Thread: just installed ubuntu it works really hard 100 percent

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

just installed ubuntu it works really hard 100 percent

i installed ubuntu with wubi on a dell 1150 inspiron 2.40ghz celleron 256 ram.It works very hard the whole time. the fan is on intire time. when doing nowthing it works still. what should it do

Beans
    Distro

Re: just installed ubuntu it works really hard 100 percent

it takes a very long time to open things like terminal and i think that it didnt open.i thought ubuntu was supose to be fast! thats why i installed it? what can i do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've never used Wubi, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. So try this:

Open up the Terminal, and type:
    Code:
    You'll be presented with a table of processes running (basically the applications running). Check and see how much CPU utilization the top few processes are taking.

If any process is taking more than a few percent of CPU, then please post the process name here. If you can make a screenshot (print screen button), then all the better.

Beans
    Distro

i blew out my fan on my dell. and now it is much quieter. WHich happens offen with dells. but still when i open firefox it says starting firefox then nothing happens then 30seconds later it opens. i will check out the top.

Beans

That's not normal. What version of wubi did you use? Can you check processes and disk activity?

Beans
    Distro

before the swap file starts it says that the virtual.dsk or something directory could not be found and it says FAILED. is that bad? The light on my laptop that tells me when the computer is working hardly blinks. It really took 8 mins to open firefox today. weird and this is on ubuntustudio and ubuntu. im going to try xubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miketowninc View Post
    before the swap file starts it says that the virtual.dsk or something directory could not be found and it says FAILED. is that bad?
    If it's about extra.virtual.disk or programs.virtual.disk, you can ignore the error

The light on my laptop that tells me when the computer is working hardly blinks. It really took 8 mins to open firefox today. weird and this is on ubuntustudio and ubuntu. im going to try xubuntu
    I'll see if I can do something about it.

Beans
    Distro

Cool. I have xubuntu and it still goes farly slowly but definitely faster by a little bit.