transparent. Not cloak and dagger, black boxes. If you want security use encryption, not some license agreement and mystrerious hardware to lock down an entire Personal Computer. Trust data from that source?
    Don't want people to download willy nilly, make sure it's available, and that people actually want to buy it. Doing it from the other end hasn't been effective.

My 2 cents.

Why bother with TPM on a PC, why not just make a small set top box. Works for tivo, right? Unless Linux goes GPLv3, it's perfectly feasible with less hassle and annoyance.
    Last edited by FranMichaels; January 16th, 2008 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Details
    Pears for your heirs
    My GNU/Linux and Emulation blog.
    Resources for the nostalgic emulation enthusiast.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
    I hope so- ill be moving to Europe if this becomes established in the US, and im not kidding.
    If this seriously happens, I will be wanting to moving to Europe when I go to college. I will probably try to buy a non-tc computer before they all get sold out too.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213