Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 Distros-My PC won't boot Linux?

Beans

Re: 3 Distros-My PC won't boot Linux?

Code:
    default 0
    timeout 1

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies /wubi/boot/linux
    kernel /wubi/boot/linux find=/wubi/boot/linux ro noapic nolapic 
    initrd /wubi/boot/initrd
    boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.

title Ubuntu (Original Kernel)
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies /wubi/boot/linux
    kernel /wubi/boot/linux find=/wubi/boot/linux noapic nolapic ro
    initrd /wubi/boot/initrd

Beans

hi, this is my frist time ever trying out linux. After the second reboot i would get the fancy ubuntu screen and after that some carbon fiber looking screen ( where the lighting would just fade in and out). When that screen appears my computer would totally freeze w/ my keyboard locking up. I can't do anything but a manual reboot. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Good Morning, do you mean me to delete everything after- #updatedefaultentry=false- and then add your ammended code?
    Thanks for your tremendous support, John Williams

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aqueous View Post
    hi, this is my frist time ever trying out linux. After the second reboot i would get the fancy ubuntu screen and after that some carbon fiber looking screen ( where the lighting would just fade in and out). When that screen appears my computer would totally freeze w/ my keyboard locking up. I can't do anything but a manual reboot. Any suggestions?
    If that is after the progressbar has fille up, it is probably an X configuration issue. You should check the general support forum for that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
    Good Morning, do you mean me to delete everything after- #updatedefaultentry=false- and then add your ammended code?
    Thanks for your tremendous support, John Williams
    Just replace c:\wubi\boot\grub\menu.lst with the above.
    PS I am not really convinced you did actually complete the installation...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi. Ok I went into K:\wubi\boot\grub\menu1st and dragged it into notepad. I deleted everything and copied and pasted your ammended code. I'm afraid it doesn't seem to have made any difference. When I tried to boot I got a couple of rapid black with white text pages (as before) then the black splash page with the ubuntu logo and the orange bar. This only moved a few centimetres as before and then stopped. I don't seem to be getting anywhere it's most disappointing. Thanks and have you any more suggestions. John Williams

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnwillyums View Post
    Hi. Ok I went into K:\wubi\boot\grub\menu1st and dragged it into notepad. I deleted everything and copied and pasted your ammended code. I'm afraid it doesn't seem to have made any difference. When I tried to boot I got a couple of rapid black with white text pages (as before) then the black splash page with the ubuntu logo and the orange bar. This only moved a few centimetres as before and then stopped. I don't seem to be getting anywhere it's most disappointing. Thanks and have you any more suggestions. John Williams

Can it be that you have another wubi folder on a different partition and that is used instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I don't think so. I did a search and posted the result previously. I have the Wubi installer file on my desktop with the logo. If I try to open that I think it will install again. Just ran a search for Wubi on my C. drive and found this- WUBI-7.04-test2 on my desktop, WUBI-7,04-TEST2-EXE-IC249....C:\WINDOWS\prefetch and WUBI-PWD,EXE-3908AE18.pf...C:\WINDOWS\prefetch
    I can't seem to locate the prefetch files but they are somewhere in C. The Wubi folder installed on K. New Volume which is a part of C.
    John Williams

Beans

All you have to do is open each drive: c:, d:, e:, f:, g:... and see if there is a wubi folder in there.
    Also check the menu.lst that you find in the ROOT of each of those drives. It should only contain

default 0
    timeout 1

title Ubuntu
    find --set-root /wubi/boot/grub/menu.lst
    configfile /wubi/boot/grub/menu.lst

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hello. Not sure exactly what you mean by ROOT but have searched all drives. I found the prefetch files in WINDOWS on the C.drive. Also opened the Boot Configuration Settings on the C.drive and found this
    -[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
    c:\grldr="Ubuntu"

Is this of any help? John Williams

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast