Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Howto: Happy ALSA, OSS, ESD, with Duplex - Sound Settings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Howto: Happy ALSA, OSS, ESD, with Duplex - Sound Settings

Yeah, me neither on that front. I figured it was just something to do with the difference in Ubuntu versions, I know it says Intrepid on the left, I just upped to Jackal this morning and I'm still trying to sort stuff out. Didn't see that option under either, though.

The problem I had under Intrepid was I could play music (through OSS, I think) but no sound effects played, at all. And, since the upgrade/update manager simply updated Ubuntu (shock!), it kept all the settings from 8.10.

Now, me being me, I went ahead and tried to install a Realtek AC97 driver, which is my chipset AFAIK... which failed to compile saying it needed a "curses library"... which I have, I have them all installed off synaptic. After that, I have no sound full stop, no matter what I do. I've tried the instructions here many times in various guises and am still seemingly no closer.

I hate still being a newbie.

Edit: After some (minimal) soulsearching, I found this page, which is relevant to my laptop, I've hotlinked straight to the sound section. I'm guessing the guy's written it for a different distro, but I can't for the life of me work out what to do for the first step, it mentions /etc/rc.conf, which I don't have... any help?
    Last edited by Xyonofcalhoun; April 21st, 2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Beans

Re: Howto: Happy ALSA, OSS, ESD, with Duplex - Sound Settings

In order to compile something, you need the *-dev packages for the dependencies. Do you have libcurses-dev?

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516